Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:29 PM

13 posts, read 45,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntman58 View Post
Aw but it is so much easier to blame someone other then the people we vote into office or our self as we handle the pile of money we just made on some new move ins from were ever . Be it from selling a home, some land or services to them. No one says any thing about the Idaho leaders that are running around or having people do it for them to other states bragging how great things are and trying to get them to move. What I find the funniest is they tend to go after the small business owners and brag how cheap it is to do business in Idaho. Yuppers no safety net for the average Joe worker at all. So few places offer any kind of benefit package. It was one thing that came as a total shock when I moved to Idaho. I could deal with the wages but not having any health coverage, retirement or other such things because of the right to work laws. The only thing I will say on that one is every one has always had a chouse to work some were or not if you do and it is union then you chouse that and pay there dues or go work some were other and stop complaining. There are other companies out there that are not union you can work at. Just to put things in place the only time I worked a union shop was in Idaho as it was the only way I could make any money and have any benefits such as they were. Other places I have lived and worked me got the same pay and or benefits as a union shop. The companies did this to keep out unions but it was still a chouse I got to make unlike in Idaho were a union is a rare thing just like pay and benefits. Yes some offer them or pay okay but not the majority. Ask any young person out there just starting out what they get.
This is the other reason why you are getting rich outsiders buying up all the land. People VOTED to have their living wage and benefits put on the chopping block when they passed the "Right To Work" lie. Many people predicted this crisis, but no one listened, because once again, their hero, Mr. Reagan and even Chuck Heston on TV spewed their conservative rhetoric, that it was Union greed keeping everyone from making a better living, when in reality, it was just the opposite. They made it a bipartisan issue, knowing the demographic make up, and the result is Idahoans don't have the protection that labor unions offered working class people, or even the influence of unions to make non-union companies compete for better benefits and wages.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:36 PM

13 posts, read 45,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrahin View Post
sultresweetie, what an excellent post. If our paths ever cross in Idaho, I will have you and your family invited for persian/ afghan food. I promise you that you will have the best Persian/ afghan food in your life. My wife is the BEST afghan chef.
It's on! Even if your wife could send me some recipes, I would greatly appreciate it! I do a lot of cooking, mostly baking, and could return the favor.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:45 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,061 times
Default Izzy you can cook

izzy and every other women in Calif. I am sure you all can cook. Sorry if I offend anyone. I just see the things people find important in Calif. you will find Idaho a little boring.
I just listen to so many complaints from people who move from Calif. and all they complain about is what Idaho doesn't have compared to Calif. makes me wonder why did you move here and didn't you do any research on the state.
Boise is our biggest city and it's not as big as Sacramento so that kind of tells you there there not much.

izzy I do believe your faith also, contributes to your way of living as with mine I have strong Mormon background even though I am not Mormon most of my family are and a lot live in Calif. and they know how to store food and cook the best meals and differently know how to bake.
Just know I can take your kind words and not get offended. I think we have become so thin skinned when someone comments we take it as an attack. I know I have to be careful I'm more of tell you like it is and I forget some people are so fragile and must always have people say only kind things to them and not challenge their way of thinking. No offense taken .

I will have to let the locals at the tavern know its one leg a time in those jeans and maybe they can get out of the house quicker in the morning.

Merry Christmas!!

Old 12-12-2006, 09:54 AM

318 posts, read 1,317,207 times
Yes,

You'll get out the house a lot quicker, if you do it one leg at a time. Hey, while I'm thinking about it. Do they have many Starbucks in the Boise area. I read somewhere...that utah has almost none. I was wondering if Idaho has many. I like starbucks. I don't drink coffee or tea. But I do drink herbal tea and I like their cold blended drinks. I just have them do a cream base, instead of coffee. Nice place to hang out. Even here in CA most of them play some christian music and I can use my laptop to work and surf the net.

Well got to go. Got to go buy that ham for xmas dinner. Have a good one wildberries. Is there snow on the ground there? Where you at...IF or Boise area?

Izzy

Old 12-12-2006, 10:20 AM

318 posts, read 1,317,207 times
Hey, I just looked up Starbucks and Winco in Idaho. You have lots of both in the Boise area. Winco is the cheapest and the best food store. That is where I'm headed now.

Catch you later.

Izzy

Old 12-12-2006, 10:31 AM

Cool Change GOOD or BAD

Hi skitow,
Nice to meet ya. I know what you mean about the area growing. We took our kids to Disneyland a couple of years ago and was very surprised by all the growth there was not a green lawn one concrete every where. My husband grew up there and Calif. Adventures used to be a strawberry field and fruit orchards all around. I believe most Idahoans just don't want this to happen to our state and I believe that is what mark was trying to say.
I don't think its the individual Calif. coming a lot has to do with attitude. When most come they drive too fast, flip people off, complain theres too many rednecks, can't make a living, no social life and whats wrong with everyone you are all to slow. These are the comments I hear from many Calif who move here.

I moved here 15 years ago before it was get the hell out of Calif. and I moved here for the beauty of the outdoors and not needing all the man made entertainment. So, when moving here drive slower you will get there in a reasonable time,have respect for your fellow driver,appreciate the ranchers and the cowboys, live with less,enjoy your family for social life and were moving slower so we can live longer.

I believe sultresweetie mentioned diversity in Calif. I think most people in Idaho diversity is are we going to have chicken or beef for dinner. Come to Idaho for its redneck ways not the attude were out to please everyone thats California and probably New York.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:33 AM

313 posts, read 834,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Yes,

You'll get out the house a lot quicker, if you do it one leg at a time. Hey, while I'm thinking about it. Do they have many Starbucks in the Boise area. I read somewhere...that utah has almost none. I was wondering if Idaho has many. I like starbucks. I don't drink coffee or tea. But I do drink herbal tea and I like their cold blended drinks. I just have them do a cream base, instead of coffee. Nice place to hang out. Even here in CA most of them play some christian music and I can use my laptop to work and surf the net.

Well got to go. Got to go buy that ham for xmas dinner. Have a good one wildberries. Is there snow on the ground there? Where you at...IF or Boise area?

Izzy
Starbucks website says that there are quite a few in Boise (like 20?). Looks like they are in their Albertson's also. Looking on there I found out that there is one in IF at Fred Meyers. We saw the one in Barnes and nobles (contract store) while we were there but did not see any others. We found a diff place tho that was much much better. We usually make our own coffee tho but it was nice while we were traveling.

And yes, not all Ca people are the same. Some of us actually do not like the Ca lifestyle and are looking for a more simplistic way of life. I don't know why people have to lump us all together. Are you and all your neighbors exactly the same and think exactly the same? Probably not, so why woulod you assume we all think and act the same??

Old 12-12-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Hey, I just looked up Starbucks and Winco in Idaho. You have lots of both in the Boise area. Winco is the cheapest and the best food store. That is where I'm headed now.

Catch you later.

Izzy
Have fun at Winco Izzy. It's not too far from my house...same side of Stockton but we are farther North. We were so excited when we saw that IF had a Winco! They actually started in ID and the headquarters is in Boise. I hardly see anyone mention them tho??

The site kept going down for me and I didn't see your post about SBux before I posted.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Hi skitow,
I don't think its the individual Calif. coming a lot has to do with attitude. When most come they drive too fast, flip people off, complain theres too many rednecks, can't make a living, no social life and whats wrong with everyone you are all to slow. These are the comments I hear from many Calif who move here.

I moved here 15 years ago before it was get the hell out of Calif. and I moved here for the beauty of the outdoors and not needing all the man made entertainment. So, when moving here drive slower you will get there in a reasonable time,have respect for your fellow driver,appreciate the ranchers and the cowboys, live with less,enjoy your family for social life and were moving slower so we can live longer.
Thats funny because when we went out there, both times, we were being passed like crazy while on the freeway. It was the stretch between Twin and Pokie and it was ID plates but the worse were UT plates. They were rude about it! Not everyone with ID plates drive all that great! Just like not all Ca people drive the way that you say.

I like and look forward to the slowness of ID. We also liked seeing all the rednecks and cowboys, now we might actually fit in somewhere!! Actually I'm pretty sure we will since we felt more at home there while visiting than we do here.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:36 PM

Default You'll do fine

Actually StampinTami you and izzy will fit in fine. You have the desire for something different. I also, have to remember that most of you like the city and I wouldn't move to Boise or too much of the outskirts due to too many people. I live in a town of 2000 and sometimes thats too many. Its not so much the people its the vistors that we get and like another poster said its to much to fast its not the growth its the pressure and a town going from country living to land being sold for sub-divsions and shopping malls.

We have a few contractors around comment we don't care if this is the Sahara Desert when were done as long as all of their projects sell and go through they don't plan on staying here anyway. That is tough for people who love their town and plan on living their the rest of their lives and all people see are dollar signs real estate agents are right up there helping it along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho