Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:42 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,591,048 times

Advertisements

Moving, that is why everyone is heading west. The illegal Hispanics mill around business establishments waiting to get picked up for cheap labor. One that was illegal killed a Mother in Rockland County from the business that hired him. He raped her and then killed her.......that happened in New City. I think it is disgusting.......and we certainly do not want that mentality out here.

The Hat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 11:12 AM

567 posts, read 1,311,370 times
Red face Mr. Hat

That would be why we live in america. the freedom to our own opinion. I certainly rescpect yours, and i'm exercising (probably spelt that wrong) the right to give mine. I grew up in an area where there are tons of everybody, asians, Blacks from america, whites from america, Indians, Pakistanis, FRESH off the boat europeans, egyptians , west africans, Hispanics of all sorts, etc etc, and its better for your kids. When your kids grow up around everyone, as long as hate is not practiced at home, there will be a much less significant amout of racism in the future generations.Assimilations take years, can take decades. The more people dont want it to happen the longer it will take. Throughout my journeys, i have found if you dont snub your nose at people , no matter what color they are or language they speak, they will not snub their nose at you. Again, i certainly respect your opinion, and i hope everything goes the way you'd like it to regarding the future of yours and surrounding communities. Maybe im just another jersey liberal, but if this mass migration of people who are different from us comes. I'll be fine. So will my family.

Best Regards,
No Hard Feelings,

MovingOutOfNj

Old 11-07-2007, 12:15 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,591,048 times
Hey Moving,

First I grew up in a very diversified area of Rockland County. I am no means prejudiced and have friends from many different backgrounds. In case you did not understand, I said "illegal" not legal immigrants. No hard feelings, but I am Mrs. Hat! Have a nice day!

Old 11-07-2007, 01:39 PM

106 posts, read 393,062 times
Oh NEPA how I miss thee. I moved from Wilkes-Barre to Austin, TX and have certainly missed the "SPEAK SOME ENGLISH!" sentiment we carried in our little piece of the valley. although I don't intend to come back, there's certainly a satisfying feeling in being amongst like-minded people. Here, everyone's very concerned about who's more P.C.

Legal or not, learn the language.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:13 PM

15 posts, read 45,112 times
Someone recently sent this link to me and I thought it very fitting for this conversation...

YouTube - Press One For English

While I believe in diversity and LEGAL immigration, English is our language.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:03 PM

113 posts, read 416,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post
That would be why we live in america. the freedom to our own opinion. I certainly rescpect yours, and i'm exercising (probably spelt that wrong) the right to give mine. I grew up in an area where there are tons of everybody, asians, Blacks from america, whites from america, Indians, Pakistanis, FRESH off the boat europeans, egyptians , west africans, Hispanics of all sorts, etc etc, and its better for your kids. When your kids grow up around everyone, as long as hate is not practiced at home, there will be a much less significant amout of racism in the future generations.Assimilations take years, can take decades. The more people dont want it to happen the longer it will take. Throughout my journeys, i have found if you dont snub your nose at people , no matter what color they are or language they speak, they will not snub their nose at you. Again, i certainly respect your opinion, and i hope everything goes the way you'd like it to regarding the future of yours and surrounding communities. Maybe im just another jersey liberal, but if this mass migration of people who are different from us comes. I'll be fine. So will my family.

Best Regards,
No Hard Feelings,

MovingOutOfNj
No offense, but you sound rather naive. "Throughout my journeys, i have found if you dont snub your nose at people , no matter what color they are or language they speak, they will not snub their nose at you. " Are you kidding? I can tell you've never been to France, that's for sure. I grew up all over the world, so I can surely appreciate cultural diversity. I do note, however, that in your list of foreign nationals you have lived among, you did not include any references to Hispanics/Latins/Mexicans. That would naturally lead one to believe you have no experience living amongst people who come from Latin countries -- so, you really can't speak knowledgebly on this topic.

All joking aside, NEPA needs to plan for the incursion that is definitely coming or we'll have another Hazelton on our hands. People get really upset when their towns are overrun with a population that cares nothing for the existing culture and social customs. Upset people do rash things, and I don't think we want any "native uprisings."

Old 11-07-2007, 03:33 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,025,337 times
This is an interesting thread so I will post my 2 cents. Those that are annoyed or disgusted with the catering that occurs to Hispanics have only their politicians, the American system, and greed to thank for it. Assign blame where it belongs.

Blame the politicians WHO ARE THE ONES PASSING THE LAWS so that Spanish is plastered over everything. Blame the greed of corporations for PRINTING LABELS ON THEIR PRODUCTS IN SPANISH..they want to make sure this segment can read and buy their products and services after all. Don't blame Hispanics because they have participated in the political system and have had success...that is the American way.

Speaking of the American way...why is it a problem that Hispanics are moving into these communities and "taking them over?" The concept of Manifest Destiny is why we have a Pennsylvania, and those other states all the way to the Pacific Ocean, Alaska, Hawai, etc. When exactly did Americans ever move into these areas, or any areas, and do anything remotely similar to assimilation or a peaceful entry? What we as a country know best, and the country was built on, is to invade an area and completely take it over....read up on history....THAT is the American way..for better or worse. Just because you were here first does not mean the rules of the American way no longer apply...

The shoe is now on the other foot so now it's a problem? Hispanics are moving in... with different customs and cultures, "taking over" areas and "not assimilating"... all of a sudden this act that has ALWAYS been the American way is no longer tolerated? It is only okay once you are here...so 500 years of "AMERICANS" taking over, invading lands in this country, not assimilating, and using violence and disease to stake their claims is okay...but Hispanics are following the American way and now it's a problem.

Consider yourselves lucky...you will likely only be subjected to loud music and refried beans..a far cry from the dieases and vicious violence that wiped out millions. Just a different perspective and something to think about....

Old 11-07-2007, 04:55 PM

Exclamation MsMilford

please.. read the whole paragraph twice before you tell me "you really can't speak knowledgebly on this topic."

I wrote:
"I grew up in an area where there are tons of everybody,asians, Blacks from america, whites from america, Indians, Pakistanis, FRESH off the boat europeans, egyptians , west africans, Hispanics of all sorts, "

...Hispanics of all sorts = puerto ricans, cubans, mexicans, ecuadorians, brazilains, peruvians, argentinians(spelt that wrong), dominicans, etc etc.
Many of my best friends are of ecuadorian and peruvian families who all are all 1st generation families to land in america.

I implore that you be careful what your responding to, because i do not appreciate the disrespect to my opinion, or the comment about being "naive". Because just as you seemed to have thought i "cant speak knowledgeably" about a topic, you cant speak knowledgably about what i am or am not naive to. You dont know me, and you never will.

-MovingOutOfNj

Old 11-07-2007, 04:58 PM

32,637 posts, read 77,911,352 times
While I'm by no means a supporter of illegal immigration, I also feel as if people like Mayor Barletta need to view ALL angles before proposing such legislation. He should have planned in advance for the inevitable backlash that was going to ensue against not only the illegal immigrants in Hazleton, but the LEGAL ones as well. I believe it was Stalin who said "When you chop wood, chips fly" in reference to the collateral damage that occurs when you're working towards a common goal. Why must there have been any collateral damage here? Hazleton is a blue-collar city, and no offense to the blue-collars on this forum, but blue-collar cities have a reputation the way it is for not being very accepting of different cultures. As such, Mayor Barletta SHOULD have had some sort of educational/training programs in place IN ADVANCE to inform his constituents to only target the ILLEGAL immigrants, not LEGAL ones as well, as did occur.

If it weren't for LEGAL Hispanic immigration into Southern Luzerne County, then the county's population would have continued to decline over the past several years instead of showing a turnaround. What our county needs is MORE LEGAL RESIDENTS, and Mayor Barletta is no hero in my book for scaring them away because he was too short-sighted to realize that his constituency would target ALL Hispanics. I could have told him this would happen years ago based upon my own experiences with gay-bashers in the region who lump myself, a rather masculine male, with my "out and proud" San Francisco pride parade counterparts. People around here just see someone as Hispanic, gay, etc. They don't stop to differentiate between "legal" or "illegal" or "masculine" or "effeminate."

What good did Mayor Barletta do in the long-run if in his quest to rid his city of unwanted illegal immigrants he also scared off hard-working, tax-paying, LEGAL immigrants? Been to Hazleton lately? It's not a pretty sight. It could have used the shot in the arm that the LEGAL immigrants could have provided to it. Instead they fled town en masse during the debacle earlier this year.

First educate the people in Hazleton that NOT all Hispanics in their city are here illegally. Then go on ahead and pursue such ambitious legislation. Sadly, the fact that he garnered 90% of the vote yesterday proves to me that 9/10 of the region couldn't care less about the harassment the LEGAL Hispanics now face in order to scare off their illegal counterparts.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Guywithacause

I'm glad someone sees it the way i do. Rice and Beans are among my favorite dishes. I thought i had my back to the wall on this forum, i no longer feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration