Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 17,007 times

Advertisements

By the way, I would like to offer the opinion that my post was not off-topic, as this thread was about boycotting Arby's, correct? I was offering my reasons for boycotting Arby's, in conjunction with/parallel to the other participants boycotting Arby's . Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 12:41 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,752,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Bgall you keep interchanging Hispanics/Immigrants/Illegals....they are not interchangeable and all 3 are different. Speaking spanish, being Hispanic, being an Immigrant, and being Illegal are all MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. If you have a problem wiht Illegal Aliens, state that....but you are interchanging Hispanic/Immigrants/And Illegals...and they have little to do with eachother.

Kele the inability to speak Spanish in a public field does not even remotely suggest the people are illegal. It does suggest that MANAGEMENT are only paying the bare minimum legal wage, and as many Hispanics are hungry to work, they will do so at just about any wage....and MANAGEMENT exploits this at YOUR expense and the American quality of life. It is the BUSINESS OWNERS that are causing the ills that you see, not the Hispanics you assume must be Illegal because you hear them speaking English to eachother or others.

Take it up with the BUSINESS OWNERS, CORPORATIONS, and MANAGEMENTS that exploits cheap labor at YOUR expense, no the people, who like you and me, are trying to survive and raise a family.
You are of course, aware that a working knowledge of the English language is a requirement for citizenship?

Additionally, at no time in my post did I say that the lack of ability to speak the English language pointed with certainty to illegal immigrant status. I said that the inability to understand and speak English might indicate ineligibilty to work in the U.S.--not that it was a positive indicator of illegality.

By the way, I do fault corporate America for enabling illegal immigration but that does not mean that I release those that are here illegally from personal responsibility for their illegal actions. To fault corporate America solely for illegal immigration signifies that illegal immigrants are a section of society which cannot be held responsible for their own actions.

Complete and total hogwash.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:56 PM

334 posts, read 828,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
You are of course, aware that a working knowledge of the English language is a requirement for citizenship?

Additionally, at no time in my post did I say that the lack of ability to speak the English language pointed with certainty to illegal immigrant status. I said that the inability to understand and speak English might indicate ineligibilty to work in the U.S.--not that it was a positive indicator of illegality.

By the way, I do fault corporate America for enabling illegal immigration but that does not mean that I release those that are here illegally from personal responsibility for their illegal actions. To fault corporate America solely for illegal immigration signifies that illegal immigrants are a section of society which cannot be held responsible for their own actions.

Complete and total hogwash.
So I get it, you all want to boycott companies that hire illegals. OK, makes sense. BUT I'm reading a lot of resentment about the people who you "believe" are illegal. Why vent your frustrations on them?? They are not the problem, it is the System in the US that creates the opportunity and motivation for them to come here to work. Why not do something useful and attack those responsible, i.e. the legislators who do not provide adequate laws, the legal system that works to circumvent whatever laws there are, the employers who hire the illegal, people who make fake IDs / hell, even go after the coyotes who smuggle them into the US, but leave the poor workers alone . . . .

Old 03-27-2008, 01:24 PM

582 posts, read 2,039,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
So I get it, you all want to boycott companies that hire illegals. OK, makes sense. BUT I'm reading a lot of resentment about the people who you "believe" are illegal. Why vent your frustrations on them?? They are not the problem, it is the System in the US that creates the opportunity and motivation for them to come here to work. Why not do something useful and attack those responsible, i.e. the legislators who do not provide adequate laws, the legal system that works to circumvent whatever laws there are, the employers who hire the illegal, people who make fake IDs / hell, even go after the coyotes who smuggle them into the US, but leave the poor workers alone . . . .
good point....those people are also doing jobs that americans don't want to do. they would rather sit at home with a bag of potatoe chips and watch jerry springer and complain how there are no jobs.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
I said nothing about these boycotts, personally, I have my doubts as to their effectiveness. I merely remarked that many illegals don't speak English nothing more, nothing less. That does not signify resentment or any other sort of emotion on my part other than my belief that people (and you should read that to mean ALL people--including those "poor" workers) need to take responsibility for their own actions. The failure to do so is a big part of what's wrong with this country.

If a person is going to make the adult decision to leave his homeland and illegally go to another country in flagrant and blatant violation of that country's laws, then they had better be adult enough to accept the consequences of that action, be they good or bad.

Corporate America, with its greed for slave labor, along with the elected officials who refuse to work the will of their constituency are indeed to blame for the illegal immigration debacle in this country, but the illegal aliens themselves are by no means exculpable.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
good point....those people are also doing jobs that americans don't want to do. they would rather sit at home with a bag of potatoe chips and watch jerry springer and complain how there are no jobs.
Right....there are no Americans who would work in construction, hospitality, production or other types of plant work. Americans are by their very nature illiterate (potatoe?) and lazy. Illegal immigrants have been doing all of the construction work, the plant and production work, and all of the hotel and restaurant work in the U.S. since the end of the last ice age. As a matter of fact, I have it on good authority that the Clovis peoples and the Folsom peoples were all illegal aliens. They flintknapped the projectile points that Americans wouldn't flintknapp.

Everybody knows that no American ever built any sort of infrastructure, home, or even an outhouse for that matter. No American has ever plucked a chicken, driven a forklift, waited tables, cleaned a hotel room, or mowed a yard. Illegal aliens are the only people on earth who can or will do those jobs because no self-respecting American could be bothered to get up off of the couch for $15 an hour.

Yep, without illegal aliens, we ignorant Americans would just go to hell in a handbasket.....

Old 03-27-2008, 01:51 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallag View Post
I think, to a certain extent, we should require Spanish as a language in all the schools, both public and private, as well as requiring ESL for all schools as well. I took Spanish and I am going to sign up again for conversational Spanish because in this day and age, you sort of need it. But, illegals need to do the same. Maybe local organizations can offer free English classes or something. I've often thought that it would be wise for major employers, like Wendy's, McDonald's, Arby's, whatever, to offer free ESL classes. I would think that would increase business and decrease hesitancy about going there simply because of the language barrier.
No real need to mandate Spanish instruction here; outside of Latin America/Spain, that tongue is not widely spoken.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:53 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Right....there are no Americans who would work in construction, hospitality, production or other types of plant work. Americans are by their very nature illiterate (potatoe?) and lazy. Illegal immigrants have been doing all of the construction work, the plant and production work, and all of the hotel and restaurant work in the U.S. since the end of the last ice age. As a matter of fact, I have it on good authority that the Clovis peoples and the Folsom peoples were all illegal aliens. They flintknapped the projectile points that Americans wouldn't flintknapp.

Everybody knows that no American ever built any sort of infrastructure, home, or even an outhouse for that matter. No American has ever plucked a chicken, driven a forklift, waited tables, cleaned a hotel room, or mowed a yard. Illegal aliens are the only people on earth who can or will do those jobs because no self-respecting American could be bothered to get up off of the couch for $15 an hour.

Yep, without illegal aliens, we ignorant Americans would just go to hell in a handbasket.....
Yeppers: following your sarcasm; why is most of the rest of the world even more 'inept'?

Old 03-27-2008, 02:45 PM

582 posts, read 2,039,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yeppers: following your sarcasm; why is most of the rest of the world even more 'inept'?
sarcasm?go to dunkin donuts and see who the employees are.To make it worst go to walmart and see all the 60yr olds and over working.Meanwhile the young ones in this country don't want to do the dirty work,you know why?Because america has spoiled them and they don't need to work.Those are the useless body's in this country.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:06 PM

334 posts, read 828,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
Yes, but what positive, role model type television!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration