Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should be done about illegal immigrants?
All illegal immigrants should be deported. 73 76.04%
Only some illegal immigrants, such as criminals and drug dealers, should be deported. 23 23.96%
No illegal immigrants should be deported. 0 0%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 01:33 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"My preferred idea is to see any illegals who have committed any crime (outside of illegal entry)"

Just by being here day after day they are breaking laws.

How do they make a living?

If they find any kind of work they are required to pay Social Security.

By bring ILLEGAL they do NOT have legal SS cards.

ANY application they fill out they have to lie about their status.
I get your indignation and feel much of it myself. But had you spent a bit more time reading my post and less time formulatiing your response you might have picked up where I said that after sifting through the lot we can offer them temporary work visas. That doesn't automatically make them citizens. They can pay local and state taxes under temp visas but not pay into SS until they are legally able to actually collect SS. It's a start.

Just spitballing ideas here. A solution is needed and compromise will be the fastest way to it. Give those already here who pass the initial means tests (no criminal record, no welfare fraud, etc) an opportunity to actually prove their ability to live independently and off the gov't teat and after 18 months, re-evaluate. If your idea is to just ship everyone out I really wouldn't take exception to that, either. I do believe though that compromise will be what gets the job done faster.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:35 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
That would be all fine in a cut and dry world. But since the world doesn't work that way let's get off our unicorns and find something that will work.

How about any illegal alien with no criminal record can be gifted a visa if they register, and pay reparations for the services they took illegally. Only after they have paid their bills (education, health, welfare, taxes) can they apply for citizenship. Those who refuse to register have no intention of becoming a viable citizen, and must be deported with NO ROUTE to becoming a citizen.

Considering this place turns uber-liberal on the weekends... I am shocked that nobody has chosen the third option. Of course that will change, but still.

WHAT? How did you come to that conclusion? There may be as many as 1M criminal aliens who have been cut loose. 20,000 were released in just a month in CA.

Nothing wrong with self-deportation. They can go back and start over the right way if they really want to come back.

I'm certainly happy that there's a chance at righting our mistakes, finally!

For those of you defending the aliens who serve in our military:

What brought down the Roman Empire?

Get back to us on that one.
"How about any illegal alien with no criminal record can be gifted a visa if they register, and pay reparations for the services they took illegally"

And how do you expect them to pay for all of this?

Old 11-19-2016, 01:39 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Yes and their children born while they are/were illegal.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:42 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, only a small percentage served in the military, I doubt several hundreds of them can bring down the Roman Empire.

The bottom line is this, stop allowing illegals serving in the military. Problem solved. Plus, they are downsizing the military anyway, give the opportunities to American citizens.

But for those who have already served, one honorable discharge = one citizenship. Seems fair to me.
"Well, only a small percentage served in the military,"

It has only been 2 years since Obama signed, no surprise here, to started to allow illegals to serve so I agree there are probably not that many.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:48 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"How about any illegal alien with no criminal record can be gifted a visa if they register, and pay reparations for the services they took illegally"

And how do you expect them to pay for all of this?
If they are here as productive working members of this country, why wouldn't they?

If they're here to freeload and rape us, buhbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, only a small percentage served in the military, I doubt several hundreds of them can bring down the Roman Empire.

The bottom line is this, stop allowing illegals serving in the military. Problem solved. Plus, they are downsizing the military anyway, give the opportunities to American citizens.

But for those who have already served, one honorable discharge = one citizenship. Seems fair to me.
You're preaching to the choir Lily... but, I'm sure you know that. You and I usually align fairly closely.

...and you're one smart cookie to be the first to throw out the historical fact that I threw a crumb out on.

I think you should do a little more research on our military. It's more like 10-20% of foreign conscripts filling our military ranks. THAT is enough to do some damage, whether physically, tactically and/or deceptively.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:55 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Only the felons.

The rest need to be put on a path to legal residency.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:13 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
It is amazing how we have to repeat this thread every month.

It still goes nowhere. Ryan has made it clear there will be no large increase in immigration enforcement. And even if Trump cheats the best he can do is about 400,000 per month with existing funding. That will net less than 150,000 a year in reduction of illegal immigrants. So basically we wait 50 years until they die of old age.

And the majority of illegal aliens are not criminals. Children are not nor are visa over-stayers. They are deport-able but have committed no crime.

Practically we need to legalize until we have a number that is manageable. And then we need to do it...a task that will remain in doubt until it happens.

We are not going to change birth right citizenship. It is hopelessly impractical. We are not going to make eVerify very tough...the Chambers of Commerce will easily beat any attempt to do so.

So what we will likely actually do is continue the absurd situation we are now in for Trump's term. Then we see.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:13 PM

800 posts, read 508,726 times
At a former job I worked with a Mexican man(not a very "integrated" one, probably an illegal) who put in a lot of overtime. He worked about 65 hours a week. He appeared to live VERY frugal, had a cheap car, cheap clothes etc. He saved up ALL his time off for a long trip to Mexico every year to visit his family and spend all his money down there. He probably owns half a small city down there.

Even though many people would commend him for spreading his money to his family, what he's doing really isn't a good thing for the American economy. It would be FAR better to have somebody in the job who circulated their money within the US.

On a side note, in addition to funneling his money out of the US the guy had lousy English and yet he still managed to be a jerk and say rude things to us at work. A great candidate to be deported, and have part of his savings and assets seized and returned to the US.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:14 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
I see most are voting for the deportation of all illegal immigrants.

One serious question. D. Trump has said that the way he'll get Mexico to pay for the wall was by charging a surtax on all the money illegal aliens send back to Mexico. If he deports all of them then there's nobody to pay for Trump's wall. What's he going to do then? Make American citizens pay for the wall when they send money to Mexico? That would be blatantly unconstitutional to single out a certain group with an effective tax and not apply it to all citizens.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:19 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
If they are here as productive working members of this country, why wouldn't they?

If they're here to freeload and rape us, buhbye!

You're preaching to the choir Lily... but, I'm sure you know that. You and I usually align fairly closely.

...and you're one smart cookie to be the first to throw out the historical fact that I threw a crumb out on.

I think you should do a little more research on our military. It's more like 10-20% of foreign conscripts filling our military ranks. THAT is enough to do some damage, whether physically, tactically and/or deceptively.
steven, I respect your opinion, you know that. and yes, I do agree with you, most of the time.

But this one, well, yes, I promise I will do some research. I personally don't know any illegals serving in the Marine Corps, I feel if they are honorably discharged, maybe they really do deserve a citizenship.

I don't know.. What do you think?

I don't know how many times I heard legal immigrants say the following, "If there is war between the U.S. and (insert a country here), I would send my son back to my home country." They are American citizens? come on.. If the illegals fought bravely for the country, I feel they've earned their right to be here. That is just my opinion anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.