Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:48 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,333,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges here. Your list is about having the necessary skills and education for a job. Requiring bi-lingualism to communicate with illegal alien invaders is not the same thing.
Quote:
Just as useful as me having to learn the language of illegal alien invaders that I will never use.
Quote:
What skills would those be? Being able communicate with illegal alien borders jumpers here in violation of our immigration laws? Yes, mono-lingual English speakers are being denied jobs because of that.
The ability to communicate is a skill.

Spanish is the second most widely spoken language. Arguably it is equally useful to know as English

The ability to communicate with the most people possible is also a skill

Yes, people with less skills are less desirable to employers.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,847,702 times
Not if I were in Canada....here yeah!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:58 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,028,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
really doubt every person who speaks another language is illegal.

Quote:
Who said they were?
Quote:
Requiring bi-lingualism to communicate with illegal alien invaders is not the same thing.
once again not every person who speaks another language is illegal.
Again some people under certain circumstances may not be comfortable speaking english...
That does not mean they are illegal.

What happened to America being a "melting pot."

Old 07-15-2010, 05:11 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,259,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykatt View Post
they usually get more money too.
So Burger King pays you more if you speak english and spanish?

Old 07-15-2010, 05:12 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,259,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Nope. Not in the slightest.
You do know it's racist, don't you?

Old 07-15-2010, 05:51 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,335,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
once again not every person who speaks another language is illegal.
Again some people under certain circumstances may not be comfortable speaking english...
That does not mean they are illegal.

What happened to America being a "melting pot."
And once again no one has said that every person who speaks another language is illegal.

Tough if they aren't all comfy cozy speaking English. The more you use it the more proficient you become at it and there lays the problem. They get pandered to in their native tongue so they don't get enough practice with their English skills. Some even refuse to speak English unless they have to even though they know how to. If you don't use it, you lose it.

The melting pot went by the wayside the past 20 or so years ago. Immigrants are now pandered to in their native tongues and encouraged to keep their old culture in practice out in mainstream America by the PC idiot, libs running this country. We are becoming a salad bowl instead and losing our identity as a nation.

Last edited by chicagonut; 07-15-2010 at 06:33 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 05:52 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,841,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
If you want to keep the discussion rational don't say stupid things like:

business has the right to hire whom ever they like
I sorry you cant track that the discussion is about language...

the obvious is just that.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:53 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,335,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
The ability to communicate is a skill.

Spanish is the second most widely spoken language. Arguably it is equally useful to know as English

The ability to communicate with the most people possible is also a skill

Yes, people with less skills are less desirable to employers.
You keep missing the point no matter how many times it has been pointed out to you, don't you?

Old 07-15-2010, 06:03 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,841,818 times
Quote:
There wouldn't be that kind of competiveness to deal with if not for so many illegal alien Spanish speakers in this country and that has my been my point all along. It is ridiculous to have to learn the language of illegal alien invaders to get a job or stay competitive in one's own country. I'll learn Swahili first!
You dont have to learn any other language than the one you speak. But a good point was made, one doesnt learn english in a week, so in the interim...businesses can offer services in the perdominate language spoken in their area.

If I live in Chinatown San Fransico, Ca, and my clientele speak mostly Mandarin, what law or custom says I cant hire employees that can serve their needs? Im not forcing anyone to learn Mandarin, but YES I am favoring people that can speak Mandarin over just "Native English speakers"[what ever that means]. there is no descrimination going on.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:29 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,333,258 times
Quote:
You keep missing the point no matter how many times it has been pointed out to you, don't you?
Not if the point is that some people feel that restricting the freedoms of US citizens by limiting the language they are allowed to conduct business in is a 'good' way to go about dealing with the immigration problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration