Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2015, 06:46 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesomstudent View Post

Also, regarding Bass Pro Shops, it would not surprise me at all to see them at Tanyard Station. I feel like local officials are dropping that name quite freely and frequently which makes me more confident of a deal in the works. It would be the first in the state and would be an excellent location, as Barboursville is already a retail destination and has a history of bringing "first-in-the-state" businesses.
I'm not ruling out the possibility, but Bass Pro tends to build stores in larger metro areas. Most of their stores are either in larger cities, in tourism focused areas, or along busy national highways. Outdoor World Retail Stores - Bass Pro Shops

I honestly believe that the names that are being flaunted are simply to raise eye brows. Seeing a Field & Stream locate very close by is making me believe Bass Pro is not looking into coming because the area couldn't support both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 07:21 PM

4,953 posts, read 8,949,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I honestly believe that the names that are being flaunted are simply to raise eye brows. Seeing a Field & Stream locate very close by is making me believe Bass Pro is not looking into coming because the area couldn't support both.
You mean like the Charleston situation with Gander Mountain almost right next to the Cabela's with both a pretty good distance from the interstate? These would both be right off of the interstate with one attached to the largest mall in the state. They would also pull pretty heavily from Kentucky, Ohio and Southern WV as well. Maybe Field and Stream is coming in because they know something bigger is coming and Dick's doesn't want to lose all of that aspect of their business.

Everything is speculation of course until construction starts. You never know though.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
You mean like the Charleston situation with Gander Mountain almost right next to the Cabela's with both a pretty good distance from the interstate? These would both be right off of the interstate with one attached to the largest mall in the state. They would also pull pretty heavily from Kentucky, Ohio and Southern WV as well. Maybe Field and Stream is coming in because they know something bigger is coming and Dick's doesn't want to lose all of that aspect of their business.

Everything is speculation of course until construction starts. You never know though.
Solid point, although Gander Mt isn't anywhere in the same league as bp/f&s/cab. It will b interesting to see these rumors come to fruition! I'd like to see a REI somewhere as well; but for one they cater to a whole different niche of outdoor recreation, and two they locate in wealthier areas.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:45 AM

There's a new bakery downtown. The maple bacon scones are especially good.

New bakery showcases popular hotel treats | Features/Entertainment | herald-dispatch.com

Old 10-25-2015, 11:21 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times
It may have been earlier in this thread but I mentioned I would like to see a REI store too. Like you mentioned though, we may not have the demographics for a REI.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:03 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,354 times
I'm just going to go ahead and say it. I am just not nearly as impressed with this as most other people seem to be. Yeah I get it, development anywhere in the area is good news. However, it's just another suburban complex that is actually counter productive. Every city in the nation is investing more into their city cores because they know that's what will really bring people in (especially the young). This will certainly be good for the area, but I just think that there are more exciting things going on in Huntington (yep I'm biased lol).

Overall, instead of a Bass Pro Shop, I would prefer 10 small businesses in downtown that combined sold the same merchandise. Or even instead of downtown Huntington, small businesses in the downtown Village of Barboursvile that sold the same things. It would be so much more interesting.

Anyway, that's all. Lol

Old 10-25-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
I'm just going to go ahead and say it. I am just not nearly as impressed with this as most other people seem to be. Yeah I get it, development anywhere in the area is good news. However, it's just another suburban complex that is actually counter productive. Every city in the nation is investing more into their city cores because they know that's what will really bring people in (especially the young). This will certainly be good for the area, but I just think that there are more exciting things going on in Huntington (yep I'm biased lol).

Overall, instead of a Bass Pro Shop, I would prefer 10 small businesses in downtown that combined sold the same merchandise. Or even instead of downtown Huntington, small businesses in the downtown Village of Barboursvile that sold the same things. It would be so much more interesting.

Anyway, that's all. Lol
Your right that we should be rooting for businesses to move downtown instead, but I think people (myself included) get excited when any kind of new retail or business comes to any part of town because WV cities have been so far behind other cities in these sorts of developments that we are simply relieved to get anything. I know that I for one want to see more retail and dining in downtown Huntington and Charleston, but I'm pleased when I hear news of any kind of development.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:29 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I'm not ruling out the possibility, but Bass Pro tends to build stores in larger metro areas. Most of their stores are either in larger cities, in tourism focused areas, or along busy national highways. Outdoor World Retail Stores - Bass Pro Shops

The mayor of Barboursville appeared at the rotary club and said that he is working on a deal to attract Bass Pro Shops to the area.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:01 PM

51 posts, read 66,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post

Anyway, that's all. Lol

I never understand the mindset that suburban development is a bad thing and if it is happening is to the detriment of downtown development. Small downtown local businesses are great and will attract the locals, but a large suburban development with well-known stores that aren't available anywhere else in the area is going to draw customers from a large radius to shop and spend money in the area. Honestly, I rarely visit downtown unless I have a specific reason to be there. It is all a matter of taste. I live and work in the eastern part of the county and have no reason or desire to go into Huntington. When I travel, I do enjoy visiting the downtown areas of larger cities where there are interesting things to see and do, but to me, there is just nothing in downtown Huntington that interests me. I think downtown Huntington needs to focus on attracting businesses and attractions that will appeal to Marshall students and young professionals (although I think this is a very small group due to the lack of good jobs in the area). It is not a bad thing if downtown caters to that demographic while the Barboursville area targets the older, more established suburban crowd (families with kids, etc.) since that is mainly who lives there. I think there remains a bit of jealousy by those in Huntington when something good happens in Barboursville. This is the kind of thinking that continues to hold Huntington and the entire area back.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:23 PM

It's not about jealousy at all. It's about sustainability and keeping money locally rather than sending it to corporate in another state. I agree that everything has it's place and helps to build the area. A large big box store isn't going to go downtown and it wouldn't fit well there. The Tanyard Station development will pull more from the mall than it will downtown so nothing lost there. I think the mall being in Barboursville actually resulted in a bigger development and a win for the area overall. Huntington and Barboursville need to work together more for the health of the area.

I know the Barboursville mindset, I grew up there. If there's anything destructive to this area as a whole that I truly don't understand, it is the isolationist, ill will that people there have toward Huntington. People there often paint the worst picture of Huntington in such an unrealistic and untrue way. If Huntington thrives, Barboursville will grow leaps and bounds as the bedroom community it is. If Huntington dies, all of those big box stores will be empty shells because the jobs that are worth anything in this area are in Huntington. If you haven't been downtown in a while, you truly are missing out. Lots of local restaurants and shops you won't find anywhere else to visit. I encourage you to seek the welfare of the entire area rather than only the small pocket where you live. On such a small scale, we are all connected and to do anything else truly is holding this area back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington