Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 03:21 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,143,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well I don't happen to want to be like an Indian -- yes the British came and pushed the Indians out West and you're right, that's exactly what the Mexican nationals intend to do to us. They come right out and say that the gringos must go and they want some kind of pure Mexican nation formed from the USA.

You brought up a good point -- the American Indian is a perfect example of what happens to a people that fails to enforce their borders or enforce immigration laws or have them. Allowing invaders to pour over your border and fail to stop them until it's too late gets you the fate of the Indian.

Same exact thing happened in Mexico, but the spaniards were set out to conquer in the first place.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:34 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,986,622 times
Pyramids north of Mexico City going 1/2 way to Queretaro is called TULA, (have been there).Chichin Itza in Yucatan... never been there. Cabo san Lucas, been there about 10 times,Pt Vallarita same number of times, also Mazatlan and La Paz similar times. No big deal. All are okay as to being TOURISTS HAVEN. We need to talk about the underground cavern in GUERRERO with its staglites, The church in Taxco with its many alters,Cuernavaca (the city of eternal spring),Xochimilco with its shallow water lake and boat venders selling flowers and tacos etc from the boats,how about the visible appearence of the aftermath of a Meteor hitting Mexico centurys ago that is not advertised to tourists. That is the internal beauty of Mexico. I have seen all of it. Stefhen

Old 04-12-2008, 04:00 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,223,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well I don't happen to want to be like an Indian -- yes the British came and pushed the Indians out West and you're right, that's exactly what the Mexican nationals intend to do to us. They come right out and say that the gringos must go and they want some kind of pure Mexican nation formed from the USA.

You brought up a good point -- the American Indian is a perfect example of what happens to a people that fails to enforce their borders or enforce immigration laws or have them. Allowing invaders to pour over your border and fail to stop them until it's too late gets you the fate of the Indian.
Very true------and; the illegal immigrant menace is, if anything, is shattering many of the traditional racial/ethnic divisions between Americans here in the USA.

We are closing ranks.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:53 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,952,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homie01 View Post
Everything in your post was just crazy. White Americans are already the minority? LOL! Whites control 75% of the world’s wealth, economy, media relations, and military power. I'm referring to ethnic group population in America.

The American govt is corrupt, why? Greed! Politicians can spend tons of tax payer money on wars on foreign wars outside this continent for personal material gains, but nothing to aid the issue right in our very own backyard. With a Mexican president, there would be less corruption. A Mexican president hasn't even been given a chance in America yet!
yea, a mexican president is doing such a great job in mexico, and there is no corruption at all! .

Old 04-12-2008, 10:46 PM

938 posts, read 4,102,788 times
They can barely run their own country, why should we let them run our's?

Old 09-13-2008, 03:56 PM

3,275 posts, read 5,214,418 times
Just read through this thread in its entirety, I am confounded by the complete ignorance here. But it is to be expected when you try to use colors(white and black), nationalities(Mexican, American), and Ethnicities interchangeably. That is the source of all "Race" classification confusion.

First of all, White and Black are colors. So for all intents and purposes, they mean nothing. Next, "Race" as a scientific concept hasn't made sense since the early 19th century, so for all intents and purposes, it means nothing as well. Ethnicity is the only thing that even remotely makes any sense when defining a population. So I will use that throughout this post. Leading me to state that....:

Nationality != Ethnicity. Not even close. Within Nigeria for example, there are dozens of different Ethnicities. They may all be Nigerian, but that is their nationality and not their Ethnicity. Mexican is a nationality, not an Ethnicity.

European, African, Asian, North American are all geographic distinctions. Being an African does not necessarily place you in the same ethnicity as anyone in on the African continent. So not all Africans are the same ethnicity, not all Europeans, not all Asians, etc.

Hispanic, is another beast entirely. It's seemed to come to denote a "Race"(which, remember people, doesn't exist) in a lot of people's minds for some reason. But it is a geographic term like African, European, and Asian. It describes people from the area of Central and South America. And in no way is related at all to language. Brazilians speak a different language and are still called "Hispanics" because they come from the same geographic location. But remember, "Hispanic" is NO ONE'S ethnicity.

Latin is a language distinction, it describes all people who speak a Latin based Romance language. This includes French, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, and Romanian. English is a Germanic language, for perspective.

Native American is not an ethnicity either, it is a term that denotes all people who were indigenous to the American continents BEFORE the arrival of Europeans settlers.

Now that our TERMS are clarified, we can attack the issue.

A person born in Latin America can be a mix of any indigenous ethnicity, any of the dozens of ethnicities on the European continent, or any of the hundreds of ethnicities of Western Africa.

Trouble is, very few people know exactly which ethnicity or mix of ethnicities they are. Thus they refer to themselves by their nationality, or, if they are idiots, their "Race".(Which, what kids? Does not exist! You're learning!"

So, in the nation of Mexico, there's a lot of different ethnicites, thousands of mixes, and no races.

Hope someone's learned something!

Last edited by Hoarfrost; 09-13-2008 at 05:24 PM..

Old 09-13-2008, 04:46 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,587,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Just read through this thread in its entirety, I am confounded by the complete ignorance here. But it is to be expected when you try to use colors(white and black), nationalities(Mexican, American), and Ethnicities interchangeably. That is the source of all "Race" classification confusion.

First of all, White and Black are colors. So for all intents and purposes, they mean nothing. Next, "Race" as a scientific concept hasn't made sense since the early 19th century, so for all intents and purposes, it means nothing as well. Ethnicity is the only thing that even remotely makes any sense when defining a population. So I will use that throughout this post. Leading me to state that....:

Nationality != Ethnicity. Not even close. Within Nigeria for example, there are dozens of different Ethnicities. They may all be Nigerian, but that is their nationality and not their Ethnicity. Mexican is a nationality, not an Ethnicity.

European, African, Asian, North American are all geographic distinctions. Being an African does not necessarily place you in the same ethnicity as anyone in on the African continent. So not all Africans are the same ethnicity, not all Europeans, not all Asians, etc.

Hispanic, is another beat entirely. It's seemed to come to denote a "Race"(which, remember people, doesn't exist) in a lot of people's minds for some reason. But it is a geographic term like African, European, and Asian. It describes people from the area of Central and South America. And in no way is related at all to language. Brazilians speak a different language and are still called "Hispanics" because they come from the same geographic location. But remember, "Hispanic" is NO ONE'S ethnicity.

Latin is a language distinction, it describes all people who speak a Latin based Romance language. This includes French, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, and Romanian. English is a Germanic language, for perspective.

Native American is not an ethnicity either, it is a term that denotes all people who were indigenous to the American continents BEFORE the arrival of Europeans settlers.

Now that our TERMS are clarified, we can attack the issue.

A person born in Latin America can be a mix of any indigenous ethnicity, any of the dozens of ethnicities on the European continent, or any of the hundreds of ethnicities of Western Africa.

Trouble is, very few people know exactly which ethnicity or mix of ethnicities they are. Thus they refer to themselves by their nationality, or, if they are idiots, their "Race".(Which, what kids? Does not exist! You're learning!"

So, in the nation of Mexico, there's a lot of different ethnicites, thousands of mixes, and no races.

Hope someone's learned something!
OK, I'm TRYING to get it....bear with me. The other day I met a guy who I BELIEVE was from Maryland..or MAYBE Delaware. I assumed that made him a "Middle Easterner", reasoning that those states were (from my vantage point here in California), right in the "middle of the east".

Now you're telling me I'm mistaken?...hmmmm. What about Central Americans? (Honduras, or Kansas?)...Indians? Native Alaskans? DO TELL...

Old 09-13-2008, 05:23 PM

3,275 posts, read 5,214,418 times
That makes him a Middle Easterner with regard to geography, CERTAINLY not with regard to ethnicity. He's geographically from the ME, but ethnicity wise, he could be Kurdish, Armenian, Assyrian, Gypsy, etc.

I'm not saying that using that distinction is wrong. I'm saying that using it interchangeably with ethnicity and culture is not good.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:27 PM

164 posts, read 260,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homie01 View Post
A decade ago, the very thought of minority in power running for president seem like something in the distant future. However, anything is possible if anyone is committed to lead and that society can support a minority without racial biased. Obama is proof that it's NOT a "White man keeping us down" mentality but that a minority can run for president without much fear. And that change come from all Americans of any races.

What I would like to see is a American-born Mexican (or Chicano/Chicanca) running for president of the U.S. I believe a better relation with Mexico and U.S would help the border issue and soon Mexico will become a better well-developed country to the point people wouldn't need to cross to the U.S for a better opportunity. A Mexican can truly address that in his or her position. What's more - Mexicans are the biggest minority in America who contribute heavily to the economy and it's crucial we need a president who share the "Mexican" experience. As White Americans will become a minority 50-100 years from now, Mexicans will become the dominant race in this country - and I KNOW that a Mexican will lead the U.S sooner or later. Border-issue, illegal immigrants, slave labor, bilingual education, and cultural issues will be resolve in the future. This I KNOW - Mexicans will someday become a majority in America.

It's a darn shame when our current leaders focus so much on foreign issues and policies yet when right in OUR OWN backyard, these politicians are morons who think they know so much about Mexicans. They are OUTSIDERS who know jack about their culture. A real Mexico-America relation will begin soon.

Don't be mad at this because it's true!
I love the idea and would vote for anyone Mexican American who ran for office.
WE need to unify the America's

Old 09-13-2008, 05:30 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,491,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca.G View Post
I love the idea and would vote for anyone Mexican American who ran for office.
WE need to unify the America's
.........so that Mexico can leech off the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration