Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:09 PM

334 posts, read 827,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I said nothing about these boycotts, personally, I have my doubts as to their effectiveness. I merely remarked that many illegals don't speak English nothing more, nothing less. That does not signify resentment or any other sort of emotion on my part other than my belief that people (and you should read that to mean ALL people--including those "poor" workers) need to take responsibility for their own actions. The failure to do so is a big part of what's wrong with this country.

If a person is going to make the adult decision to leave his homeland and illegally go to another country in flagrant and blatant violation of that country's laws, then they had better be adult enough to accept the consequences of that action, be they good or bad.

Corporate America, with its greed for slave labor, along with the elected officials who refuse to work the will of their constituency are indeed to blame for the illegal immigration debacle in this country, but the illegal aliens themselves are by no means exculpable.
Nobody hiring means no illegal immigration (for work, I've no doubt others come for different reasons, i.e. family, school, crime, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Yep, without illegal aliens, we ignorant Americans would just go to hell in a handbasket.....
See, you're starting to get it .

Old 03-27-2008, 05:05 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
sarcasm?go to dunkin donuts and see who the employees are.To make it worst go to walmart and see all the 60yr olds and over working.Meanwhile the young ones in this country don't want to do the dirty work,you know why?Because america has spoiled them and they don't need to work.Those are the useless body's in this country.
I beg to differ. I know many high school kids who would work if they could simply find a job. Lawn work is no longer an option as it was when I was a kid and many of the fast food places expect them to work long hours with no regard to their schooling. Personally, I'd rather my children did well in school and went on to college than attempting to work a minimum wage job to all hours and then failing in school.

There will always be a segment of Americans who don't want to go to college or who simply do not have the wherewithal to do so. What about them? They want to work. I know several guys in L.A. who are now homeless because illegal aliens have undercut the wage base in construction so severely, these guys can't even find work in the professions they've been in all of their lives.

Construction is not a job that Americans will not do.

Excuses are a dime a dozen and you folks who sympathize with illegal aliens and their agendas can continue to make them. Until the consequences of illegal immigration come knocking on your door, I seriously doubt you will ever be able to comprehend this issue from any other angle than the "oh those poor hard working people doing the jobs Americans won't do" crap that's being fed to you by the MSM and racist organizations like La Raza and their ilk.

Personally, I prefer to research the issues and format an informed opinion based in fact rather than have it given to me by those with an agenda to fulfill.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:36 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,385 times
It's easy to bypass Arby's their food leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:13 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times
Kele your examples are based on your personal experiences of "knowing HS kids" or "knowing homeless people that can't find work." How is that any more valid or accurate than my experiences of "I know plenty of people that just won't pick fruit at just about any pay" or "I can't find anyone willing to wash dishes for minimum wage." We can all find personal experiences that do not reflect what is actually happening. You claim you would rather research and format an informed opinion based in facts....yet you provide none of the research...please tell us where you are getting this unbiased and factual information to support your claims that there are Americans lined up to work minimum wage jobs picking fruit, washing dishes, cleaning toilets, etc.

What you are failing to realize is that across the country outsourcing of jobs to the lowest bidder has been happening for decades, and has been picking up speed as of late. It is not illegal aliens that are convincing companies to ship their jobs oversees to third world countries, it is greed, exploitation, and the bottom line. However with the availability of the low cost labor pool now at your door, small business owners are doing the same thing...except they don't have to ship their businesses oversees...the third world workers are right here....and therein lies the problem. It has less to do with illegal aliens, and more to do with the exploitation of cheap labor, whether it is in this country or around the globe.

The net effect is the same whether it is IBM closing shop and moving to India, or Arby's hiring immigrants to work minimum wage jobs, for little/no benefits. At the end of the day it is not the workers, it is the COMPANIES, BUSINESS OWNERS, CORPORATIONS that are exploiting human rights, abysmal wages, and killing the American quality of life to save a dollar. Those are the facts....but its far more easier and popular to assume illegal aliens are ruining your life...they are an easy target after all by everyone.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:16 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
If I were starving and had the choice between eating a rat or eating at Arby's, I'd look long and hard for a pot in which to cook the rat.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:16 AM

635 posts, read 1,746,695 times
I know legal Latino residents who have been here for more than ten years and don't speak alot of English. They have become U.S. citizens and have voted, and they aren't Brown Pride nazis. I find your post to be lacking credibility, because you can become a patriotic American as an immigrant and still not know a whole lot of English.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:44 AM

582 posts, read 2,038,841 times
Quote:
I beg to differ. I know many high school kids who would work if they could simply find a job. Lawn work is no longer an option as it was when I was a kid and many of the fast food places expect them to work long hours with no regard to their schooling. Personally, I'd rather my children did well in school and went on to college than attempting to work a minimum wage job to all hours and then failing in school.

There will always be a segment of Americans who don't want to go to college or who simply do not have the wherewithal to do so. What about them? They want to work. I know several guys in L.A. who are now homeless because illegal aliens have undercut the wage base in construction so severely, these guys can't even find work in the professions they've been in all of their lives.

Construction is not a job that Americans will not do.

Excuses are a dime a dozen and you folks who sympathize with illegal aliens and their agendas can continue to make them. Until the consequences of illegal immigration come knocking on your door, I seriously doubt you will ever be able to comprehend this issue from any other angle than the "oh those poor hard working people doing the jobs Americans won't do" crap that's being fed to you by the MSM and racist organizations like La Raza and their ilk.

Personally, I prefer to research the issues and format an informed opinion based in fact rather than have it given to me by those with an agenda to fulfill.
Very few in this country want to clean toilets,mop floors,bag groceries,fry burgers etc ...I mean we are talking about people that don't have any other option because they either dropped out or only have a high school diploma.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
If I were starving and had the choice between eating a rat or eating at Arby's, I'd look long and hard for a pot in which to cook the rat.
See, your problem is you've never really been hungry . . . .

Old 03-28-2008, 08:27 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
See, your problem is you've never really been hungry . . . .
I've certainly never been hungry enough to eat at Arby's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration