Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 03:32 AM

57 posts, read 86,565 times

Advertisements

I prefer slow, steady high tech growth. Our roads cant handle another big influx of cars. Hwy 72, 20, and the Parkway are packed.

I think HSV is just a bargaining chip for Boeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 01:50 AM

168 posts, read 311,386 times
It's not over yet... the Washington machinists just rejected the counteroffer:
Boeing says Machinists reject 777X counteroffer : Business

Old 12-13-2013, 03:08 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Missourian View Post
It's not over yet... the Washington machinists just rejected the counteroffer:
Boeing says Machinists reject 777X counteroffer : Business
So the new plant obviously won't be in Washington. It will be in whatever right to work state wins the bid.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:02 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Boeing to move up to 1,200 research jobs from Washington - Puget Sound Business Journal

Old 12-13-2013, 06:46 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,844,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So the new plant obviously won't be in Washington. It will be in whatever right to work state wins the bid.
I believe you are right. That was probably the nail in the coffin. It is hard to believe they would rather the jobs leave than agree to a competitive contract. Of course, we have seen this with unions for the last 20 years. They pretty much destroyed Detroit.

It is like they have blinders on and follow along with the union thinking Boeing is bluffing. All they have to do is do a little reading on the decline of the union and the movement of jobs to right to work states over the past couple of decades. I guess a light will come on in a couple of years when they are unemployed and struggle to find a job that pays even half what they were making at Boeing not to mention their benefits package.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I believe you are right. That was probably the nail in the coffin. It is hard to believe they would rather the jobs leave than agree to a competitive contract. Of course, we have seen this with unions for the last 20 years. They pretty much destroyed Detroit.

It is like they have blinders on and follow along with the union thinking Boeing is bluffing. All they have to do is do a little reading on the decline of the union and the movement of jobs to right to work states over the past couple of decades. I guess a light will come on in a couple of years when they are unemployed and struggle to find a job that pays even half what they were making at Boeing not to mention their benefits package.
If you read the link supplied by AirforceGuy, earlier this year Boeing announced that they would move IT jobs out of Washington to other places in the country. Now they've announced they are moving 1200 research jobs out of Washington and 200-300 research jobs out of California, to Alabama, Missouri, and South Carolina.

Boeing is not the only airplane manufacturer. Striking workers could cause delay of Boeing airplanes and in the long run hurt their sames (Airbus, Embraer of Brazil, Bombardier of Canada and Comac of China are other airplane manufacturers).

Old 12-13-2013, 09:12 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,595,970 times
Boeing is not out of the woods yet. After all in 2011 the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) tried to close a new plant in South Carolina that Boeing had spent three years and $2 billon to build. We will have to wait and see if the NLRB and the unions try to blackmail them again.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:48 AM

482 posts, read 991,697 times
It looks like the members are happy with the deal. It's the union leadership (of course) that's screwing them and trying to hold out for a better deal. I think they'll still have one more shot at it. If they don't take that one........hello new Boeing plant in Huntsville (or wherever they choose).

Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,595,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Parker View Post
It looks like the members are happy with the deal. It's the union leadership (of course) that's screwing them and trying to hold out for a better deal. I think they'll still have one more shot at it. If they don't take that one........hello new Boeing plant in Huntsville (or wherever they choose).
It is one thing to bargain with the unions but it is another when the federal government interferes with things. The federal government has almost unlimited power and money and could destroy Boeing if it wishes. The current administration seems content to do the wishes of the labor unions. It is more interested in union power than jobs.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:34 AM

482 posts, read 991,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
It is one thing to bargain with the unions but it is another when the federal government interferes with things. The federal government has almost unlimited power and money and could destroy Boeing if it wishes. The current administration seems content to do the wishes of the labor unions. It is more interested in union power than jobs.
I'm not going to disagree with you, but that's a rabbit hole that I don't have time to go down today .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area