Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:36 PM

10 posts, read 13,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Be careful what you wish for------there is a distinct possibility that Nuevo Leon, etc. may decide to pull a 'Texas Republic 1836' vis a vis Mexico then apply to join the USA.

The northern Mx states are becomingly more annoyed with subsidizing the poorer southern ones like Chiapas.

In defense of Mexico: there is a good chance that they may study what Italy and Spain did to build themselves up; both countries were poor not so terribly long ago and today are quite affluent
a distinct possibility yes... but impossible in my life time probably more or so... but thats just my opinion of what i know of Mexican history and what could happen in the near future...
ANd yes I do think Mexico will progress and grow up as long as its in the right hands, and a lot of it has to do with the US leadership aswell. Lets just hope for the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 08:33 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,611,576 times
The antonym of anti-illegal is pro-criminal. Again, the only postulation on why anyone would defend deliberate law-breakers and excoriate American citizens, values and laws is true lack of life experience. You do not pay taxes only to find them siphoned to pay for illegals garnering services that you, the taxpayer, will never receive. You do not venture beyond your own ancestral heritage to see that America is made up of those beyond yours, and that insisting upon divisiveness is, well, divisive.

You have proven that Roosevelt's dictum is true in your own case: you are squabbling that your ancestors' former country and culture is not a form of personal pride, but that it takes precedence in all matters of your life to the extent that you do not even consider yourself an unhyphenated American. This will probably be the most divisive legacy of the illegals.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:55 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,687,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
No, when I feel it is narrow minded, is when they cannot find one positive thing to say about whatever we are discussing, which on this topic happens to be immigration, and mostly illegal immigration. It is not all one way or the other.
What if you have not had any positive experience in the topic of which you are posting? What should we make something up to make you feel better?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:39 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,097,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanArrogantAmerican View Post
I think what she means to say is that we "Mexican Americans" are going to use our empowerment as citizens to fight for what we think is right, just like any other citizen fighting for rights. And maybe we arent too concerned about mexican law since we have made our lives in the US.. and since we the US seem to be the "big brother" of the American Continent, its probably smart to start by changing where we (the US) put our foot in. Rather than trying to change a government (Mexico) that has been corrupt ever since its birth....probably would take another century or so give or take... so hey big brother why dont you help me out since you've made your presence in everything else.
Thank you, that is exactly what I meant

Old 04-17-2008, 10:41 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,097,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
What if you have not had any positive experience in the topic of which you are posting? What should we make something up to make you feel better?
Of course not, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,485,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
The antonym of anti-illegal is pro-criminal. Again, the only postulation on why anyone would defend deliberate law-breakers and excoriate American citizens, values and laws is true lack of life experience. You do not pay taxes only to find them siphoned to pay for illegals garnering services that you, the taxpayer, will never receive. You do not venture beyond your own ancestral heritage to see that America is made up of those beyond yours, and that insisting upon divisiveness is, well, divisive.

You have proven that Roosevelt's dictum is true in your own case: you are squabbling that your ancestors' former country and culture is not a form of personal pride, but that it takes precedence in all matters of your life to the extent that you do not even consider yourself an unhyphenated American. This will probably be the most divisive legacy of the illegals.
It is good that they at least get it out in the open and drop any pretense of 'wanting to become Americans'.

"Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico."- Felipe Calderon

The last time somebody talked of nonsense like this was when Hitler was in the throes of his Pan-Germanism and would say the same thing- where there is a German, there is Germany.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:12 AM

334 posts, read 828,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
It is good that they at least get it out in the open and drop any pretense of 'wanting to become Americans'.

"Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico."- Felipe Calderon

The last time somebody talked of nonsense like this was when Hitler was in the throes of his Pan-Germanism and would say the same thing- where there is a German, there is Germany.
And where there is an American, there is the US -- the statement is NOT about territory, it is about protection of a country's citizens. It is a primary reason behind embassays and consolates from various countries all over the world; to take care of their citizens wherever they may be.

