Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:01 PM

32,639 posts, read 77,911,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post
I'm glad someone sees it the way i do. Rice and Beans are among my favorite dishes. I thought i had my back to the wall on this forum, i no longer feel that way.
I owe you one dinner sometime at La Tolteca (in a strictly pleutonic way of course!) I'm just curious to hear from a true Hispanic as to whether or not their cuisine passes a true taste test!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 05:10 PM

567 posts, read 1,311,495 times
Default Scranton

Very Brave of you to be open the way you are, your alright in my book. There is a difference between legals and illegals absoultely.Minimum wages and taxes especially. Those are the major problems with illegal immigrants as far as i'm concerned. and as far as sexual orientation is concerned, it is no ones business to criticize. At all.. ever...

Also, I am italian, i'm not hispanic. But i can sure tell you if its authentic lol.

Perth Amboy, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If your ever in Jersey.. Visit the Southwest section (Smith Street). There are DOZENS of restuarants with authentic spanish food. Also there are many good barber shops as well as i visit them weekly.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:56 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,714,522 times
Sorry, I didn't read this whole thing (it's late and I'm tired) but one thought that came to my mind is that perhaps we WASPs are now becoming the new Native Americans - we were "here first" and others will move in and just take over. Not a pretty thought, and perhaps it will give us all a new perspective on how the "Indians" felt so long ago. Hopefully that made sense to someone other than me. As I said, it's late and I'm tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
This is an interesting thread so I will post my 2 cents. Those that are annoyed or disgusted with the catering that occurs to Hispanics have only their politicians, the American system, and greed to thank for it. Assign blame where it belongs.

Blame the politicians WHO ARE THE ONES PASSING THE LAWS so that Spanish is plastered over everything. Blame the greed of corporations for PRINTING LABELS ON THEIR PRODUCTS IN SPANISH..they want to make sure this segment can read and buy their products and services after all. Don't blame Hispanics because they have participated in the political system and have had success...that is the American way.

Speaking of the American way...why is it a problem that Hispanics are moving into these communities and "taking them over?" The concept of Manifest Destiny is why we have a Pennsylvania, and those other states all the way to the Pacific Ocean, Alaska, Hawai, etc. When exactly did Americans ever move into these areas, or any areas, and do anything remotely similar to assimilation or a peaceful entry? What we as a country know best, and the country was built on, is to invade an area and completely take it over....read up on history....THAT is the American way..for better or worse. Just because you were here first does not mean the rules of the American way no longer apply...

The shoe is now on the other foot so now it's a problem? Hispanics are moving in... with different customs and cultures, "taking over" areas and "not assimilating"... all of a sudden this act that has ALWAYS been the American way is no longer tolerated? It is only okay once you are here...so 500 years of "AMERICANS" taking over, invading lands in this country, not assimilating, and using violence and disease to stake their claims is okay...but Hispanics are following the American way and now it's a problem.

Consider yourselves lucky...you will likely only be subjected to loud music and refried beans..a far cry from the dieases and vicious violence that wiped out millions. Just a different perspective and something to think about....

Old 11-07-2007, 09:08 PM

113 posts, read 416,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post
I'm glad someone sees it the way i do. Rice and Beans are among my favorite dishes. I thought i had my back to the wall on this forum, i no longer feel that way.
Not so fast, MovingOutOfNJ.

Someone agreeing with you, even in part, is apparently more important to you than the facts. What in the world does liking rice and beans have to do with what is happening to this country due to the effects of illegal immigration? Mexican food happens to be a favorite of mine, and lord knows there's precious little decent Mexican food to come by in NEPA. But I certainly wouldn't sacrifice the personal, political and financial security of my neighbors to get it.

I think you missed ScantonWilkesBarre's point. In part, he critiqued the manner in which Mayor Barletta handled the illegal immigration issue in Wilkes-Barre. He did not say that the illegal immigration issue should not have been dealt with at all. Just like my previous post said, the issue of mass hispanic influx needs to be dealt with in advance, not after problems have already arisen. There are enough examples of look-the-other-way in this country to allow local municipalities to begin setting some standards instead of just reacting after the fact.

Quote:
I implore that you be careful what your responding to, because i do not appreciate the disrespect to my opinion, or the comment about being "naive". Because just as you seemed to have thought i "cant speak knowledgeably" about a topic, you cant speak knowledgably about what i am or am not naive to. You dont know me, and you never will.
You're right, I don't know you and never will, which is just fine. You indicated that you have lived amongst mixed cultures and races. However, you did not say that you had resided amongst a predomintantly ILLEGAL hispanic community. I have. For 14 years I watched my community go from a quiet, friendly, prosperous small but cohesive town to a splintered municipality with escalating violent crime and domestic violence, declining property values and so much more. I respectfully submit that you really have no idea what you are talking about on this particular issue. To compare the current illegal Hispanic influx with colonizing this country is like comparing apples to oranges.

I'm a pretty open-minded person, so, to be honest, I can hardly believe that I am taking this stance. But a lesson lived is a lesson learned.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:06 PM

Lightbulb milford

once more, i will respectfully submit that you have no clue what your talking about in regards to my community.

My community may not have been predominately illegal, that does NOT mean there were none. Every town bordering NYC, as mine did, has its gracious share of illegal immigrants.My community would not have function properly without illegal immigrants. Our economy needed them.And i am not for illegal immigration by any means... Violence has nothing to do with immigrints being illegal, that is tied to a poor police squad.

someone agreeing with me is always important. and i dont see any factual statements made in your post.

"decent Mexican food to come by in NEPA. But I certainly wouldn't sacrifice the personal, political and financial security of my neighbors to get it. "

in regards to that statement, your trying to tell me hispanics, legal or not, are going to be solely responsible for your neighbors personal security? What are you afraid of?... They're going to sacrifice your political security? If they are legal, they have a right to vote to what serves there best interest. If they're not.. they dont vote.. it cant affect your political security....And your financial security? do you think an illegal immigrant is going to take your job? if your worried about that, your in the wrong field.

" For 14 years I watched my community go from a quiet, friendly, prosperous small but cohesive town to a splintered municipality with escalating violent crime and domestic violence, declining property values and so much more."

I am amazed that you will corrolate illegal immigrants with escalating violent crime. Domestic Violence happens in many many homes, white black and hispanic. declining property values happen in many places. Trailer parks bring down property values. crime brings down property values. Bad schools bring down property values.

If you elect the right people to office, you will have fabulous schools, with fabulous teachers.

If you elect the right people to office, they will hire the best young minds to the police force, and deal with crime accordingly, and deport any illegals found in the process. If you think your neighor is illegal.. call INS!, let them investigate. Do your part for your community.

Again, While i dont agree with illegal immigration , they have every right to attempt to live as we do. "Its not cheating until you get caught" is a phrase repeated over and over and its none of my business.

I question your the openness of your mind, due to the fact you dont seem to want these people to have a chance. you seem directly relate illegal immigrants to all of your communities problems. You dont mention the more then likely corrupt local government, who more then likely doesnt seek proper state funding. Poor Politics and the lack of community involvement is what may have destroyed or impaired your community. Not illegal immigrants.

I'm not an avid politician, nor will i pretend to be. Republicans and Democrats both suck. But if your so concerned about your neighbors personal financial and political security, Maybe you should run for mayor and hire your own staff.... I for one could care-less if my neighbor has a green card a citizenship or is ready to be deported. As long as they mind their business and let me go on with my merry life, they can go and do the same with theirs.

If you have hate in your heart towards the hispanic people or anyone for that matter.. its all your business to hate them. but to blame them for a poor community isnt fair.

This post.. now that i have finished typing out my frustrations.. was about a hispanic radio station.. not a illegal hispanic radio-station. you assume this "Hispanic influx" is going to be all illegal immigrants.. and as that may or may not be the case..what does it matter if they are hispanic. Do you assume if they were polish it would be better.. or irish.. i am a very prould italian/irish american. A european illegal is no better then a hispanic illegal.. a European legal is no better then a hispanic legal.. they are all people just the same.

I do agree they should make an effort to learn english. As i have stated before however, its they're business. its no different then going into an italian store and conversing in italian.

you must be of an older generation, which is not a shot at you at all. If you have nearly 15 years near illegals and other such immigrants and cultures, you would have learned to cope with the community impairment, if you will. you would have made friends with a good number of them, and determined that they are generally great people with great hearts.

As i mentioned to Scranton, Visit Perth Amboy, NJ and travel down center city smith street. i can garuntee you there are plenty of illegal immigrants, but its a great atmosphere. Wonderful Music, Great Food, Smiling people. Beautiful Women (sorry couldnt resist adding that) and just a overall feeling of the community being ALIVE. It is a 69% Latin city (not counting illegals) of 48,000 people.. slightly larger then wilkes barre which is a 92% Caucasion city. I drove all around wilkes barre on a beautiful Saturday afternoon and saw no street like it.

I am not putting wilkes-barre down at all, I liked it and i plan on moving there, i am simply mentioning that a latin city is one of the most vibrant cities i've ever visited.

Enjoy your evening and, as mentioned, no hard feelings.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:04 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,025,659 times
Dawn and MovingoutofNJ...don't be dismayed by the ignorance displayed here. It is ALWAYS easier to blame your problems on easy targets...the latest being Hispanics moving into the area. Before that it might have been the Blacks....before that the Irish...the Italians..and on and on.

Americans, as a whole, do not intergrate...it is not in their nature. They enter communities, violently, and take them over, exterminating all in their path...that is the history of this country. So now Hispanics are coming in..opening stores, getting a radio station, and it's a big problem and the country is in a tailspin and we are all going to hell. The hypocricy is laughable if it were not so dangerous.

Unfortunately, Hispanics will bear the brunt of all the hate as they inevitably move throughout the county....blamed for all that is wrong with the towns, communities, schools, medical care, government, etc. Just remember that this country was born, bred, and is the success that it is based on the invasions of Americans westward and subsequent annihilation and rape of all in its path.

Hispanics are following a highly succesful, tried and true American way...why blame them for that?

Old 11-08-2007, 08:18 AM

Sigh.

You're right, this post was about the first all-Hispanic music radio station.

In a nutshell, the entire point of my posts was to alert NEPA residents that the Hispanic radio station is just the beginning of drastic change to their way of life unless action is taken to prevent it. Period.

I am not going to take the time to respond to your many misinterpretations of many elements of my posts. Suffice it to say that while you appear welcome with open arms the Hispanic influx (mostly illegal BTW, and that's a fact), I, on the other hand, do not, UNLESS IT IS CONTROLLED. My very recent experience with the very real results of the uncontrolled influx of massive amounts of illegal Hispanics to an area have taught me, and many others, a lesson no amount of formal education can teach.

Moving, your continued idealism regarding this issue is very sweet, but it's just not realistic. You will see.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,025,659 times
I have seen what an uncontrolled influx of people who did not belong can do....look around...you, your neighbors, your community, and your state are all a direct product of the uncontrolled, violent invasion. But it was okay for them and you...but not anyone else right? Now that you are here..no more..it's not "fair" right?

I agree that there will be changes to many communities over the coming years, as different groups of people move into "your" community. Such is life..and you have no more right to it than the groups did before you. That is the American way....

If you feel you can prevent it...good luck...but before you incite hate (purposely or otherwise) and pass judgement...make sure you acknowledge that you, your friends, and your community are all benefitting from the prior invasion that refused to intergrate, and ultimately spread disease, violence, rape and death to millions. I will not allow you to rewrite history so that you can lure people to your ignorance.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I have seen what an uncontrolled influx of people who did not belong can do....look around...you, your neighbors, your community, and your state are all a direct product of the uncontrolled, violent invasion. But it was okay for them and you...but not anyone else right? Now that you are here..no more..it's not "fair" right?

I agree that there will be changes to many communities over the coming years, as different groups of people move into "your" community. Such is life..and you have no more right to it than the groups did before you. That is the American way....

If you feel you can prevent it...good luck...but before you incite hate (purposely or otherwise) and pass judgement...make sure you acknowledge that you, your friends, and your community are all benefitting from the prior invasion that refused to intergrate, and ultimately spread disease, violence, rape and death to millions. I will not allow you to rewrite history so that you can lure people to your ignorance.

Just wake up already. Our country cannot sustain millions of non-taxpayers (illegals) raping the system. You want to pay taxes, follow the existing laws, great, you are welcome. Otherwise, stay out.

I can't wait to see what future posts on this topic are going to look like. Either your eyes will be opened to reality, or you will be down on the ground being overrun and wondering what hit you. Educate yourselves already. And I don't mean with more liberal rhetoric, try some reality for a change. It's a real eye-opener.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:13 AM

Post shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMilford View Post
Suffice it to say that while you appear welcome with open arms the Hispanic influx (mostly illegal BTW, and that's a fact), I, on the other hand, do not, UNLESS IT IS CONTROLLED. My very recent experience with the very real results of the uncontrolled influx of massive amounts of illegal Hispanics to an area have taught me, and many others, a lesson no amount of formal education can teach.

Moving, your continued idealism regarding this issue is very sweet, but it's just not realistic. You will see.
To be short, because i have made my point clear on this forum,
Its not a matter of formal education, and i am not trying to be sweet.

I am giving you experience through my eyes, its no gimmick. To tell me "you will see" does not apply because i have seen.

You seem to completely disregard posts that tell you what i have and havent been through. What i have and havent experienced. You keep saying That i have no knowledge on the subject, i am naive, i will see.. I live with your legendary Hispanic influx every day. And I, nor is anyone in my community, particularly bothered by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration