Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 03:48 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
While true, the issue is, wherever there are large groups of illegal immigrants, there tends to be MORE crime -
Not really true. http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1592092.php

Old 12-12-2007, 03:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
A) Illegals are committing a crime merely by being in this country

B) In large cities like LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Tucson etc., the number of crimes, committed by illegals, is staggering - And, we are talking not only property crimes (robbery, car thefts etc) we are talking violent crimes - murders (including murders of police officers), assaults, rapes, sexual abuse of children and so on

Your "stats" don't wash in the real world PL

Old 12-12-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
A) Illegals are committing a crime merely by being in this country

B) In large cities like LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Tucson etc., the number of crimes, committed by illegals, is staggering - And, we are talking not only property crimes (robbery, car thefts etc) we are talking violent crimes - murders (including murders of police officers), assaults, rapes, sexual abuse of children and so on

Your "stats" don't wash in the real world PL
Then that means all the facts that everyone on this forum presents don't wash in the real world. Thats an OC news website, that is in the L.A area.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Then that means all the facts that everyone on this forum presents don't wash in the real world. Thats an OC news website, that is in the L.A area.
Sorry - those stats are not reflective of the real world

Here's why:

A) the link clearly states that the numbers are for the UNITED STATES - not one area

B) The link clearly states The numbers applied to both legal and illegal immigrants. That alone destroys your point as we are talking ILLEGAL immigrants

Hope that cleared it up for you

Old 12-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Sorry - those stats are not reflective of the real world

Here's why:

A) the link clearly states that the numbers are for the UNITED STATES - not one area

B) The link clearly states The numbers applied to both legal and illegal immigrants. That alone destroys your point as we are talking ILLEGAL immigrants

Hope that cleared it up for you
It was comparing crime from legal citizens to illegal immigrants by race.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
It was comparing crime from legal citizens to illegal immigrants by race.
No - legal IMMIGRANTS v ILLEGAL

Not citizens

Old 12-12-2007, 04:38 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpigrl View Post
The thing that seemed soo appaling to me: u are accusing us of STEALING YOUR JOBS. OMG, would you want to be a waiter? bus boy? dishwasher? Would u want to work in a hot kitchen 12 hours a day? 70 hours a week with no days off? Vacation?-what is it? Would u? so why don't u fckin go ahead and do it, get out of your office cubicles and do some physical work! I'll see how long you're gonna last.
U gonna say: so why did we leave our countries. There's a lot of reasons, mister. U have probably never been outside the US, and don't know nothing about the rest of the world. i'm not gonna start here about it, it's useless anyway.
my point is---we are not stealin your jobs, we are doing the jobs that you people don't want to do, at least not for the same salary.
immigrating to this country is not as easy as you think, so some people have to stay illegal for a while be4 they are given a chance.
as u see, i do speak english. i know more about american history than u or your kids do. i do carry a full coverage insurance.
Extend your horizons people. and don't forget : U ARE IMMIGRANTS TOO
Yes, you are being accused of stealing our jobs. Not mine personally, but Americans jobs. You think that only illegal immigrants will work whatever job they have to work in order to feed their families? Wrong. Americans do it all the time, given the opportunity. Would I want to work in a hot kitchen? Sure, and I have. And I washed dishes, and I bussed tables, and I mowed lawns, and I served drinks, and I cleaned gutters, and picked up trash. This was before I ever got into an office cubicle. I lasted as long as I needed the job, until I was able to get a better one. So don't dare to lecture me about the jobs we won't do or can't last at doing. So yes, you (and I say you because you identified yourself as being in the group) are stealing our jobs. Not my job, but some kid just out of school, looking to make a few bucks so he can afford to go to college. Or a father trying to put a few extra dollars in his pocket, in addition to the full time job that just doesn't pay quite enough. Or a single mother who wants to be sure she can feed her kids. Yes, you are stealing the jobs that Americans would do if you were not here illegally.
Yes, I have been outside of the US, on more than a few occassions, and I do know something about the rest of the world. Of course immigrating to this country is difficult, as it should be. If it were easy, everyone would do it. That does not give someone the right to break our sovereign laws and simply break in and "stay illegal for a while." Get in line behind the thousands of people doing it the right way, and you'll be welcomed with open arms. And no, you do not know more about American history than I do. Whether you know more about it than my eight year old daughter is best left undiscussed for the moment. And no, I am not an immigrant. My great grandparents, and one of my grandparents, were. But they came in through Ellis Island, put their name in a book, and followed the rules. They didn't sneak in at the bottom of a trash truck in the middle of a rainstorm at midnight so no one would see them.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:47 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Yes, you are being accused of stealing our jobs. Not mine personally, but Americans jobs. You think that only illegal immigrants will work whatever job they have to work in order to feed their families? Wrong. Americans do it all the time, given the opportunity. Would I want to work in a hot kitchen? Sure, and I have. And I washed dishes, and I bussed tables, and I mowed lawns, and I served drinks, and I cleaned gutters, and picked up trash. This was before I ever got into an office cubicle. I lasted as long as I needed the job, until I was able to get a better one. So don't dare to lecture me about the jobs we won't do or can't last at doing. So yes, you (and I say you because you identified yourself as being in the group) are stealing our jobs. Not my job, but some kid just out of school, looking to make a few bucks so he can afford to go to college. Or a father trying to put a few extra dollars in his pocket, in addition to the full time job that just doesn't pay quite enough. Or a single mother who wants to be sure she can feed her kids. Yes, you are stealing the jobs that Americans would do if you were not here illegally.
Yes, I have been outside of the US, on more than a few occassions, and I do know something about the rest of the world. Of course immigrating to this country is difficult, as it should be. If it were easy, everyone would do it. That does not give someone the right to break our sovereign laws and simply break in and "stay illegal for a while." Get in line behind the thousands of people doing it the right way, and you'll be welcomed with open arms. And no, you do not know more about American history than I do. Whether you know more about it than my eight year old daughter is best left undiscussed for the moment. And no, I am not an immigrant. My great grandparents, and one of my grandparents, were. But they came in through Ellis Island, put their name in a book, and followed the rules. They didn't sneak in at the bottom of a trash truck in the middle of a rainstorm at midnight so no one would see them.
I agree completely, very well said.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:40 PM

69 posts, read 272,902 times
You have every reason not to like illegals. For one, they don't like you. Two, this is your country. Third, they are a threat to everything you love. Finally, they shouldn't be here in the first place. There are many more reasons.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:04 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
I have a hard time blaming (largely) uneducated and desperate people for our illegal immigration problems. I blame the politicians who are only interested in greasing their own palm and I blame rich, upper class AMERICANS who would stab their fellow citizens in the back by hiring illegal immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.