Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 07:21 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,226,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
I agree. I am "Latino". Half of my nieces and nephews have brown hair and brown eyes. Light skinned (not indian tan). Then the other have blonde, with blue and gray eyes! All they all have HISPANIC PARENTS! So as far as Latinos are concerned, we are not a race. There are several races in Latin America. Just like Here. That can be said of the entire "New World".
You are correct.

There is no Hispanic race.

Most of the self described Latinos in the USA are actually Mestizo.

Why the above use the word 'Hispanic' is due in part to the White supremacy of Hispanic culture--------the standard of beauty is white skin and blue eyes.

Take a look at a telenovela; the leading roles are almost always played by Mexicans of German, English, German, Castilian Spanish, etc. heritage AKA Whites. OTOH: the 'hired help' are usually depicted by the stereotypical brown Latinos.

If I were a Mestizo; I would be both hurt and very offended by the racism in my culture way more than what a bunch of 'gabachos' may think.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
It says "HISPANIC ORIGIN"...not hispanic the race. Geezzee. Latino/Hispanic is where you are a far a geographical location. Latino comes form Latin, which is where spanish originated. Italian, French, Spanish, Romanian are all LATIN lanuages. So technically, Italians are LATIN too.
Note though that many people of Italian heritage tend to look down on Hispanics------and, resent being lumped in with 'em.

A co-worker of mine; who is half Italian and half Puerto Rican is rather prejudiced against the PR side of his family-------to the point that he adopted the Italian surname of his maternal grandfather.

Which brings to mind another sad incident: some years ago I referred to a woman of full Portuguese heritage as 'Hispanic'--------I meant no offence. She looked at me and stated: 'Bear, I am White, not Hispanic!'----and, her surname was Santos.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
It says "HISPANIC ORIGIN"...not hispanic the race. Geezzee. Latino/Hispanic is where you are a far a geographical location. Latino comes form Latin, which is where spanish originated. Italian, French, Spanish, Portugese, Romanian are all LATIN. So technically, Italians are LATIN too.
Yeppers; you are correct.

I took both French and Latin back in school------both are definitely Romance languages.

And; as a side note, two other 'Spanish' languages are Catalon (Romance tongue) and the Basque one------which is closer to either Gaelic or possibly Hungarian.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:41 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,144,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yeppers; you are correct.

I took both French and Latin back in school------both are definitely Romance languages.

And; as a side note, two other 'Spanish' languages are Catalon (Romance tongue) and the Basque one------which is closer to either Gaelic or possibly Hungarian.
I thought Hungarian was based off German?

Old 04-10-2008, 04:45 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,716,282 times
Spanish is definately not a Romance language. It sounds angry, agressive, and disorganized...definately anything but a beautiful language.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Spanish is definately not a Romance language. It sounds angry, agressive, and disorganized...definately anything but a beautiful language.
Ah, classical Xenophobe.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Ah, classical Xenophobe.
No. You cant even support your views, so you just call everyone ignorant and racist instead.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:07 PM

This thread is so dumb. I mean, look at the title, its just stupid.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
No. You cant even support your views, so you just call everyone ignorant and racist instead.
Where have I called anyone racist and ignorant for their immigration views?

Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Where have I called anyone racist and ignorant for their immigration views?
"Ahh classical Xenophobe" as a response to my legitimate statement. Thats pretty racist to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration