Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,022,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Have you read any news lately? The economy is already devasted and the illegals weren't deported.

In fact some think the debt ceiling has to go up even a few trillion more. It's about as devastated as it's ever been.
So it can't possibly get worse in your opinion? This is the same dumb argument that was put forth in the "what if 20 million illegals left" thread. The housing market would absolutely plummet with that much demand instantly disappearing. But people think that because the market is already "down" it somehow can't go any lower?

The laws of economics suddenly stop working once prices drop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 AM

951 posts, read 747,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Roadside stands abound and no where is it easier to hide income than a pay by cash set up. How does the gov know exactly how many bushel of what ever vegi was harvested v.s what went to waste?
LOL. What percent of crops sold in America are sold at stands on the side of the road? A few percent at best. That's a generous estimate I'd bet considering what goes to grocery stores and factories to be canned.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Roadside stands abound and no where is it easier to hide income than a pay by cash set up. How does the gov know exactly how many bushel of what ever vegi was harvested v.s what went to waste?
Even dairy farmers many sell whole milk on the side.
How do you think statistics on stuff like this are collected? Government agents are going around counting every ear of corn harvested. There are statistical methods that can account for stuff like this. It's not rocket science.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They bused them into New Orleans after Katrina and they never left.
They who?

Old 07-20-2011, 02:27 PM

321 posts, read 363,650 times
We need every state to do this except California. All of the *******S and ILLEGALS can have the wasteland of California. It has already been bankrupted by the ILLEGALS anyways. Mine as well let them all move there and we can get our country back on track.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:34 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,686,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabluesrq View Post
We need every state to do this except California. All of the *******S and ILLEGALS can have the wasteland of California. It has already been bankrupted by the ILLEGALS anyways. Mine as well let them all move there and we can get our country back on track.
All of them should be deported.

No illegal should be entitled to anything. We should deport the pro illegals crowd with the illegals.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:37 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,213,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

No illegal should be entitled to anything. We should deport the pro illegals crowd with the illegals.
Naturally.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:18 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,344,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

If only that were possible. I find the supporters of illegal aliens even more despicable than the illegal aliens themselves. At least illegals aren't citizens of our country and owe us no loyalty. Citizens advocating for them however do owe this country loyalty. I hold those traitors in contempt.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:27 PM

403 posts, read 334,636 times
Quote:
Only in the case of my area the businesses didnt close down they adapted.
As I said only about 25% of ag jobs are filled by illegals. I dont see a collapse I see them adapting. Ga got caught with their pants down. They assumed that they could continue cheating indefinetly. Next year they will do better becase they wont be depending as heavily on the illegal work force.
The supporting industries such as the canneries etc will adapt as well.
The thin margin may be exaggerated and I have not seen conclusive proof that they pass on the savings to their consumer.
Even dairy farmers many sell whole milk on the side.
You do make valid observations.
Roadside stands account for a very very small percentage of all goods that are produced.

I'm not predicting a collapse, no one can say for sure what will happen. However, there's a reason why more and more companies have been packing up shop and moving over seas and it's not because of illegal immigrants undercutting labor prices. Agriculture is somewhat insulated because of niche markets where consumers are willing to pay higher prices for stuff like locally grown organic produce, but this still represents a very small percentage of agricultural production, like <10% I believe. If 50% of ag production shifts out of the country, those support industries will not simply be able to adapt and move on. There will be a large contraction i.e. more people laid off, less taxes being collected, more people on social programs.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:32 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,263,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalReasoning View Post
You do know that this was already tried. See protectionism, mercantilism, Smoot-Hawley Tariff, and various other economic policies.
Its bad for us to hold our partners to the same standards to which they hold us? I tend to believe that the reason we always seem to end up on the short end of these deals is the fact that our politicians sell us out to the highest bidder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration