Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 12:05 PM

432 posts, read 534,261 times

Advertisements

I had a reliable source tell me three Costco reps were here last week rolling around with some real estate people... Looks like it might happen soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 08:57 PM

82 posts, read 97,562 times
Now that would be a MAJOR announcement. Keep your ear to the rail and keep us updated. Thanks for sharing what you can.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:02 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Now that would be a MAJOR announcement. Keep your ear to the rail and keep us updated. Thanks for sharing what you can.
siege, I saw Uncle Benny's pizza is open. I've not heard or seen one announcement about it. You saw that a few months ago - nice call. It looked fairly busy. They have a wonderful location. It was kind of funny because I had been thinking with the Springhill going in TC and other hotels certain to follow, unless visitors in hotels get very specific directions to Mackenzie Pizza in SRL, there were few pizza options for restaurant row. Then about a week later I saw Uncle Benny's. I hope Uncle Benny's does well. Let us know how it is if you eat there

IF Guy has done a good job staying on the Costco trail. I just keep finding newly sold property and a few other things.

Busy time right now....with so many projects getting built or I think we'really going to have one or two remodels. I hope all the construction workers are as busy as they want. Construction and building is one of the top three segments projected in the eastern ID economy.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:07 PM

434 posts, read 417,236 times
So call this the dumb post of the day, or whatever you will. Somebody please enlighten me. I guess I fail to see just what a new Costo would mean for other development. I understand excitement for the store. Yes other retailers would eventually come in around it. I could also see what it would do for a completely undeveloped commercial district. But retailers like to be in clusters anyway. Who says they build at sunnyside and 15? Why is Costco different than any other big box? I get that its destination shopping, but Sams is too. Realistically, will it draw from other markets like poky, twin, anywhere in Montana? Certainly our own market needs one I just dont see that other businesses would hang their hat on a Costco alone.

Dont get me wrong, I want a costco in town too. These are honest questions. How big is it really?

Last edited by Theotherdude; 09-17-2015 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: more to add

Old 09-27-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
So call this the dumb post of the day, or whatever you will. Somebody please enlighten me. I guess I fail to see just what a new Costo would mean for other development. I understand excitement for the store. Yes other retailers would eventually come in around it. I could also see what it would do for a completely undeveloped commercial district. But retailers like to be in clusters anyway. Who says they build at sunnyside and 15? Why is Costco different than any other big box? I get that its destination shopping, but Sams is too. Realistically, will it draw from other markets like poky, twin, anywhere in Montana? Certainly our own market needs one I just dont see that other businesses would hang their hat on a Costco alone.

Dont get me wrong, I want a costco in town too. These are honest questions. How big is it really?
I think the reasons vary among different people. For one thing, WY has zero Costco's, so this would be a regional draw. Put some outlet stores in Sunnyside Crossroads and a couple more hotels. That then becomes destination shopping for many and instead of spending a day in town they spend a night and two days.

As you know, I think the Rick Warner Truck Center at $10 million already under construction, is a bigger deal for locals. But lots grew up with Costco brands. It's seen as a plus nationally.

Your questions are all good and honest. I don't know all the answers, but I do see a lot of potential. I'm surprised no one has answered prior to now.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:46 PM

75 posts, read 87,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Meanwhile, Dan, what about SRL? Plenty of equipment there too. Cement has been poured west of Bandon apartments. I'm not sure if that is connected with the Falls Landing apts. or not. Location wise, I'd say no. But lots of things happening where the apartments are going.
There are at least 3, maybe 4 foundations poured west of Bandon Apts. Framing is going up on the western-most building. Looks like more digging still going on to the southwest. There's 3 excavators working it, and they're doing further blasting today.

Work continues on Crane Drive; it's hard to tell exactly what's going on, as the diversion takes you away from the work area (obviously).

What I'm not entirely sure about is the east end of Whitewater drive. Just to the east of the new Home 2 Suites, there's another ridge before you get to the river bank, just to the west of Milligan. There's some heavy equipment, and some trailers parked right there. I'm not sure if that actually portends work in that area, or if it's just staging for work elsewhere. There's an older house up there too, so I don't know.

By the way, I don't know what Costco would mean for other development, but I know it would be a huge deal for me, and I'm sure I'm not alone. About every six weeks, my wife and I drive down to Costco and load up on things that are either cheaper or, increasingly,can only be purchased at Costco. Chief among them are many of the excellent Kirkland branded items, including an outstanding wine selection.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:25 AM

Default The Falls Apartments (SRL) - Some Quick Numbers

I'm going to round numbers here. This is the first official info we've had about the apartments being built in Snake River Landing. There is a name change to The Falls Apartments. I don't know if this is all of them or not. Perhaps, Dan Q. and others can learn more.

Four buildings.

#1 has 8,000 sq. ft. and is $1.1 million.

#2 has 7,400 sq. ft. and is $1.8 million.

#3 has 28,430 sq. ft. and is $1.4 million

#4 has 37,400 sq. ft. and is $1.8 million.

Perhaps these are just the first permits, as the City of Idaho Falls seems to not allow all information about commercial development as they use to. Who knows, maybe they inspect before issuing further permits, IDK.

The apartments are on Whitewater Dr. in SRL.

I don't know more, I was happy for this info.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:25 AM

The Idaho Falls redevelopment association is having a special meeting at noon today. I'm sure it pertains to the new hotel and a few other times in the Taylor Crossing area. I would go but I can't...

Old 10-01-2015, 08:54 AM

434 posts, read 417,236 times
I wonder if they are getting redevelopment involved in the infrastructure improvements needed for the Events Center? I hardly know anything about redevelopment and it's stipulations.

Its odd that of the four buildings you have info on, two of them have low square footage but are still worth close to the same as the much larger buildings. I wonder why that is?

That ridge east of the new Hilton was the staging area for the hotel for about half of the project. I heard from someone high up that that ridge was to be one of the next projects in SRL largely because its an eye sore. I don't know whether anyone has taken interest in it or perhaps if they are planting grass.

There are a couple more new tenants in the retail strip across from k-mart which I think puts it to capacity. Teton Pharmacy and Papa Murphy's are moving in. This makes me think two things:
Maybe there is more development underway on Ammon's portion of 17th. Also, I know there is a lot of available retail space currently around town, but I think we'll see SCC and railway crossings fill in quickly raising demand for more.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:23 AM

As I understand it, the event center can only use money from the bed tax, it cannot use any taxes for its construction or ongoing operations.

The ridge in SRL would be perfect for some higher end condos. Right next to the water features and overlooking the river.

I'm not sure why I feel this way but it seems like Idaho Falls is pushing to get the area from Broadway to north of SRL developed quickly. They sure have used the redevelopment district quite frequently lately and it seems that this meeting today is focused around that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls