Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:12 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,751,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Let's bring this back to topic: The basis of this thread is that the poster assumes that there are illegal aliens everywhere because she hears Hispanics speaking....gasp..Spanish! The poster then assumes because they speak Spanish that they cannot speak English...and thus must be illegal aliens. Do you or do you not agree with the poster?
Obviously if you had read my previous post, you would have noted that I do not agree that all Spanish speaking persons are illegal aliens. I will say AGAIN and for the final time, that the inability to communicate in English, even broken English, unless of course, the person doing the communicating is in possession of a tourist's visa, may indicate (and please notice that I am not saying it is a definite indication) an ill-defined legal status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 01:27 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,147 times
The inability to communicate in English is oftentimes not at all an inability, but typically either a preference to speak in the language that the person is most comfortable with, and/or the person may feel insecure about the fluency and choose to speak in the language they can best communicate in...none of which are indicative of "status."

Of course..it is far easier in life to live by stereotypes and assumptions, so its easier to just believe because they don't speak English to you, or speak brokern English, they can't speak English at all and therefore their status must be questionable. Sounds like we live in a Nazi state to me..or at least thats how you would like American citizens to live.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:47 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,751,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
The inability to communicate in English is oftentimes not at all an inability, but typically either a preference to speak in the language that the person is most comfortable with, and/or the person may feel insecure about the fluency and choose to speak in the language they can best communicate in...none of which are indicative of "status."

Of course..it is far easier in life to live by stereotypes and assumptions, so its easier to just believe because they don't speak English to you, or speak brokern English, they can't speak English at all and therefore their status must be questionable. Sounds like we live in a Nazi state to me..or at least thats how you would like American citizens to live.
Wow. Nazi state eh? Not a small insult to a person whose great-grandfather on her father's side was a Dutch Jew who immigrated to Sweden to avoid persecution.

You, sir--with or without your "cause" and your circular rhetoric make it impossible to carry on any sort of constructive dialogue. The methodology by which you forumulate your pseudo discourse completely escapes me and I really don't have the time nor the inclination to disseminate exactly what it is that you are trying to say here.

I am most definitely through with your boilerplate homilies. Please don't bother to respond to any more of my posts. You don't read them thoroughly enough to actually formulate a judicious response anyway.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:57 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,147 times
[moderator Cut: off topic] Whenever you are ready to duel again...I will be here fully armed with my circular logic, pseudo discourse, boilerplate homilies, and even some facts for good measure!

Here is a judicious/delicious/fergalicious question to the original poster: Do you believe that ultimately it is the corporations to blame for the immigration fiasco that we see today, the government, the system, or the immigrants themselves..or a combination of all? What do you believe to be the answer..if there is any?

I believe that so long as Corporations/Business are SOLELY interested in the bottom live, irrespective of what reforms may occur on immigration/the system, the problem will never be solved. If the corporations cannot undercut Americans here by using cheap labor (whatever status they may be), they will just continue to ship these jobs/business overseas. At the end of the day the net result is the same: no living wage jobs for us, a crumbling quality of life, and the continued expliotation of the world for $.

Last edited by madicarus2000; 04-01-2008 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: off topic comments.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,652 times
Default I can't apologize for how I feel

I have watched these people silently invade my home. It is a fact that one third of America now speaks Spanish! Wake up! They are printing a foreign language on everything from food to adult diapers now. That is just plain wrong! It proves that the consumer goods companies believe they are here to stay. It is as if we are being occupied by invaders, but no one does anything about it. And all of those people who think that they are taking ONLY our crap jobs, they need to think again. Employers are replacing English speaking, hard working Americans in all sorts of jobs, just to cut their payrolls. These people are taking truck driving jobs, machinists jobs, secretarial jobs, and infiltrating all sorts of occupations. The fact that they don't speak English doesn't even matter anymore, as the employers are going out and replacing HR people only because they aren't bi-lingual. You heard me right! American companies are replacing hard working American people because they DON"T speak Spanish and so they can exploit the illegals for cheap labor. Before you know it, being bilingual will be a requirement for supervisory and HR positions. As you see, this goes much, much deeper than just working as migrant laborers or domestic help. If it doesn't stop soon, they will be so entrenched that we will never get them out of our country. Thier presence is strong now in nearly every state in the continental US. If you think that it is limited to California and the border states, you are sadly mistaken. Once they cross, they head right to the north, where there isn't as much scrutiny of your citizenshp status. Illegals who came before them, and are now established in one of OUR jobs, are putting them up in their homes. There is an Underground Rail Road of sorts for transporting and helpnig Illegals to occupy our country. US Immigration should do a door to door search of every home and every business in the nation. Send them back the first time, but the next time they show up here and their fingerprints match, they go straight to a hard labor camp for 25 to life. It isn't cruel, it is necessary! Otherwise, one of our next President's name is sure to be Jose. Hey! Believe it!

Last edited by kill.em.all; 03-11-2009 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: typo and grammerical corrections

Old 03-11-2009, 02:47 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
I love Arbys as much as the next guy, but this week I got a flyer with their coupons which gave equal space and print in hispanic.
I would expect this if 50% of their customers were non-english speaking latinos. We all know this isn't the case and they are blatantly pandering to hispanics.

I have a problem with any business which enables the behavior of hispanics who are too uneducated, arrogant or contemptuous of the US that they expect our society to change just for them.

When I see a business doing this, I stop giving them my patronage and urge other Americans to do the same. I also tell the management in person, and in writing. They pretend not to care, but when they lose their American customers they'll quickly change their policies to chomp at their almighty dollar.

Other examples I've seen are grocery stores, Walmarts, and auto parts stores. Please list others you know of here.

Keep America a place where Legal Immigrants strive to achieve their dreams and call home.

My father is a legal hispanic immigrant...please save racist comments for the far left.
Hispanic? When that became a language. I guess you meant Spanish. I am sure by now you stop buying products, items, meals in 90% of US companies. Like you stated, these companies are after the mighty dollar, and they will advertise in Spanish if they know they can get Hispanic $$. Sorry pal, but if you open a Spanish language newspaper with a large circulation like El Nuevo Herald (in Miami), you will find that all those flyers you find in English, are translated into Spanish too. I guess Midas, Kohl's, JCPenny, Ford, GM, Sprint, etc are no longer blessed with your monetary contributions. Bless your heart.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,220,591 times
"print in hispanic". [wow] thats all i got to say about that, ignorance knows no color

Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kill.em.all View Post
I have watched these people silently invade my home. It is a fact that one third of America now speaks Spanish! Wake up! They are printing a foreign language on everything from food to adult diapers now. That is just plain wrong! It proves that the consumer goods companies believe they are here to stay. It is as if we are being occupied by invaders, but no one does anything about it. And all of those people who think that they are taking ONLY our crap jobs, they need to think again. Employers are replacing English speaking, hard working Americans in all sorts of jobs, just to cut their payrolls. These people are taking truck driving jobs, machinists jobs, secretarial jobs, and infiltrating all sorts of occupations. The fact that they don't speak English doesn't even matter anymore, as the employers are going out and replacing HR people only because they aren't bi-lingual. You heard me right! American companies are replacing hard working American people because they DON"T speak Spanish and so they can exploit the illegals for cheap labor. Before you know it, being bilingual will be a requirement for supervisory and HR positions. As you see, this goes much, much deeper than just working as migrant laborers or domestic help. If it doesn't stop soon, they will be so entrenched that we will never get them out of our country. Thier presence is strong now in nearly every state in the continental US. If you think that it is limited to California and the border states, you are sadly mistaken. Once they cross, they head right to the north, where there isn't as much scrutiny of your citizenshp status. Illegals who came before them, and are now established in one of OUR jobs, are putting them up in their homes. There is an Underground Rail Road of sorts for transporting and helpnig Illegals to occupy our country. US Immigration should do a door to door search of every home and every business in the nation. Send them back the first time, but the next time they show up here and their fingerprints match, they go straight to a hard labor camp for 25 to life. It isn't cruel, it is necessary! Otherwise, one of our next President's name is sure to be Jose. Hey! Believe it!
LOL. Well my friend, yes, we are here to stay. We are taking your jobs, but we are earning them, not stealing them. We might be more prepare but only because you refuse to learn the language of the new US citizens. You do know that some of us are legally here right? You do know that in SOME US cities it is an advantage to be bilingual, so the good jobs go to those people, right? I don't blame you for being upset, I would too if I would see how my world is being destroyed by a wave of immigrants. But what I am trying to say is that instead of procrastinating so much, it would be OK for you to learn some Spanish and maybe that would give you an advantage competing for jobs. After all, when choosing the right person for a job, only the most qualified candidate is chosen. Whether is it Mr. Boone or Mr. Perez.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:18 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
LOL. Well my friend, yes, we are here to stay. We are taking your jobs, but we are earning them, not stealing them. We might be more prepare but only because you refuse to learn the language of the new US citizens. You do know that some of us are legally here right? You do know that in SOME US cities it is an advantage to be bilingual, so the good jobs go to those people, right? I don't blame you for being upset, I would too if I would see how my world is being destroyed by a wave of immigrants. But what I am trying to say is that instead of procrastinating so much, it would be OK for you to learn some Spanish and maybe that would give you an advantage competing for jobs. After all, when choosing the right person for a job, only the most qualified candidate is chosen. Whether is it Mr. Boone or Mr. Perez.
Sounds to me like you have a terminal case of arrogance to me. Feeling a little superior, huh? Just because you got here from Cuba & somehow got legal doesn't show me much. " My world being destroyed by a wave of immigrants" because you are "more prepare" must be a joke. right. I notice you still can't spell illegal, but, think ill ignore that for now. Your attitude is the best "example" of why I think they should stop all immigration (legal & illegal) for the next 10 years. Think every place should be like Miami ? Just when you started to make sense. oh well.

Last edited by jjwebbster; 03-11-2009 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: add a space

Old 03-11-2009, 04:45 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,220,591 times
Money knows no color and until you have some, you cant speak on the business practices of these different corporations, what a shocker theirs is money in the hispanic community!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration