Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 AM

84 posts, read 233,812 times

Advertisements

Thank you

I'm actually not "waiting for my chance"... I'm military, and I'm eligible to retire in JUL 2013, however, that will probably not be when I actually do retire.

I chose to join, and I've never regretted it, and as much as I love Idaho, retiring will mean that my "grand" adventures will be over and I'll be switching back to the small, local adventures I enjoyed growing up. (to be clear, I consider that to be a REALLY good thing, but it's also a permanent thing, so I try to view it as objectively as I can) As it stands right now, I'm still willing to tolerate the "rat race" for the sake of seeing the world, and although it's wearing me down, and retiring to Idaho is starting to look really attractive, I still don't see it happening anytime soon They won't force me to retire until 2019, and as it stands now, there's about a 70% chance that I'll stay that long. Seems like as time goes by though, and these new kids coming in get more and more alien to me, that the % slowly creeps downward... 3 years ago it was 100% I was staying in until I couldn't anymore, so I can't really say with any certainty...

There's days that I am 100% certain that I want to retire in JUL 2013...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 02:00 PM

14 posts, read 26,948 times
It's official - the move is finally happening. Steven left at dark-thirty this morning trailering up our "57" Chevy truck (Miss Matilda) along with a bunch of other stuff to St. Maries. A few more runs to make but that's ok. While he is gone I am packing up boxes and deep-sixing other accumulated items. Seems weird to be happy packing boxes!

Elaine

Old 07-17-2010, 02:08 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,955 times
That is wonderful. I have been happy packing boxes before. Put on some really fun music and rock out. Makes the day go really fast and light hearted. Keep us posted on how it all goes.

Chris

Old 07-17-2010, 05:19 PM

14 posts, read 26,948 times
Thanks for the encouraging reply. Got the books and stuff in the sideboard done - linens are next. I did finally throw in the towel and cranked on the A/C. Here in Camarillo, CA it is in the 90's. My 3 dogs and several cats were beginning to look like wilted flowers. Filled up the dogs pool under the mulberry tree and turned on Histories Mysteries. Keeping it light hearted just as you suggested.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:26 PM

I know this is not the moving board. But do take some time now before you are so done in you can not think. Make a list of things and pack them in a box that will not get lost. Label it the first night. Do things you need like nightgowns toiletries clothes for a day or two extra shoes socks soap towels candy coffee snacks. Anything you can think of to make arriving easier for the first day or so. Oh and the pet dishes leashes beds and food. This way in the end you just have to keep track of a few well labeled boxes and can worry about finding the rest as you come to it. We moved 11 times in 25 years and many moves were several hundred miles. I learned this little time spent planning the first few days arrival makes things so much easier. This way you do not have to wait until the last minute to pack some things just pack them knowing your goodie boxes will be ready for you.

You will be exhausted by the time it is all done. It will all be worth it.Also consider on a move as far as you are going if it is worth moving or less expensive to buy new once you get there. I say this because I hate to think of the things I moved and more then once that I ended up just passing on to some one else because they did not work in our new space.

Chris

Old 07-17-2010, 11:34 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Elaine, so happy for you! Boxing things up can be the greatest feeling--just don't forget to number and label the boxes and keep a master list! Those darn things look totally identical once they're taped up! Chris's advice is invaluable. A couple of handy boxes for when you arrive will make the first night and day so much easier. Also, don't forget that moving also involves a roadtrip! Keep a soft carry-on bag or two in the car with the stuff you need on the road--including upbeat travel music! Leaving hot CA to the sound of your own soundtrack can be stress relieving!

Wishing you an easy move, and grand times ahead in NID!

PS Here's an idea for roadtrip music: "Na na na na hey hey hey Goodbye!"

Old 07-18-2010, 12:14 AM

LOL CFF reminds me of a cannon ball trip I made back from Arizona with a friend. After 14 hours straight driving I came across a Charlie Daniels tape, yes that long ago, and we rocked out for another 6 hours to finish the trip. I wanted to stop in Cary and sleep but she wanted to get home to her hubby. EEEKKK but did not want to drive. OK Turn up the music.It was an 18 hour trip but I had to stop several times in the last few just to let go of the wheel and try to help my exhaustion.

Chris

Old 07-18-2010, 05:28 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,417 times
Oh the Good old days.
A 12 pack and a bunch of uppers and drive across America.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:52 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
Congrats Elaine, that '57 will come in handy because there are about a billion classic car shows up here!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:07 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
Well CFF, just to show you that there is work to be done..

I take that back, because PLAYING WITH CHAINSAWS IS FUNNNN!

OK boys and girls extra points if you can tell me where this is:

Another great weekend in NID. Here we are at Schweitzer:

and looking in the other direction:

They had a band playing and BBQ and everyone was just having a good time. I was reading 85-87 degrees at the bottom and 71-73 at the village. The ride down was fun in the Vette let me tell ya.

Went fishing in Pend Oreille. Note what is missing in the picture. If you guessed about 100 other boats that is what blew me away. This lake is huge.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho