Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:20 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No, it's a personal observation and life experience insight. If you're allowed to use your perspective of what you "see" and "experience" in a heavily-Mexican populated area, I'm allowed to use my perspective living amongst throngs of Cubans, Venezuelans and other assorted white Hispanics in a place with some REAL Hispanic diversity besides, "Central American" (which we have quite a lot of too).

There's a racial hierarchy prevalent in Latin America, and you simply cannot deny it. Why is Vicente Fox white as any German, yet Mexico itself majority Mestizo? How come if I watched Univision or Telemundo on mute I'd think I was watching Irish TV? (except Sabado Gigante, of course).
The man has a point, ProLogic--"Hispanic" is basically a concept used within US culture---There is some appreciation for the common bond of language "Down South" (one old network show was titled "Trecientos Milliones", meaning the whole Spanish-speaking New World Pop.) but you won't hear much mention of "Hispanics" Trying to get South Americans to talk in terms of "Hispanics" would be a little like asking around Hong Kong for the location of "Chinatown"....it just usually doesn't mean much in that setting.

Mestizos, as they are known in Mexico and the US, aren't particularly common down there. Argentina and Uruguay are practically European countries set in South America---nearly all-white. Bolivia and Paraguay are essentially Indian societies ruled by a tiny white aristocracy. Panama and Brazil are so varied that they defy categorization. There is every type of people on earth, and in large numbers, somewhere in Latin America.

It's simply an Anglo "fallacy" that, having known Mexicans, they conclude that Latin Americans are "just like that", all the way down to Cape Horn. Nothing could be further from the truth. And yes, there IS a lot of racism down there---in different forms. But America doesn't have a monopoly on misunderstanding people--in fact, by comparison with most of the world, America treats people quite well. I know this isn't what you learn in public school, but believe me, I have no reason to defend bad behavior. We have some here, but other places have much more....

Old 11-07-2007, 06:22 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I'm pretty sure its only a term used to describe people from Spanish speaking backgrounds in the U.S. THERES A FREAKING 'HISPANIC MAGAZINE'. I GET IT EVERY MONTH. Even Spanish channels use the term 'Hispano' which is the Spanish version of Hispanic.
It still means nothing. Just because it "exists" doesn't mean it wasn't pulled out of thin air. Today it pretty much means, "Yay, look at me. I have an ancestor who settled in a country founded by conquistadors! Give me minority entitlement status!"

Plus, it's a GREAT marketing gimmick! I mean, honestly, "Hispanic Magazine?!" Besides, by the logic of the term "Hispanic," then any Mexican descent person born in the United States should be construed as a "Brittanican," and be considered to be of a British ethnicity.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:28 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Quote:
It still means nothing. Just because it "exists" doesn't mean it wasn't pulled out of thin air. Today it pretty much means, "Yay, look at me. I have an ancestor who settled in a country founded by conquistadors! Give me minority entitlement status!"

Plus, it's a GREAT marketing gimmick! I mean, honestly, "Hispanic Magazine?!" Besides, by the logic of the term "Hispanic," then any Mexican descent person born in the United States should be construed as a "Brittanican," and be considered to be of a British ethnicity.
An awful lot of Spanish-language TV is aimed at a US audience. Lots of it is actually produced in the US. Perhaps the word "Hispano" (I've heard this, too, like ProLogic says) is tailored for the US viewing audience...(?)..I don't know.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
An awful lot of Spanish-language TV is aimed at a US audience. Lots of it is actually produced in the US. Perhaps the word "Hispano" (I've heard this, too, like ProLogic says) is tailored for the US viewing audience...(?)..I don't know.

Well, Miami IS the capital of Latin America!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:26 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,083 times
Quote:
Well, Miami IS the capital of Latin America!
As California is the capital for all Latin American-- countries. Miami is the capital of Cuba.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:05 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Bottom line:

Hispanic, Latin, Latino, etc. are weasel words.

Translation: many Mestizo's (especially the darker skinned ones) use the above words to avoid acknowledging their American Indian heritage------due to Hispanic culture being White Supremacist.

Sad; very sad.

Especially being that the East Indians tend to be very dark skinned-----and, the ones here in the USA also tend to be very successful as a group.

So much for dark skin being a fatal handicap for advancement.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Bottom line:

Translation: many Mestizo's (especially the darker skinned ones) use the above words to avoid acknowledging their American Indian heritage------due to Hispanic culture being White Supremacist.

Sad; very sad.

Especially being that the East Indians tend to be very dark skinned-----and, the ones here in the USA also tend to be very successful as a group.

How should people from South America be referenced as then? Just, South American?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:06 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
How should people from South America be referenced as then? Just, South American?
Excellent question.

The US government refers to any person from a 'Spanish speaking' country as 'Hispanic'.

Yet; the Affirmative Action laws here in the USA tend to discriminate against blond haired, blue eyed White Hispanics------especially those with non Spanish surnames in favor of Mestizos of Mexican lineage.

And; there is Belize.......the Spanish speaking Mestizos from that country are not Hispanic in the legal sense.

Plus; there is French Guyana-----which is legally France in every sense of the word aside from location.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
As California is the capital for all Latin American-- countries. Miami is the capital of Cuba.

You have it in reverse! California is the capital of MEXICO.

Miami has a diverse Latin American community, with the Cubans actually thinning out in numbers (though still dominant) as they move up the coast, out, and into mainstream America.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:36 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Bottom line:

Sad; very sad.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but your statement has fired up some curiosity
Case in point..we have 3 people here at work from Peru..two very very dark and facial features somewhat similiar to Native American indians..the third is whiter then me, lighter hair...so based on what you are saying the *whiter* fellow is decended from people of possibly Spain or Portugal ???

While the *darker* two are actually native to South America, Peru as they decend from the South American indians????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration