Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2023, 08:45 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times

Advertisements

Just a couple years ago, Colorado politicians were upset the move of space command was political and not based on merit. Then three separate studies confirmed Huntsville as the best choice, based on merit.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/5...d-contradicts/

https://news.yahoo.com/colorado-lawm...200623073.html

And this week it was political to change the decision again until the 2024 election. My how some forget history from just a couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 12:34 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Well we know space command wasn’t ever going to Birmingham

Seriously? A rising tide lifts all boats. People in Birmingham were rooting for this to happen. So can we lay aside your lazy and stupid Huntsville/Birmingham argument?

It boils down to this. A sitting Alabama senator decided to monkey with the DoD to make cheap political hay for the rubes. And it backfired. If you can't honestly confront this basic truth, then you are just one of the mindless zombies who votes for whatever hack comes down the pipe.

Old 08-02-2023, 05:09 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Seriously? A rising tide lifts all boats. People in Birmingham were rooting for this to happen. So can we lay aside your lazy and stupid Huntsville/Birmingham argument?

It boils down to this. A sitting Alabama senator decided to monkey with the DoD to make cheap political hay for the rubes. And it backfired. If you can't honestly confront this basic truth, then you are just one of the mindless zombies who votes for whatever hack comes down the pipe.
Obviously sarcasm and humor is not understood. Your angry should be at Trump for taking credit for the move, thus making it political. Then Biden kept it political and the next president can once again make it more political. In the last 12 months, nothing could have been promised or done politically to change Biden’s decision as he lied about the move decision originally belonging to the Air Force.

Take a deep breath and realize Huntsville has thousands of jobs flowing in from the new Toyota / Mazdas plants, the FBI move, Blue Origin not to mention houses and apartments are booming all the while Huntsville has become the largest city in Alabama.

https://www.blueorigin.com/news/blue...engine-factory

https://www.cbs42.com/alabama-news/h...es-birmingham/

There is lots of technology, research and production growing in Huntsville. Stay positive and ensure you have a balance of news sources.

Old 08-02-2023, 05:51 AM

910 posts, read 834,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

Exactly MinivanDriver

I, speaking only for myself, actually wanted Huntsville to land this thing. I was simply drilling home the fact that elections matter. We can't keep sending people to these high elected offices simply because they have a certain letter by their name. They need to be effective, qualified, and at the very least, not be an embarrassment for the state. I'll be honest, I hate on Huntsville from time to time, but it's not real hate. It's more of a competitive thing for me. Take it how you take it, but it is what it is.

Old 08-02-2023, 06:21 AM

910 posts, read 834,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Huntsville has become the largest city in Alabama.

Lol! Just stay tuned!

Old 08-02-2023, 07:03 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Space Command was never going to move to Huntsville. I think we all realized that two or three years ago. It became a political pissing contest and we all knew the President Blunder administration was going to find a way to keep it from happening.

Other than each side wanting to win, is Space Command really enough to fight about. It is very possible it will get cut again in a future budget and get rolled into the Air Force where it should be anyway.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:25 AM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Lol! Just stay tuned!
lol its crazy right? In 2022 the city added @450 people a month (@5400/year) so now the US Census 2022 estimate is @220,000.
Now it's a bit unreasonable to think that pace will continue so lets scale it back to say 3600/year till the 2030 Census, that would be around @25,000 , so by 2030 conservatively Huntsville's population could be between 240,000-250,000.
Of course the economy could tank, the government shutdown, or another Covid type issue, stop any growth most cities are seeing in which everyone will suffer.
Even though Alabama is seeing good growth in Huntsville, Birmingham, Mobile and others across the state, up I-65 in Nashville is nuts..45 Towers are planned or under construction between 15-60 stories including which will be Tennessee's tallest skyscraper at 60 stories 750'.
stay tuned!

Old 08-03-2023, 11:36 AM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
I feel for the personnel at the Support Facilities on RSA that were looking forward to providing their services to more Active Duty Service Members and Families.

I heard quite a few voice their excitement at Space Command coming and recall how things were before the BRAC.

Old 08-03-2023, 11:46 AM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
I feel for the personnel at the Support Facilities on RSA that were looking forward to providing their services to more Active Duty Service Members and Families.

I heard quite a few voice their excitement at Space Command coming and recall how things were before the BRAC.
What will probably be revealed after the investigation is the Air Force expedited building out the command in Colorado over the last 2 plus years while they stalled making the decision until the time was right. Bidens visit out there back in May allowed private one on one conversations on how to make the decision look good.
Slimey and underhanded all around by people in charge. No telling how many DoD rules and policies in addition to lying to Congress were violated which on paper warrant severe punishment. Now its just a matter of how well they covered their tracks.
Sure they are having a good laugh and atta boys on how they beat the system they swore to uphold.

Old 08-03-2023, 01:32 PM

976 posts, read 2,683,855 times
Boeing was pulled from Alabama and granted to Colorado. But Alabama later got something even better. Airbus!!! So, I would take their decision with a grain of salt!!! Anything those guys touch turns to crap!! Huntsville should ease up on the economy being fueled by the US government so heavily!!! Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area