Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 11:49 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The last report I saw was that there is anticipation that the FDA will fully approve the vaccines by the end of this month. Not sure if that will happen or not.
Well it would help if they would get full FDA approval. I'm not saying everyone left will run out and get vaccinated but full approval and lifting the lawsuit immunity for those that receive the vaccine after full approval would bring quite a few hold outs off the fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 11:57 AM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Well it would help if they would get full FDA approval. I'm not saying everyone left will run out and get vaccinated but full approval and lifting the lawsuit immunity for those that receive the vaccine after full approval would bring quite a few hold outs off the fence.
I read last night - can't remember where but it was a reliable souce - that the Pfizer vaccine will likely be approved by September 1. I don't think they mentioned Moderna and J&J.

But you're right - getting full approval will make a lot of difference. I'm not certain, but the mandate for military members may hinge on full approval, so maybe that'll help things along.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:01 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
The reason why holdouts are still holding out is simple. Ego and pride. They don't want to be wrong. They don't want to have been wrong. They don't know how to say "now that I have more information, it's okay to change my mind", because that would be "admitting defeat".

It has nothing to do with FDA approval. That is something that they tell themselves to rationalize to themselves why "they are right" and "everyone else is wrong". But if the FDA approves the vaccine tomorrow, it won't matter, they will invent another reason.

It has nothing to do with the media. They claim it's a media hoax, but they refuse to just ignore the media and go ask their personal doctor. Because they know their doctor will advise them to get vaccinated and tell them the medical and scientific reasoning, absent of the media. It doesn't matter, they will invent another reason.

Pride and ego, that's all it is. Human nature of people who are so unsure of themselves their their own self worth, that they cannot bear to admit they might have been wrong.

I don't watch media anymore concerning COVID. I can't stand it, it's infuriating, from both sides. I have two personal friends who are very good MD doctors who treat COVID patients in Huntsville Hospital. They tell me to get my shot - my family and I got my shot. They tell me that pretty much all of their "serious" COVID patients in the ICU are unvaccinated, many of them for "political" reasons, and that it's sad. And tiring. And frustrating. And mostly sad. First hand eyewitness account from their doctor who I know personally, a doctor whose kids my kids play with. I believe them.

Pride and ego.

PS to add - Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe everyone will go out and get vaccinated when it's approved. That would be fabulous.

Last edited by pkbab5; 08-10-2021 at 01:11 PM..

Old 08-10-2021, 01:07 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
The reason why holdouts are still holding out is simple. Ego and pride. They don't want to be wrong. They don't want to have been wrong. They don't know how to say "now that I have more information, it's okay to change my mind", because that would be "admitting defeat".

It has nothing to do with FDA approval. That is something that they tell themselves to rationalize to themselves why "they are right" and "everyone else is wrong". But if the FDA approves the vaccine tomorrow, it won't matter, they will invent another reason.

It has nothing to do with the media. They claim it's a media hoax, but they refuse to just ignore the media and go ask their personal doctor. Because they know their doctor will advise them to get vaccinated and tell them the medical and scientific reasoning, absent of the media. It doesn't matter, they will invent another reason.

Pride and ego, that's all it is. Human nature of people who are so unsure of themselves their their own self worth, that they cannot bear to admit they might have been wrong.

I don't watch media anymore concerning COVID. I can't stand it, it's infuriating, from both sides. I have two personal friends who are very good MD doctors who treat COVID patients in Huntsville Hospital. They tell me to get my shot - my family and I got my shot. They tell me that pretty much all of their "serious" COVID patients in the ICU are unvaccinated, many of them for "political" reasons, and that it's sad. And tiring. And frustrating. And mostly sad. First hand eyewitness account from their doctor who I know personally, a doctor whose kids my kids play with. I believe them.

Pride and ego.
Maybe, but mostly a non sequitur

Old 08-10-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Pride and ego.

PS to add - Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe everyone will go out and get vaccinated when it's approved. That would be fabulous.
Maybe you are right for the most part. The thing about it is, before the vaccine was ever released to the public the CDC, Health Departments and even those in the medical field said the vaccinations would hit a brick wall somewhere between 50% to 60% and that is where it happened. So I guess we can all debate it, talk about the reasons and excuses and debate those as well but at the end of the day; the population did exactly as expected.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:40 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:

Pride and ego.

I was at my doctor's office this afternoon, and we were discussing the latest happenings. He said to be extra cautious. He also didn't think that full FDA approval would make much difference for the general populace.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I was at my doctor's office this afternoon, and we were discussing the latest happenings. He said to be extra cautious. He also didn't think that full FDA approval would make much difference for the general populace.
Probably not if we are being realistic but we can hope.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:54 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:

Pride and ego.

I think you're on to something here. I had a conversation with a lady today that was similar to this. First, she wasn't going to get vaccinated because it wasn't going to be FDA approved. I sent her the links where they are anticipating approval by the end of the month.

Then it turned to she wasn't going to take a vaccination that used Mercury and Formaldehyde, and linked an article that showed some vaccines do use variants of those. When I showed her the ingredients list for each vaccine (none of which included either chemical) and proved that those chemicals were not in these vaccines, she changed the reason again.

This time it turned to pro life. Vaccines were developed using aborted fetuses and that was against her religion. It's morally unacceptable. She then showed me a video from a doctor who said they did in fact harvest from fetus for some vaccines. I then showed her that Pfizer and Moderna did NOT use fetal cell lines for their vaccine production. J&J did use two fetal cell lines to develop their vaccine. One from 1975 (kidney) and one from 1985 (retina).

I then showed her where the Southern Baptist Ethics & Religious Liberty Committee and the US Conference of Catholic Bishops both agree that using a fetal cell in this instance, when there is no other option to better the health of the public is morally acceptable.

I then asked her if she took the polio vaccine, or any of the other required vaccines to attend school. She said yes. I then showed her that she had in fact, not only taken vaccines developed using fetal cell lines but had in fact had ALL 9 of her children vaccinated with the same vaccines.

She no longer had anything to argue about, so she decided that it was no longer worth discussing and ended the conversation.

If people don't want to take it, just say it. Don't make up reasons to justify pushing back against whatever authority you think is out to harm you.

Yes, it's early in clinical trials. Yes, there is always going to be a risk with any vaccine. Yes, the Government politicians have agendas. Yes, vaccine companies are going to use this to make one heck of a profit. Yes, they are 100% picking and choosing what information to provide to the public. But no, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't consider a vaccine that may just prevent us from dying.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:58 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
If there's one thing American media knows, it's MARKETING!!
And what do you presume is marketing in my sister laying in a hospital bed right now? Do tell.......

I've been through hell 5 times since last July with this virus. Have you? If you ever have the "privilege" of dealing with this first hand I can almost guarantee that you will 100% change your mind.

I was absolutely, unequivocally against any COVIDS related vaccine before my wife got sick. We both were. After a couple of weeks lying in bed at night, not sleeping more than 20 minutes here or there, watching your significant other's shoulders move up and down to make sure she was still breathing your mind will begin to change. The random panic attacks, blood pressure spikes, races to the ER to have to sit in the parking garage for 10+ hours not having a clue what they're doing to her in there will change you. I sincerely hope you can continue living in your dream world where this doesn't affect you.

As cynical as you are trying to be right now, you still don't deserve to go through it if there's even a slight chance that you don't have to. No one does.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:52 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I think you're on to something here. I had a conversation with a lady today that was similar to this. First, she wasn't going to get vaccinated because it wasn't going to be FDA approved. I sent her the links where they are anticipating approval by the end of the month.

Then it turned to she wasn't going to take a vaccination that used Mercury and Formaldehyde, and linked an article that showed some vaccines do use variants of those. When I showed her the ingredients list for each vaccine (none of which included either chemical) and proved that those chemicals were not in these vaccines, she changed the reason again.

This time it turned to pro life. Vaccines were developed using aborted fetuses and that was against her religion. It's morally unacceptable. She then showed me a video from a doctor who said they did in fact harvest from fetus for some vaccines. I then showed her that Pfizer and Moderna did NOT use fetal cell lines for their vaccine production. J&J did use two fetal cell lines to develop their vaccine. One from 1975 (kidney) and one from 1985 (retina).

I then showed her where the Southern Baptist Ethics & Religious Liberty Committee and the US Conference of Catholic Bishops both agree that using a fetal cell in this instance, when there is no other option to better the health of the public is morally acceptable.

I then asked her if she took the polio vaccine, or any of the other required vaccines to attend school. She said yes. I then showed her that she had in fact, not only taken vaccines developed using fetal cell lines but had in fact had ALL 9 of her children vaccinated with the same vaccines.

She no longer had anything to argue about, so she decided that it was no longer worth discussing and ended the conversation.

If people don't want to take it, just say it. Don't make up reasons to justify pushing back against whatever authority you think is out to harm you.

Yes, it's early in clinical trials. Yes, there is always going to be a risk with any vaccine. Yes, the Government politicians have agendas. Yes, vaccine companies are going to use this to make one heck of a profit. Yes, they are 100% picking and choosing what information to provide to the public. But no, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't consider a vaccine that may just prevent us from dying.
I'm going to state the obvious. The woman you talked with is morally bankrupt. Utterly, completely, morally bankrupt. The idea that people like that can sit on juries is positively frightening.

I am smarter in some ways than most folks. I state that as simple fact, and with the full recognition that there are areas where I don't know Jack, and MANY people are smarter than me. I got smarter in the areas where I excel by fully and honestly admitting when I was wrong.

When programming in a computer language and you have an incorrect concept or misunderstand the operators, your program will NOT work properly. You can tell others that the programming language is flawed, you can invoke the computer gods, you can dance in circles saying "I don't need to use this error protection" and your program will still fail and you won't get paid. Your opinion doesn't mean diddly-squat if you are wrong. Reality is a lot like that.

ONLY when you are willing to say "Oops! I screwed up!" can you move forward.

You will see me periodically PUBLICLY admit I was wrong and THANK the person who corrected me. The idea that I could be right all the time is utterly ridiculous. The idea that I want to learn and be right more of the time is what drives me to accept correction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area