Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do if this was your family situation
I am against illegal immigration and I am against this marriage! 13 65.00%
I am for illegal immigration and I wish them the best! 1 5.00%
I am against illegal immigration, but I will respect their wishes. 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:20 AM

63,005 posts, read 29,194,251 times

Advertisements

Since it was brought up here is a rebuttal:

Most Illegal Immigrant Families Collect Welfare | Judicial Watch

http://heartland.org/policy-document...s-ethnic-group

Old 04-06-2014, 01:06 PM

161 posts, read 172,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Judicial watch is a CONSERVATIVE group, that's like me getting something from MSNBC and saying hey look at this! It must be true! Get something from politifact and then we will talk.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:09 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,850,910 times
I always like when supposed unbiased data presentation is followed up with what the author thinks is the cause:

Quote:
The higher rates of welfare receipt among blacks and Hispanics are largely the result of the erosion of marriage among those groups. In 1998, 69.1 percent of black children were born outside of wedlock. Among Hispanics the number was 41.6 percent, while among non-Hispanic whites the number was 21.9 percent.

Or announce that Michelle Malkin will be the keynote speaker at their anniversary convention...

I offered baseline data because another member is providing a recommendation of visa fraud (entry on a "tourist" visa to marry) for the couple in this scenario. This member makes other statements on this topic to how illegal aliens "cheat thousands of people" from immigrating. defining it as "fraud". The problem is that he is saying that those "thousands of people" are using for "tourist" visas over and over until they are able to permanently immigrate to the United States (visa fraud, but he is representing it as the correct way to immigrate).

If you are going to say you are against illegal immigration, please don't suggest that visa fraud is your alternative...

Old 04-06-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Within two sentences you have captured a very critical aspect that is prevalent on this forum area. For her blog, "Emi" has been brought up on the forum more than once, living with her husband Ray, a former illegal alien, in Ciudad Juarez waiting out a ten-year ban. But it doesn't matter to many members on this forum that Ray is going through the steps to eventually come back to the United States legally.

They don't want him here again (in fact when something like this is discussed, they say "EVER!"). No fine, penalty, or remedy is enough, Ray (and others like him that try to rectify what they have done at one point in their lives) will NEVER be accepted by them. I will add to your statement to say that hate is also a very powerful thing.

How deep does that hate go? A former member, knowing of my veteran status, claimed here on the open forum that she had accessed my financial records from her employment with the VA. From that, she said that she had learned my family was "illegals", and that we lived "hand-to-mouth".

Sure, it's false, and it's an Internet forum, but I was struck that she felt so much in her element here (especially with her employment, in a government agency dedicated to being responsive to veterans) to announce it. So much for claiming to take some moral high road, I'm a U.S. citizen with a 22-year military career, and have a family of legal immigrants. Of course that doesn't matter here either.

There's still a comment by another member here, saying that taxpayers are paying for "everyone I want to bring here", that I am not honoring my sponsorship requirements. Recently he said that I wasn't concerned about any deaths of Border Patrol agents by the hand of my "precious illegals". If such nasty behavior is done against a U.S. citizen that is a military veteran, with a legal immigrant family, what does a former illegal alien trying to make it right have going for him here?

Wow, happenstance that "Where Is The Love" just started playing on Pandora here, but I guess that is expected for my "Black Eyed Peas Radio"...
Hey, thanks. I appreciate your kind words . I do think people need to be nicer here instead of treating this forum as some sort therapy session for their inward hate and anger that they have for others.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
...I do think people need to be nicer here instead of treating this forum as some sort therapy session for their inward hate and anger that they have for others.
Or not respond to the scenario you have offered by saying they are against illegal immigration, but offering up visa fraud as the correct way to do things...

Old 04-06-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Or not respond to the scenario you have offered by saying they are against illegal immigration, but offering up visa fraud as the correct way to do things...
Speaking of scenario, did you vote? I tried to PM you but i couldn't.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
I advise against it. I make sure they knew that Illegal means the person could be deported and they would have to deal with that.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I advise against it. I make sure they knew that Illegal means the person could be deported and they would have to deal with that.
But see, that's not so bad. You are just making sure that they know that if they get into a relationship that it may get difficult later on and there is nothing wrong with that. Unlike some people here that make me feel that they would basically disown their son or daughter for doing so.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Speaking of scenario, did you vote? I tried to PM you but i couldn't.
I didn't vote (you can actually create a poll that shows how members voted) because I don't try to define legitimate relationships by immigration status. The couple in your scenario will commonly find themselves in the same position I did: Thinking that a marriage will provide a relatively quick way for their spouse to be able to live with them in the United States. Many times that isn't true.

I have PMs turned off, it cuts down on the weird responses like characterizing me as suffering from a type of "Stockholm Syndrome" with my wife in the role of a "kidnapper"...

Old 04-06-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I didn't vote (you can actually create a poll that shows how members voted) because I don't try to define legitimate relationships by immigration status. The couple in your scenario will commonly find themselves in the same position I did: Thinking that a marriage will provide a relatively quick way for their spouse to be able to live with them in the United States. Many times that isn't true.

I have PMs turned off, it cuts down on the weird responses like characterizing me as suffering from a type of "Stockholm Syndrome" with my wife in the role of a "kidnapper"...

I got the first part, but the second part..? What are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration