Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:03 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,327,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It seems he's not a legal permanent resident after all, and he was here illegally for 13 years before getting a citizen wife and green card marriage. It also sounds like he has permanent brain damage - another reason she might be better off just shipping him back home. He is her responsibility not the taxpayers', she has the choice now to pay for his long term nursing home stay in one country or the other, or she can yank his feeding tube and have him die.

It seems for the sake of the citizen in these green card marriages, there should be a requirement for them to obtain health insurance policies for their immigrant just to avoid this kind of thing. She was foolish not to buy him a plan and now she will have his bills to pay for the rest of her life.

Arizona,Fights to Afford Health Care for Her Brain Damaged Husband - Hispanically Speaking News

and next week, he was scheduled to have a final interview to get a permanent resident card

Saenz-Cornelio said her husband played soccer throughout his entire life and initially qualified for a scholarship to Phoenix College. It did not work out due to a 2006 Arizona law that states undocumented immigrants cannot receive in-state tuition or financial aid from state coffers.

He was legal but not a permanent resident.

Actually no she won't have to pay. What a sponsor has to pay is limited and ennumerated - not open ended. And the sponsorship does not begin in such a circumstance until the permanent residence status is achieved.

So the wife is off the hook, AZ is off the hook, the Feds are off the hook. Who is left? The Hospital...who have to find a suitable facility either in the US or Mexico to dump the guy to. Workable long term care facilities really don't exist as public institutions in Mexico. There really aren't any in the US either. So the Hospital is likely stuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 02:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,898,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
He was legal but not a permanent resident.

Actually no she won't have to pay. What a sponsor has to pay is limited and ennumerated - not open ended. And the sponsorship does not begin in such a circumstance until the permanent residence status is achieved.

So the wife is off the hook, AZ is off the hook, the Feds are off the hook. Who is left? The Hospital...who have to find a suitable facility either in the US or Mexico to dump the guy to. Workable long term care facilities really don't exist as public institutions in Mexico. There really aren't any in the US either. So the Hospital is likely stuck.
He was illegal, just about to get his papers when the accident took place. He was in the in-between phase, already had his green card marriage with a US citizen wife that would change him from illegal to legal resident. He never came here legally but was brought in by parents who came on a tourist visa and then overstayed. His papers were to arrive one week after his accident, he never made it to his final interview.

Who is going to pay? She is his legal spouse. They are a married couple with shared assets and debts. She should pay, he is her immigrant. I agree she's most likely going to be a deadbeat on her legal husband's bills. She likely signed his hospital admission papers, gave consent for treatment and has no intention of paying a dime. She should be hounded by debt collectors the rest of her life like real American citizens are.

Like I said, just because she married someone to get him a green card does not make her financial obligations to her spouse any less than what someone's who marries a citizen. Why is she special because she married a foreigner?

Old 10-02-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He was illegal, just about to get his papers when the accident took place. He was in the in-between phase, already had his green card marriage with a US citizen wife that would change him from illegal to legal resident. He never came here legally but was brought in by parents who came on a tourist visa and then overstayed. His papers were to arrive one week after his accident, he never made it to his final interview.
Sorry..you simply don't understand the system. He was legally in the US and had permission to work at the time of the incident. I have clients presently in the pre-green card stage who will likely not get their green cards for a year or even two. They are perfectly legal, work in the US and go back and forth to Europe. That is how the system works.

Quote:
Who is going to pay? She is his legal spouse. They are a married couple with shared assets and debts. She should pay, he is her immigrant. I agree she's most likely going to be a deadbeat on her legal husband's bills. She likely signed his hospital admission papers, gave consent for treatment and has no intention of paying a dime. She should be hounded by debt collectors the rest of her life like real American citizens are.

Like I said, just because she married someone to get him a green card does not make her financial obligations to her spouse any less than what someone's who marries a citizen. Why is she special because she married a foreigner?
Yes she is likely responsible for his debt and will do the standard All American thing to deal with the matter. She goes bankrupt. Which is exactly what any American citizen couple would do faced with similar circumstances.

The Hospital remains on the hook.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:25 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,879,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
He's not using "welfare" (you guys and gals are getting quite odd in your terminology)...

Apply your statement to other Legal Permanent Residents to see if the comparison holds up...
As long as he's using our services and not paying for them, yes he is using welfare.

Quote:
Read the article, it should still be up on the board...

I'm amazed at how callous some are when someone now in a fully legal status can be considered deportable in this life-or-death medical condition...
I'm amazed at how callous it is to come to another country when you have no intention of learning their language or obeying their laws. I'm amazed at at how callously some people have absolutely no problem telling others to work harder because they are too lazy to work for change in their own countries.

We need serious medical reform here. That reform does not include providing health care for illegal aliens. If they need care they can go back home and get it. Why are you so okay with demanding that Americans pay for other people's health care? Why isn't Carlos Slim -- the world's richest man -- not your object of derision for his refusal to reform Mexico so so many of his fellow Mexicans don't need to come here? Where is your ire for HIM? He can certainly afford it far more than the average American can.

Quote:
Medical insurance is not currently a requirement for immigration (apparently you also missed that a Social Security number is often required for coverage, and that he only was issued a number just a week ago). Your opinions on what coverage someone should have aren't valid against his legally recognized status to be in the United States. Of course you have all of the coverage you have mentioned yourself, so that if anything happens to you it won't be a financial burden to me as a taxpayer?

Here is a brief synopsis how comments have evolved on the thread here:

"He's an illegal, so he should be deported"

"He was an illegal, so he should be deported"

"He has legal residence, but since his wife can't pay the bill he should be deported"

"He should have had medical coverage and didn't, so he should be deported"

"He should be deported so that he is not a financial burden to me as a taxpayer"

Any common theme present?...
Yeah. Americans do not want to work harder to support the economic dreams of foreigners. Why is that is a huge surprise to you? If Americans moved to another country -- especially as illegals -- one could only imagine the cries of colonialism if they pulled the same nonsense.

BTW, don't you admit to using welfare yourself and sending money back to Mexico each month?

Quote:
And a Legal Permanent Resident can be refused re-entry if his wife tries to find a place in Mexico that doesn´t work out. Contrary to what someone here may say, the level of care he needs is not even close to free there. I even suspect that his wife wasn´t an immigrant herself, and could easily be unfamiliar with the medical system, and access for herself to live there on a permanent basis with him.

Her best option, for his continued long-term needs, is treatment without leaving the United States...

In five years or less (he is married to a U.S. citizen after all, and could get waivers for the language and civics tests of U.S. citizenship) he qualifies for Medicaid...
I don't care about his continued long term needs. That's a problem for him and his wife to solve. That's not MY problem. I'm amazed I'm supposed to think otherwise.

I'm also amazed you seem to think we're supposed supposed to be anything less than horrified that we let Down Syndrome immigrate here. That's another law that should be changed ASAP. No one with a permanent and serious medical condition likely to cost American taxpayers money should ever be allowed to immigrate here.

I reiterate: we're not the world's hospital nor are we the world's old age home. If you want to come here do so legally. Pay taxes and learn the language. If you can't meet those requirements go home.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:32 PM

256 posts, read 287,962 times
Can anyone say lethal injection?

To further add to the last poster Obama passed a bill allowing people infected with aid legally enter the country and live. Or should I say die. Who pays, guess.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
As long as he's using our services and not paying for them, yes he is using welfare.
Welfare -

a. Financial or other aid provided, especially by the government, to people ...

Nope. He is using the enforced charity of a hospital but no he is not using government funding.

Quote:
I'm amazed at how callous it is to come to another country when you have no intention of learning their language or obeying their laws. I'm amazed at at how callously some people have absolutely no problem telling others to work harder because they are too lazy to work for change in their own countries.
This guy has lived here since he was 4. I would expect he speaks fluent english. I expect he considers his country the good old USA.

Quote:
We need serious medical reform here. That reform does not include providing health care for illegal aliens. If they need care they can go back home and get it. Why are you so okay with demanding that Americans pay for other people's health care? Why isn't Carlos Slim -- the world's richest man -- not your object of derision for his refusal to reform Mexico so so many of his fellow Mexicans don't need to come here? Where is your ire for HIM? He can certainly afford it far more than the average American can.
He ain't illegal.

He is simply the guy who got caught in the gap. He is getting the health care...and will likely continue to do so. The question is actually who pays for it? Why would Mexico pick up the tab for a guy who has not lived there for almost 20 years?

Quote:
Yeah. Americans do not want to work harder to support the economic dreams of foreigners. Why is that is a huge surprise to you? If Americans moved to another country -- especially as illegals -- one could only imagine the cries of colonialism if they pulled the same nonsense.
So you are suggesting that a US Citizen who goes to a foreign land and lives their from 6 months old to a grown adult should simply be shipped back to the US if he becomes completely disabled? You volunteering to pay for that?

Talk to medicaid about a guy with no quarters....and no SS card.

snip

Quote:
I don't care about his continued long term needs. That's a problem for him and his wife to solve. That's not MY problem. I'm amazed I'm supposed to think otherwise.
Christian charity a foreign thought to you?

Quote:
I'm also amazed you seem to think we're supposed supposed to be anything less than horrified that we let Down Syndrome immigrate here. That's another law that should be changed ASAP. No one with a permanent and serious medical condition likely to cost American taxpayers money should ever be allowed to immigrate here.

I reiterate: we're not the world's hospital nor are we the world's old age home. If you want to come here do so legally. Pay taxes and learn the language. If you can't meet those requirements go home.
Guy appears to be legal and speak English. Pays his taxes. So it is OK if he stays?

Old 10-02-2011, 06:13 PM

256 posts, read 287,962 times
Wheel him into the Catholic Church and let the Vatican take care of him.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,693,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Welfare -

a. Financial or other aid provided, especially by the government, to people ...

Nope. He is using the enforced charity of a hospital but no he is not using government funding.

This guy has lived here since he was 4. I would expect he speaks fluent english. I expect he considers his country the good old USA.

He ain't illegal.

He is simply the guy who got caught in the gap. He is getting the health care...and will likely continue to do so. The question is actually who pays for it? Why would Mexico pick up the tab for a guy who has not lived there for almost 20 years?

So you are suggesting that a US Citizen who goes to a foreign land and lives their from 6 months old to a grown adult should simply be shipped back to the US if he becomes completely disabled? You volunteering to pay for that?

Talk to medicaid about a guy with no quarters....and no SS card.

snip

Christian charity a foreign thought to you?

Guy appears to be legal and speak English. Pays his taxes. So it is OK if he stays?
He entered on a tourist visa with no intent on ever returning.
Recently he did the legal work after becoming illegal.

Since he is not a citizen he should be sent to his country for continued care.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
He comes in on a tourist visa with no intention of leaving. After his visa expired he becomes illegal.

Your thoughts on the situation and full story?
He came in with his family as a sixth grader. He did not enter illegally and was legal at the time of the incident. Children are not responsible for the sins of their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration