Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 05:03 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,766,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Nah, just us white trash, redneck, trailer park living, clingin' to our God and our guns, low down, dirty, sheet wearin' racists get that kinda poor-tray-yal ....
Whites and Asians have not been given negative portrayals as criminals as much as Latinos and Blacks.

You can't spin that.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:13 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,241,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Whites and Asians have not been given negative portrayals as criminals as much as Latinos and Blacks.

You can't spin that.
And the Irish prior to WW II had as bad; if not a worse reputation than either of the above listed groups----------never mind that many 'Irish' people are blue eyed blonds.

'Something' changed in Irish Catholic culture to the point whenever I think of an Irishman today; the harp (symbolizing peace and happiness) comes to mind------------not the logo of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

Our American Blacks are at or just beyond the 'tipping point' of full societal acceptance as we speak. I have seen the dramatic changes in just the last 25 years.

As for stereotypical Hispanics: yes; their reputation as a group is declining courtesy of the illegals--------most of whom are usually Mestizos/Indians from either Mexico or Central America.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And the Irish prior to WW II had as bad; if not a worse reputation than either of the above listed groups----------never mind that many 'Irish' people are blue eyed blonds.

'Something' changed in Irish Catholic culture to the point whenever I think of an Irishman today; the harp (symbolizing peace and happiness) comes to mind------------not the logo of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

Our American Blacks are at or just beyond the 'tipping point' of full societal acceptance as we speak. I have seen the dramatic changes in just the last 25 years.

As for stereotypical Hispanics: yes; their reputation as a group is declining courtesy of the illegals--------most of whom are usually Mestizos/Indians from either Mexico or Central America.
Im sorry but this just sound kind of naive.
I don't think you really see a lot of poor Black areas. I know youre from DC, but I have a feeling you havent been there awhile.

You see Obama and Colin Powell, and you think thats a sign of "full societal acceptance"?

And I dont even know what "stereotypical HispanicsJ" is supposed to mean, but Hispanics were stereotyped BEFORE the illegal mess of recent times.

You guys can't spin it. In the United States TODAY, Whites and Asians just havent gotten the criminal stereotypes of other groups.

I dont care about Irish and Italians at the turn of th 20th century. Today.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:31 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,101,561 times
Quote:
Id probably vote for any Mexican-American too.
Just to pi_ss off all the anti-illegals of city-data.

Tony "Villar" for prez!!!!
LOL, never say never, we may well have a black president and may of had a woman president. If we had a Mexican American citizen that had
the best interests of the country, I would vote for him without a doubt.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
LOL, never say never, we may well have a black president and may of had a woman president. If we had a Mexican American citizen that had
Nah, I'm just teasing, haha.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
We had a Mexican run for President back in 1968 but; he did not make it past Nixon for the nomination.

Had George Romney won the above; he being born/raised in Chihuahua, Mx may have been disqualified. His parents; despite being US citizens were residents of Mexico at the time.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Im sorry but this just sound kind of naive.
I don't think you really see a lot of poor Black areas. I know youre from DC, but I have a feeling you havent been there awhile.

You see Obama and Colin Powell, and you think thats a sign of "full societal acceptance"?

And I dont even know what "stereotypical HispanicsJ" is supposed to mean, but Hispanics were stereotyped BEFORE the illegal mess of recent times.

You guys can't spin it. In the United States TODAY, Whites and Asians just havent gotten the criminal stereotypes of other groups.

I dont care about Irish and Italians at the turn of th 20th century. Today.
To this very day: whenever people hear an Italian surname, oftentimes they think Mafia. Sounds like a negative stereotype to me.

As for rough Black enclaves; I have seen my share of 'em; trust me. I lived in Los Angeles County ca. 1980-89.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Nah, I'm just teasing, haha.
LOL I know, but I was down right serious.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
To this very day: whenever people hear an Italian surname, oftentimes they think Mafia. Sounds like a negative stereotype to me.

As for rough Black enclaves; I have seen my share of 'em; trust me. I lived in Los Angeles County ca. 1980-89.
Its not the same. Maybe back then it was, but not anymore.
Nobody thinks all Italians are in the mafia anymore. They don't have the same stereotypes stuck on them.

Read the LA forum when you get a chance when people are talking about neighborhoods.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:

Our American Blacks are at or just beyond the 'tipping point' of full societal acceptance as we speak. I have seen the dramatic changes
in just the last 25 years.
Is that not just pathetic that they might have met social acceptance after all of this time. They should have always had social acceptance, and still today it is not like it should be.

We have now replaced the blacks and all the racial feelings towards them, to the Illegal Immigrants, and some of the feelings are justly
felt due to the economy here, but if it were not that, it would be because they are Mexican, the Mexican has taken the place of the blacks, and Mestizos/Indians from Mexico or central America and that is why they are stereotyped. It is like no one measures up to a white American. I think it is very dangerous when you stop seeing people because you think you are far above them.
It should be equal for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration