Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:34 PM

217 posts, read 1,003,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Blaming Californians is just stupid. Theyre smart for wanting to leave that place, you should accept them with open arms. Theyre fellow countrymen for Petes sake! It shames me that some states would shut their doors to someone who wants in. Someone whod truly appreciate the area and give to the economy.

Skitow, youre welcome in Chicago with open arms anytime youd like to come. You dont need to be in a state where noone welcomes you or blames you for everything wrong. Heck, here home prices are astronomical too, but less than Cali. Food is great, the city is world class, the folks are friendly for the most part, the transportation system is the best, the quality of life is tops. I dont think youll be able to find ANY of those qualities in Idaho based on what Ive been reading. Hang in there.
Thanks for the kind words. They are few and far between for us CALis. skitow

Old 12-04-2006, 11:17 PM

922 posts, read 1,909,163 times
Default im not PO

not mad at anybody , i just find it interesting that you blame others for your lack to buy in CA. outsiders buying it up at high prices; you cant afford. realtors,builders, and bankers do the same in ID. it doesnt matter if its CA, or CO. NOW some think growth management in treasure valley is a good thing since they have moved in there. what happened to all the involved growth management in CA, or elsewhere. im sure people in chicago are used to overcrowding, we are not. Im on this side of the border watching the influx, at least you are americans, it sill looks like we are over ran. just ask any local goverment how they have had to scramble to keep up. funny how a different point of view gets some folks upset, but not all is warm and fuzzy nor does it have tobe. for the record i do simpathize with your struggle, i just see it from a diff angle.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:17 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,269 times
Wink California no longer the Golden State

Its really sad to see the way Calif. has gone. What most people don't realize is the Asians have been buying Calif. for years and now Mexico wants it back and our so called representatives are too busy padding their pockets to care.
I believe what most people complain about with Calif. not all, but a lot come here with money and let us all know how high and mighty they can live off their riches from Calif. Were I live I'm 10 miles out of town. We use to live on a dirt road but, people from Calif. with money have moved into our sub-division and want pavement so the rest of us have to pay for that too and the other changes just because, they sold their home in Calif. they assume the rest of us have been sitting on our money waiting for them to move here so we know what to do with all of our extra money.
When we moved here my husband sent me Idaho plates for my car and we avoided conversations on where we were from let the people get to know you and then when they find out your from Calif. they will find Calif. people not so bad most Californians just don't know how to keep it quiet they have to let us know how its done in Calif and most Idahoans don't care how its done in California.
For the most part I don't think its the people from Calif thats not liked its what California represents to the rest of the states just the flip side of New Yorkers. Unfortunately Hollywood and San Fransisco are ruining California.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:25 AM

16 posts, read 49,397 times
Default cal people

you folks in idaho would ,be advised the people moving to your state are the most conservative people you will find. , and are interested in your state for the "leave me alone attitude" that has dissapeared in calif. , conservative family values the the LDS church has instilled in the area (even though im not lds) and the great gun laws! low cost of living! ,,, the hippie dope smoking liberals in ca who dont like it are going to oregon and washington ! haha

Old 12-05-2006, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,635 times
Smile Looking for a Change

I am a Californian who by no fault of my own was born here. I am a conservative who has a young family and cannot stand the prices, the environment, the schools etc. that exist in CA. We are looking to relocate to a state/location that suits our needs and beliefs. I understand that there is a strong dislike/distrust for CA; however, not all of us are thrilled about the situation here. Let's try to remember that it is a democracy and the majority rules and that not everyone gets what they want. At this particular point, I am in the minority. I have no intentions of moving to location and asking them to change their ways for me. I wouldn't go to France and ask them to teach my children in English because it would be best for them - which is one of the reasons why we are leaving CA by the way.

My family and I are looking for a place to raise our children safely. Where they can have a great support network of friends, community etc. So are you to say that because I was born in CA, I do not have the right to relocate to somewhere else to benefit my family?

On a different note, does any one have a suggestion on where to relocate to in Idaho. We are currently looking at Idaho Falls. I would appreciate some feedback if anyone is willing to share.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:04 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
I swore to myself that I was not going to even reply to this topic........ color me a liar for that

I have no issues with anyone moving here from anywhere, except for the simple fact of when things aren't like they were used from their origination (be it; CA, OR, UT, NE, HI or anywhere else in the world) and they want to change our area into that. Some, not all, some come here and realise that it's not completely what they wanted and therefore they attempt to change what was just fine for the rest of us.

The sad part I'm seeing with people gathering here is that our lower cost of living will be no more. As any area populates, there is a greater demand for groceries, textiles, building supplies etc. with the greater needs, the price of the aforementioned will only rise as goes the issue of supply and demand.

Trust me, I'm not throwing stones as I too am a transplant, however I was hoping the growth in our area wouldnt' be as accelerated as it is, guess I can shoulder some of that blame. In fact, my husband was saying he hates to see it grow and could we move elsewhere, I countered that with "and make that area grow as well?"

Old 12-05-2006, 01:15 PM

17 posts, read 104,087 times
cleosmom, what is this statement about "they want to change our area"? You sound like you own Idaho. In this country we all have the same rights to move and live wherever we please and bring changes to improve our lives. Paving the dirt road, building more schools, hospitals, restaurants, and parks are positive changes to enhance our quality of life. And yes these things cost. Being content with living on a dirt road and raising chickens for a living is fine too. But it's not what the majority of people want in this day and age.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:29 PM

313 posts, read 834,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrahin View Post
cleosmom, what is this statement about "they want to change our area"? You sound like you own Idaho. In this country we all have the same rights to move and live wherever we please and bring changes to improve our lives. Paving the dirt road, building more schools, hospitals, restaurants, and parks are positive changes to enhance our quality of life. And yes these things cost. Being content with living on a dirt road and raising chickens for a living is fine too. But it's not what the majority of people want in this day and age.
I didn't get that from her post at all! She did not mention anything about dirt roads or anything else that you mentioned. I got more of political change and the cost of living going up from what she said. Cleosmom has been nothing but nice and helpful to everyone that I have seen inquiring about E ID.
You seem to pop on here in the more heated conversations...haven't seen much from you in a non-heated threads.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:00 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,269 times
Default Dirt roads and chickens

Well, I'm the one that mentioned dirt roads. Improvement is fine but, for most of us in Idaho we come here for the rural part of Idaho. Yes, it cost to make these improvements and most of us have not sold a home in Calif. to pay for your wants. You don't need all that the city provides when living in the country. If you want shopping malls,paved roads move to the bigger cities in Idaho. Like cleosmom said its the fast growth and hardship on locals.
I believe most people who have been here way before the boom have a real passion for our state and we are willing to protect what we have come to call home. Seeems like no on wants to protect Calif. from becoming Cali-Mexico.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:34 PM

318 posts, read 1,317,306 times
Hi everybody,

Cleosmom has been great in giving info. and sharing her knowledge of Idaho to those that ask. She is not anti CA. She is sharing her view from her side of the fence. I live in CA but have several folks here on the Idaho thread that I consider forum buddies. Cleosmom is one of them.

Izzy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho