Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:58 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,007,979 times

Advertisements

I understand cousinal...but you are speaking about how you feel rather than the reality. You FEEL that they are somehow disrespecting you...you FEEL that they have an attitude, and you assume that we are here to serve them, you assume that they believe we must accept their bad behaviors..etc.

The reality is America was built on just these sorts of invasions...this is nothing new...the same complaints of assimilation, crime, etc is rehashed over and over again...the Germans...the Irish..the Italians...the Hispanics...the Illegals....it is an American trait like no other. The fact remains that the country will continue to be inundated with Hispanics and Asians of all kinds, illegal/naturalized/born/immigrant etc....so until the system is fixed...your complaints, problems, prejudices,whether justified or not...will NEVER be solved. Direct your complaints to the right people and channels...the POLITICIANS...the CORPORATIONS....the GOVERNMENT...how the SYSTEM FUNCTIONS. And only then will you not be wasting your time and energy on complaining and doing something positive with your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 03:46 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,956,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
There were Mexicans in PA? Do tell.

Last I checked, Mexico became a country in 1810. The USA in 1776. What kind of math are you using?
It doesn't matter who became a country first. Before the Europeans came there were already lively societies of Native American indians from North America and Mexico.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:22 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I understand cousinal...but you are speaking about how you feel rather than the reality. You FEEL that they are somehow disrespecting you...you FEEL that they have an attitude, and you assume that we are here to serve them, you assume that they believe we must accept their bad behaviors..etc.

The reality is America was built on just these sorts of invasions...this is nothing new...the same complaints of assimilation, crime, etc is rehashed over and over again...the Germans...the Irish..the Italians...the Hispanics...the Illegals....it is an American trait like no other. The fact remains that the country will continue to be inundated with Hispanics and Asians of all kinds, illegal/naturalized/born/immigrant etc....so until the system is fixed...your complaints, problems, prejudices,whether justified or not...will NEVER be solved. Direct your complaints to the right people and channels...the POLITICIANS...the CORPORATIONS....the GOVERNMENT...how the SYSTEM FUNCTIONS. And only then will you not be wasting your time and energy on complaining and doing something positive with your life.
They've got an attitude, alright, and it's disrespect to U.S. citizens, marching around with Mexican flags DEMANDING their "rights", trashing neighborhoods as described in this thread, and DEMANDING that we speak their language instead of the other way around.

They are not helping themselves with their bad attitudes and behavior. You don't FEEL that it's bad behavior, but I do - maybe we were brought up differently. I'm probably also older and used to things being structured a certain way, and I see people like this (hispanic or not) being spoilers of our way of life.

So, we agree to disagree? BTW, I do very positive things with my life - I have a great job, lots of friends, my own home, a loving partner, etc. That has nothing to do with immigration!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:18 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,581,357 times
and what pray tell does any of this have to do with a radio station broadcasting in Spanish beyond the xenephobic comments that your "culture" is being invaded? Growing up in Miami I heard the same BS by mostly racist Anglos and their outright bigotry but hey like some have posted the Italians,Polish and other non English speaking immigrants from Europe were treated the same. In case you are not aware the vast majority of the Western Hemisphere speaks Spanish and for those that say we disrespect America by speaking another language is just downright ignorant. Why are there no complaints about Asian immigrants & their "Chinatowns" and signage? I can understand the issues with illegals but realize the vast majority of we "hispanics" do speak English and Spanish isn't even spoken by successive generations.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
and what pray tell does any of this have to do with a radio station broadcasting in Spanish beyond the xenephobic comments that your "culture" is being invaded? Growing up in Miami I heard the same BS by mostly racist Anglos and their outright bigotry but hey like some have posted the Italians,Polish and other non English speaking immigrants from Europe were treated the same. In case you are not aware the vast majority of the Western Hemisphere speaks Spanish and for those that say we disrespect America by speaking another language is just downright ignorant. Why are there no complaints about Asian immigrants & their "Chinatowns" and signage? I can understand the issues with illegals but realize the vast majority of we "hispanics" do speak English and Spanish isn't even spoken by successive generations.
Using the words "racist" and "bigot" doesn't get you anywhere. It's just a ploy to stop the dialogue, so that anti illegals won't say anything. Well, it doesn't work.

Many hispanics could easily be called racist or bigoted themselves - it goes both ways. And, it IS disrespectful if you plan to live somewhere, and refuse to learn the language.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:41 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,250,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Using the words "racist" and "bigot" doesn't get you anywhere. It's just a ploy to stop the dialogue, so that anti illegals won't say anything. Well, it doesn't work.

Many hispanics could easily be called racist or bigoted themselves - it goes both ways. And, it IS disrespectful if you plan to live somewhere, and refuse to learn the language.
Refusing to learn the language is not the same as a broadcast in spanish. With all of the stations out there today, I can't believe that this is objectionable. It isn't like it "crowds out" quality programming.

Advertisers pay for the content, so the market must appropriately exist.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Refusing to learn the language is not the same as a broadcast in spanish. With all of the stations out there today, I can't believe that this is objectionable. It isn't like it "crowds out" quality programming.

Advertisers pay for the content, so the market must appropriately exist.
Yes, that's right - one thing to refuse to learn the language - another to have broadcasts in Spanish or any other language!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:52 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,139,091 times
Is this the single station in the area, or in Carbondale?

Is there a large number of Spanish-speakers coming into the area?

Old 11-09-2007, 11:07 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,007,979 times
Ultimately...these people FEEL threatened because they FEEL that the country BELONGS to them.....so it was okay for THEM to criss cross the country...rape, pillage, steal, and murder millions to get what they want....but now that they are here and are benefitting from the prior savagery of their ancestors...the rules no longer apply and we must now do, say, and be....what they want.

Unfortunately...that is not the way this country works..or has EVER functioned. There will be radio stations, there will be different languages...different customs, traditions, all different from you...welcome to the WORLD that exists outside of BooFoo, Middle America. If you want to hide and run from the world...you must pack up and head to the caves.....the world....with all that is good and bad....is coming.

Your FEELINGS have been noted...but you are spending too much time getting your opinions from FOX "News." Hannity and Colmes, and Bill O'Reilly are entertainment shows...not NEWS....they are slightly worse than ET and Inside Edition.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Ultimately...these people FEEL threatened because they FEEL that the country BELONGS to them.....so it was okay for THEM to criss cross the country...rape, pillage, steal, and murder millions to get what they want....but now that they are here and are benefitting from the prior savagery of their ancestors...the rules no longer apply and we must now do, say, and be....what they want.

Unfortunately...that is not the way this country works..or has EVER functioned. There will be radio stations, there will be different languages...different customs, traditions, all different from you...welcome to the WORLD that exists outside of BooFoo, Middle America. If you want to hide and run from the world...you must pack up and head to the caves.....the world....with all that is good and bad....is coming.

Your FEELINGS have been noted...but you are spending too much time getting your opinions from FOX "News." Hannity and Colmes, and Bill O'Reilly are entertainment shows...not NEWS....they are slightly worse than ET and Inside Edition.
Thing is, you're outnumbered. The American citizens are up-in-arms about this illegal garbage going on - we don't care if someone plays by the rules. We are the most welcoming country in the world, we take in more immigrants than anyone LEGALLY.

And, right now, the country DOES belong to the U.S. citizens, who pay the taxes and fight the wars. Just like Mexico belongs to the Mexicans, or France belongs to the French, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration