Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should be done about illegal immigrants?
All illegal immigrants should be deported. 73 76.04%
Only some illegal immigrants, such as criminals and drug dealers, should be deported. 23 23.96%
No illegal immigrants should be deported. 0 0%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 05:01 PM

63,141 posts, read 29,323,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I'm not against enforcing them, but we should consider what it's going to take to do so. The criminals are easy; they're already in custody. But how many man-hours are we going to spend to look for an illegal immigrant that we may or may not catch? At what point does it cost more to chase that person down than that person would cost this country by living here illegally?

You must have a reading comprehension problem. I stated that we need to remove all of the incentives for them to remain here and they'll leave on their own. What are the costs involved with that? Any that remain we should deport as they are detected. I said nothing about chasing anyone down. Besides, illegal aliens cost us $113 billion a year even Homeland Security has said it is cheaper to deport them.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:02 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,943,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
In my opinion all should be. If you've processed through the system and are legal, great. But I think illegal immigrants, even if they are hard workers, are stealing money away from legal citizens. Many send their money to families in their home countries, thus hurting our economy.
Agreed.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:11 PM

63,141 posts, read 29,323,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Well, I think your plan is actually preferable. The problem is implementation. As I've already said a couple times, I think compromise will be necessary in order to effect change. Which is why I propose immediate tossing of all offenders and welfare fraudsters, and then give others an 18 month plan. That will separate the honest folk from the mooches and trim down processing for citizenship even more.

Honest folk? Surely you jest. Not a one of them are honest they live a life of lies here. I will ask again by allowing any of them to remain here how will Americans get those jobs back such as construction, landscaping and numerous other blue-collared jobs that were stolen from them? None of them deserve to remain here. It's a slap in the face to immigrants who did it the right way and the right way does not begin on our soil it begins in their homelands.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:14 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,025,358 times
They should all be deported. Illegal means they're breaking the law.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:21 PM

15,665 posts, read 10,445,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why do you want to give those who thumbed their noses at our immigration laws a path to citizenship? Americans need their jobs back and many if not most illegals have committed felony ID theft or worked for cash evading taxes and those are felonies.
Many Mexicans have been in America for decades and those are the people I was speaking of that should be able to become citizens. They have raised their families, been law abiding, and contributed to the economy.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:25 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,271,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm not sure how or why the U.S. government allowed so many millions of illegal immigrants to stay in this country for so many years in the first place.

But do you think that it is politically viable to deport all illegal immigrants from the U.S.? Why or why not?
Yes. Eisenhower did it.

All it takes is a person with big clanking ones to order it done.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:32 PM

15,079 posts, read 10,155,452 times
In a ideal situation, they shouldn't be here to begin with... but it is too late.

I think we should first make an effort to curtail illegal immigration while promoting legal immigration. No point in deportation and all the costs associated with it if the borders are still open to illegals.

I believe that we should increase efforts to remove all incentives for the illegal immigration. This includes anchor babies, incentives in the form of education, and all tax payer funded services. No driver's licenses.

Any criminal activity would result in that individual's deportation.

Legally prosecute employers of illegal immigrants. This is important. No jobs.. no incentive.

Once the borders are secure and incentives are removed then and only then would I would entertain the idea of amnesty for existing families here in the US. The requirements would be high;no criminal record, paying taxes, educated, children of certain age who only know US as their home, contributing to society, employable...

Military service would be considered a short path towards citizenship.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:33 PM

8,954 posts, read 11,826,580 times
It's just not feasible and too expensive to try to deport everyone who is here illegally. Here is my proposal:

1. Change the law and do away with automatic citizenship. Without this incentive people won't be so quick to come and produce so many anchor babies.

2. Tighten border control. No physical wall is needed to do this, as we have drones and thermal imaging technologies that can cover hundred of miles day or night. The cost will be minimal and no new legislation is needed, as the President has the power to order law enforcement agencies to enforce the laws. The way to do this is to require new law enforcement and military recruits to do one year of border patrol duties after they graduate from the academies or military training. This simple solution will cost the taxpayers next to nothing and will produce results.

3. It has to be made into law that it is the responsibility of Federal Government to enforce immigration laws regardless of who is in charge. If don't they enforce the law, states or individuals can sue them.

Yes, we will certainly have to deport known criminals. But deporting everyone is not good politically. And no President is going to be able to do it. Listen I am all for deportation and stuff, but let's be realistic here.

If you asked me for $10 and I say you can only have $5. Would you insist on $10 and go home with nothing? Or would you take $5 and go home with something? That is the situation here folks. My solution will reduce illegal immigration overtime permanently. Deporting illegals without fixing the laws that make it easy for them to get here in the first place won't solve anything in the long term.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:39 PM

1,008 posts, read 489,226 times
if you're just minding your own business and generally contributing, no. A fine and being put on some kind of list to keep you from cutting ahead of people waiting to legally immigrate is sufficient IMO.

Convicted gang-members, drug dealers, sexual abusers, etc can GTFO.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:42 PM

1,008 posts, read 489,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You must have a reading comprehension problem. I stated that we need to remove all of the incentives for them to remain here and they'll leave on their own. What are the costs involved with that? Any that remain we should deport as they are detected. I said nothing about chasing anyone down. Besides, illegal aliens cost us $113 billion a year even Homeland Security has said it is cheaper to deport them.
I used to work with some illegal immigrants from Peru when I was young. None of them planned on staying in the US.

They were sending $ back home to support their family and have "big American houses" built back home. Once they saved up enough off they'd go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration