Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 01:11 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,076,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Thank you! Luckily, the people in the house with the tree through the center were all downstairs at the time. They weren't harmed, but I have no idea what will become of their house. After my neighbors and I cut up the maples that fell on our street and got the debris out of the road, my wife and I walked over to see what happened. I don't believe they've removed the tree yet...it's taking days because of its size and impact.
Are those fallen trees the reason why the power is still out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 01:23 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Are those fallen trees the reason why the power is still out?
The trees were defnitely a major part of why electric was lost, and why some repairs are still not made. There were 29 major transformers out of commission throughout the city after the storm, but they fixed those pretty quickly. There are many many trees down, especially throughout the older neighborhoods like mine. I guess Dominion (the electric company) has 7,000 workers out working, which covers quite a bit more than just Richmond. Sometimes they have to wait for the city to come remove trees before they can even access the problem.

Our block was on the list for repairs today, so we'll see if it actually happens (days of being in the pitch dark in an urban area can be creepy).

Old 08-31-2011, 02:03 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Sure does. I feel bad for the folks in Vermont that are still flooded. Even in Richmond, VA, my wife and I have no power (4 days and counting), and we live in the city.

Here are some pics from a nearby neighborhood: Photo Album - Imgur

Lots and lots of tree damage, blown transformers, downed electrical lines. Yuck!
that's really something. this storm sure did a number on the trees.

i guess there will be a glut of firewood next year at least..

Old 08-31-2011, 02:09 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Funny enough, I was talking to some neighbors and we were all saying that we already have more firewood than we can handle. It's not uncommon to have some branches coming down here and there in our neighborhood. For the east coast, we have some HUGE trees...must be something in the soil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that's really something. this storm sure did a number on the trees.

i guess there will be a glut of firewood next year at least..
Oh, and thanks to everyone for the well wishes. In all honesty, the people in Vermont (or anywhere there's flooding) are the ones who are truly suffering right now. Having no power is annoying, but flooding is just so dangerous and destructive. Hopefully, more people will start to realize that these storms are not to be taken lightly (even if they're only a TS or Cat1).

Old 08-31-2011, 02:50 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Funny enough, I was talking to some neighbors and we were all saying that we already have more firewood than we can handle. It's not uncommon to have some branches coming down here and there in our neighborhood. For the east coast, we have some HUGE trees...must be something in the soil.
yes, i love that they get so big, but when they fall over it's a BIG problem. probably 80% of the fallen trees here [and all of mine that fell] are red oaks, which make superb firewood but take an agonizingly long time to cure properly - most people recommend 2 years.

Last edited by uggabugga; 08-31-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 04:10 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
The trees were defnitely a major part of why electric was lost, and why some repairs are still not made. There were 29 major transformers out of commission throughout the city after the storm, but they fixed those pretty quickly. There are many many trees down, especially throughout the older neighborhoods like mine. I guess Dominion (the electric company) has 7,000 workers out working, which covers quite a bit more than just Richmond. Sometimes they have to wait for the city to come remove trees before they can even access the problem.

Our block was on the list for repairs today, so we'll see if it actually happens (days of being in the pitch dark in an urban area can be creepy).
Our power was out for for 54 hours (Sunday afternoon to last night). The rain had already passed, but that windstorm Sunday afternoon knocked it out. From what I saw Richmond was hit hard. Hope you get your power back soon!

Old 08-31-2011, 06:13 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
What is with people? They WERE told, "There is a STORM coming, power will be out, BUY food, and supplies to last at least a week, or more, we are having a MANDATORY evacuation"...Okay, there was PLENTY of warning about this storm! More than adaquate, some people even think it was over done...

Anyway, now there are all these flood "survivors" whining that NO ONE is helping them, they have no food, no power, no medicine...they are stuck, flooded in their homes...HELLO...did you not hear all the information PRIOR TO THE STORM???!!!!!!

I really find people who think that the government is responsible to take care of them, in an emergency to be very needy. Government is not your nanny. No doubt, these same people belong to the "tea party" and want no government...can't have your cake and eat it too, either you want big government, lots of taxes, and a government to be your nanny...or you rely on yourself, take care of yourself in an emergency by evacuating, or making sure you have adaquate supplies...

Just tired of people who are so stupid...

Old 08-31-2011, 06:40 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What is with people? They WERE told, "There is a STORM coming, power will be out, BUY food, and supplies to last at least a week, or more, we are having a MANDATORY evacuation"...Okay, there was PLENTY of warning about this storm! More than adaquate, some people even think it was over done...

Anyway, now there are all these flood "survivors" whining that NO ONE is helping them, they have no food, no power, no medicine...they are stuck, flooded in their homes...HELLO...did you not hear all the information PRIOR TO THE STORM???!!!!!!

I really find people who think that the government is responsible to take care of them, in an emergency to be very needy. Government is not your nanny. No doubt, these same people belong to the "tea party" and want no government...can't have your cake and eat it too, either you want big government, lots of taxes, and a government to be your nanny...or you rely on yourself, take care of yourself in an emergency by evacuating, or making sure you have adaquate supplies...

Just tired of people who are so stupid...
I hope you're not referring to the inland folks in NJ, PA, NY, VT, etc. who weren't expecting such dramatic damage. Most of the focus was on the coast and NYC. I highly doubt the folks in Vermont anticipated being trapped. Easy for you to make such comments as you sit in your home with power and food in the fridge. Your tea party comment is just an unsubstantiated cheap shot.

Many areas flooded that don't normally flood, though I do think we need to stop building in places that are naturally flood prone. Parts of Northern New Jersey and New Orleans comes to mind. At the very least, stop building basements.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:03 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
The same thing happened in Tropical Storm Fay, in Florida, in 2008. If these people paid attention, to the fact that hurricanes cause LOTS of rain...that is the main problem is flooding...did they miss all the water in affected areas after Hurricane Katrina?

And yes, don't build your house in a flood zone.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:08 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times

NYC may have thought Irene was nothing, but don't tell this man it was nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes