Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 11:59 AM

33 posts, read 144,537 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband and I live within the city limits, and we want a shed in our back yard. We are planning to draft up our own plans, and get the materials to build it, but we are wondering whether or not we have to get a permit before we build.

If someone who is well versed in navigating the state department [what is it, by the way?] with home additions, property modifications, etc would please help, I'd be grateful.

The shed will not be attached to the house, and will be used to store items and furniture we don't want cluttering up the house.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 12:41 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanari View Post
Hi everyone!

My husband and I live within the city limits, and we want a shed in our back yard. We are planning to draft up our own plans, and get the materials to build it, but we are wondering whether or not we have to get a permit before we build.

If someone who is well versed in navigating the state department [what is it, by the way?] with home additions, property modifications, etc would please help, I'd be grateful.

The shed will not be attached to the house, and will be used to store items and furniture we don't want cluttering up the house.

Thank you!

All i know is that from the tax-man perspective you need to notify (whether before or after completion, I don't know) the tax assessor's office so they appraise/assess you property appropriately - no surprise there, they need as much money they can fork off of your newly "improved" property (in taxes).
If the shed is A/C-ed (even a window unit), it is classified livable space, and thus assessed (taxed) as such.

Be mindful if you live in a HOA community to get proper approval from them - you might end up not being allowed to make any modifications to your property (especially exterior).

Don't know anything from building it perpective.

There you go: 6 hits for "building permit" on County's website
http://www.co.madison.al.us/results....ing+permit#607

As they said, if in doubt, call:

http://www.co.madison.al.us/inspection/

Old 11-13-2009, 01:32 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,417,767 times
Yes, you will need a permit.
You may not need one if you get one of those pre-fab plastic or metals ones. OTOH, if you pour a slab for it to sit on, you probably need a permit. Especially if you run electricity to it.
Your best bet = call and ask.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:08 PM

889 posts, read 2,397,924 times
I built a wooden shed on an existing slab last summer. It's a small 10x10 kit from Lowe's. Hope "The Man" doesn't get me. Interestingly, I built it because the city warned me about my old metal shed which was pretty rusty.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:11 PM

409 posts, read 704,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post

Be mindful if you live in a HOA community to get proper approval from them - you might end up not being allowed to make any modifications to your property (especially exterior).
I know that every HOA is different, but in general, has anybody had experience building a shed or workshop in a neighborhood with an HOA? If we move there, most don't have basements, and my husband is a woodworker (hobbyist, not professionally) and will want a shop of some sort.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:43 PM

33 posts, read 144,537 times
Thank you all!

I called and they said a permit was required. The bit about the tax man I was unaware of... >.>

And we don't have an HOA in our neighborhood. [Thank God!] I had enough of that sort of thing in my parents' home.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:52 PM

165 posts, read 507,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
I know that every HOA is different, but in general, has anybody had experience building a shed or workshop in a neighborhood with an HOA? If we move there, most don't have basements, and my husband is a woodworker (hobbyist, not professionally) and will want a shop of some sort.
There are HOAs that prohibit all detached structures. Others don't care as long as it isn't visible from the street. You have to go over the covenants carefully.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:49 AM

523 posts, read 1,003,535 times
I had a 20 x 24 detached garage built on a slab a few months ago and the builder said as long as the building value was less than $10,000, he didn't have to get a permit.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:53 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
We have a HOA and it says that the plan needs to be approved by the architecture committee. Basic guideline is that that structure of the shed has to match the architecture style of the house. So basically no vinyl, metal, tin, type of shed.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmaster View Post
I had a 20 x 24 detached garage built on a slab a few months ago and the builder said as long as the building value was less than $10,000, he didn't have to get a permit.
Is it 1,000 or 10,000?

Madison County Building Inspection Department
"If you construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or other residential structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done whenever the reasonable cost of the material and labor for such work is in excess of One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00), you shall first make application to the Inspection Department and obtain the required permits. Whenever the work being performed includes any construction, alteration, addition, or modification to the plumbing drainage system, or requires disconnection of the electrical system in any way whatsoever, any owner or authorized agent shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit regardless of the reasonable cost of the material and labor for such work. Other work requiring permits and inspections include: roofing, re-roofing, window replacement, siding, swimming pools and spas, and all commercial work regardless of cost. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area