Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:53 AM

165 posts, read 212,199 times

Advertisements

The central issue is not the content of the current museum but the content of the proposed future museum (and whether it is being supported by public funds and/or marketed to public school students as science education).

Actually, there's a second issue. State Sen. Arthur Orr, whose quotes in the al.com article refer to the "lasting benefit" and competition of the museum "with the McWane Center and other places in the state" is, according to his website, the vice president and general counsel of Cook's Pest Control.

Perhaps he failed to declare that conflict of interest to the al.com reporter.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:01 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,037,939 times
Actually, I don't see an issue here at all.

"Privately owned bug museum with religous overtones" does not rank high on my care-o-meter.

The fact is, no matter how good it makes the museum curator feel to have his faith issues on display with the bugs, I don't think his bug museum will effect anyone's afterlife in one way or another.

I would be more concerned that he would misrepresent what the bible says about bug history than if he's trying to teach biblical bug history. After all, a lot of what we have learned about nuclear power from The Simpsons is wrong too. Just sayin'.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:15 PM

825 posts, read 1,035,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Oh boy, here we go . Next, we'll get all the misinformation from the atheists regarding separation of church and state by folks who have no idea what they are talking about.

Please go ahead and move this thread to the Religion forum.
The biggest issue here is a "science" museum that uses bible scripture. The bible is not peer reviewed, nor is it anything resembling a scientific authority.

Now if you wanted to open a museum of modern mythology, the bible makes perfect sense!

Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
I think this thread must be real close to getting locked or moved.
But, in case it isn't I'll weigh in again.

Evolution: a theory. Back when I was a kid dinosaurs were 20 million years ago. Then they found a new knuckle or bone shard and it moved back. Then a new time line was developed and it moved back. Then a new carbon dating machine was introduced and they moved it back a few more million years. It is a theory and a moving target. It can't be proved. Isn't science suposed to be something that can be proved?

Creation: The bible. Back when I was a kid the earth was created in 6 days. It still is. Back when I was a kid in court if you had a witness or written proof it was a fact. It still is. The bible is witnessed, and proved. Every new scientific discovery just proves the bible even more.

The more we remove God from our lives and culture the farther this country slips away from us. It is so sad to see. I am just thankful that I managed to raise to fine kids that have turned into strong Christian young adults. ( who got to take field trips to Cooks while in grade school)
This is the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile. The bible is proved? So the world is flat, 6,000 years old, and the center of the universe?

The fact that you think bronze aged shepherds knew more about science than we do now is truly baffling. If theories are so fallacious, please feel free to test the theory of gravity.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:45 PM

339 posts, read 629,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I have based my opinion on this:

"This small but informative museum was founded by Cook's Pest Control. The displays focus on wildlife found in Alabama, but some feature more exotic specimens. Most importantly, everything is presented from a creationist perspective, so you can enjoy fossilized ammonites and mastodon teeth without being worried by evolutionism or long age propaganda. Some displays even have Scripture verses to accompany them."

Cook's Natural Science Museum, Decatur, AL - Creation Conversations

Apparently the OP is concerned, too, or we would not have the thread.

Does the museum not present the viewpoint of young age creationism? If there are no religious references and it does not espouse such nonsense as fossils being only 6000 years old, I would have no quarrel with it.
I would say that they do not mention anything that would bother creationists or evolutionists. They stay away from the "debate" so creationists like it but there also aren't any anti-evolution views to take away from the "science" in their name. They straddle both sides of the fence to get more people in the door, basic business principle.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:51 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeWilliams View Post
I would say that they do not mention anything that would bother creationists or evolutionists. They stay away from the "debate" so creationists like it but there also aren't any anti-evolution views to take away from the "science" in their name. They straddle both sides of the fence to get more people in the door, basic business principle.
But do they label the exhibits with erroneous "facts"? If they display a fossil, how do they explain it? If all they have is a taxidermy display with the names of various animals and insects with labels giving their names, that could be interesting to look at but hardly justifies calling it a "science" museum.

I take it you did not see any Bible verses displayed?

Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
The biggest issue here is a "science" museum that uses bible scripture. The bible is not peer reviewed, nor is it anything resembling a scientific authority.

Now if you wanted to open a museum of modern mythology, the bible makes perfect sense!
What on earth does this have to do with what I posted?

Old 01-23-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
What on earth does this have to do with what I posted?
I agreed with you that it was not a church/state issue, but I still see a problem.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:35 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
I agreed with you that it was not a church/state issue, but I still see a problem.
LOL - then my mistake for misinterpreting your post.

The topic of religion is always toxic - I rarely even hint at what I believe in open forums. My concern here is mainly with misinterpretation of The Constitution - specifically the First Amendment. Fortunately, there hasn't been much banter in that area.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:34 PM

339 posts, read 629,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
But do they label the exhibits with erroneous "facts"? If they display a fossil, how do they explain it? If all they have is a taxidermy display with the names of various animals and insects with labels giving their names, that could be interesting to look at but hardly justifies calling it a "science" museum.

I take it you did not see any Bible verses displayed?
Correct, I do not remember seeing any bible verses. I would say it is mostly taxidermy displays, which is why I was unimpressed. To go from that to something rivaling the mcwane would take quite a bit more money than they are putting into it. I don't remember seeing any fossils, but again it wasn't enough to imprint any major memories on me. Very meh but the kids enjoyed it and it was worth the gas to drive to Decatur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area