Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:04 AM

458 posts, read 617,814 times

Advertisements

I agree that CA has no chance. Boeing is tired of the unions and thousands of aerospace jobs are leaving CA every year because of the high cost of doing business there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 07:32 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,586,582 times
Boeing owns 300 acres between the runways which are a mile apart. The west runway can handle any aircraft flying today or in the future. Landlocked? not really, Saturn V boosters were delivered to Huntsville
via the Tennessee river. The airport owns land if the were required to build additional runways.
Huntsville's biggest obstacle and enemy is aldot.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:03 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,059,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Huntsville's biggest obstacle and enemy is aldot.
Yep...

Old 11-22-2013, 09:05 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,282,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Stiff competition from elsewhere:

Long Beach seeks Boeing 777X - latimes.com
Cali has no chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
California is a union state and not right to work. From several articles I have read, Boeing is going to looking to go away from forced union, which is what killed the Washington location. HSV's stiffest competition is not in California, its Charleston IMO.
Charleston does pose the biggest threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Yeah.. saw this on the news too. It would be great. Huntsville needs to do what is required to get them to choose here and not blow it out of the water.
Battle better not "Belk" this one up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizinva View Post
The one reason Boeing might choose S.C over Huntsville is that we are land locked. These planes will need to be shipped so for that reason alone Huntsville will need to fight hard.

I don't think California has a chance, a lot of Boeing jobs moved out of California and even Northrop Grumman moved their headquarters a few years ago
Agreed 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
No, Boeing currently has many unused acres near the HSV airport, off of Boeing Blvd. Logistically, it seems like it would be the most sense for them to have their manufacturing located there as well.
I spoke with my Boeing clients about this, some higher up people.

The consensus was that there is more than enough room to build this on Boeing land. BUT

Boeing has been hesitant to BUILD and OWN land/buildings here, the big Redstone Gateway offices are leased. In addition, the Airbus in Mobile would seen to be competition, so Bentley can't give one a better deal than another.

They all agreed the Airbus in Mobile poses the biggest threat and SC is more primed and ready.
But they all hope very much for it to come here.

As do I.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:05 AM

513 posts, read 868,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP79 View Post
Keeping fingers crossed
Prayers will be sent up, too

Old 11-22-2013, 01:46 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,037,939 times
From the mayor's Friday update email:

The big talk around City Hall this week is about Boeing and the possibility the giant aerospace company might move part, or all, of its production on the 777X (Boeing's next generation commercial aircraft), from Seattle to Huntsville. Boeing executives met with Governor Bentley and Team Huntsville earlier this week and talks were positive. Our sales pitch is that Boeing could do everything it needs on the 777X here in one place. We have the depth of talent in systems engineering and production, and our area boasts a skilled, high quality work force with a legacy of success in complex aerospace projects. There are a number of sites in the country under consideration, and a decision is expected in a few months. Huntsville can be proud that we are one of the sites. Boeing already employs 2,600 employees in Huntsville and recently celebrated its 50th anniversary in Alabama.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:34 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Agreed that Charleston poses the biggest threat. Also don't forget Wichita.

the biggest question is what tax incentive is Alabama willing to offer to Boeing?

Old 11-22-2013, 05:47 PM

482 posts, read 991,697 times
Disagree about Charleston. I'm not saying or speculating that we're ahead or on top of the list, but Charleston has some serious hurdles to jump to make it work.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:06 PM

168 posts, read 311,386 times
Please explain. From a logistics perspective, CHS seems like a shoe-in. I'm genuinely interested to know what is going against them. I'd love to see HSV win out, but I'm trying to stay objective.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:23 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,282,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Also don't forget Wichita
Eh, my friend works out there, she was part of a massive lay off last year. Her hubby still works there, but expanding it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area