And I think most of the illegal workers come only for the work and to send money home, originally. And when in the US they find out they can take advantage of many free services and do (why not? ... wish Mexico had a program giving free tortillas to Gringos . . .) But maybe after living in the US for awhile, that original $$$$ goal changes for some, and they want to stay?

Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,485,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
And where there is an American, there is the US -- the statement is NOT about territory, it is about protection of a country's citizens. It is a primary reason behind embassays and consolates from various countries all over the world; to take care of their citizens wherever they may be.

And I think most of the illegal workers come only for the work and to send money home, originally. And when in the US they find out they can take advantage of many free services and do (why not? ... wish Mexico had a program giving free tortillas to Gringos . . .) But maybe after living in the US for awhile, that original $$$$ goal changes for some, and they want to stay?
Basically amoral people lacking in any sense of right and wrong are not something any country benefits from having.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:39 PM

10 posts, read 13,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post

Believe me this 20 year knows what life experience is. Again it is not the age you’ve lived, but the vigor which you’ve endured it with.
I am not criticizing the “American” (whatever the definition may be)… I am only questioning what a “good American” is and who truly sets the standards? I know what being a Mexican to me is, it might be different to other Mexicans, but I know that it is important to keep my heritage and not give it up just because it is unacceptable to “good Americans”… it is almost like discriminating against one’s religion.
Being loyal to the American country is a different matter; it has nothing to do with whether you are from one culture or the other. Our nation is not bound together by common ties of blood, race or religion; we are united instead by our devotion to shared ideas ~Bruce Cole… I believe in a democratic government, I just recently turned into a citizen believing in what this country stands for… my loyalty is to the American Government, but this doesn’t mean that I will forget of where I came from because it doesn’t matter if I have pride in my mother country or culture, as long as we share the same ideals of Democracy. This is not a Melting Pot, and sorry to break it to you but it never was and it never will be, nobody will just say, “okay forget about my language and traditions, let’s just all blend in to live happily ever after!”
As for the tax comment, I’m well aware of where all that money that costs you is ending up… and believe me it is not in the hands of illegals through social services…It is actually being accumulated in your own Government’s budget that many have taken their attention away from to focus on the more vulnerable target… so why don’t you ask for it? It be smart to vote for a Social Security Reform, or for a tax reform altogether.
Below is just one of the many articles that you should read about the so called tax dilemma caused by illegals. Or just take it from an ex-illegal truly there is more to the term... illegal only makes its sound dishonest, criminal, unacceptable, but the person behind that label truly isn’t all that it is claimed to be.
[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24054024]At tax time, illegal immigrants are paying too - Tax Tactics - MSNBC.com

Have a Blessed Day! Saludos a mis Paisas

Old 04-17-2008, 01:52 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,687,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanArrogantAmerican View Post
Believe me this 20 year knows what life experience is. Again it is not the age you’ve lived, but the vigor which you’ve endured it with.
I am not criticizing the “American” (whatever the definition may be)… I am only questioning what a “good American” is and who truly sets the standards? I know what being a Mexican to me is, it might be different to other Mexicans, but I know that it is important to keep my heritage and not give it up just because it is unacceptable to “good Americans”… it is almost like discriminating against one’s religion.
Being loyal to the American country is a different matter; it has nothing to do with whether you are from one culture or the other. Our nation is not bound together by common ties of blood, race or religion; we are united instead by our devotion to shared ideas ~Bruce Cole… I believe in a democratic government, I just recently turned into a citizen believing in what this country stands for… my loyalty is to the American Government, but this doesn’t mean that I will forget of where I came from because it doesn’t matter if I have pride in my mother country or culture, as long as we share the same ideals of Democracy. This is not a Melting Pot, and sorry to break it to you but it never was and it never will be, nobody will just say, “okay forget about my language and traditions, let’s just all blend in to live happily ever after!”
As for the tax comment, I’m well aware of where all that money that costs you is ending up… and believe me it is not in the hands of illegals through social services…It is actually being accumulated in your own Government’s budget that many have taken their attention away from to focus on the more vulnerable target… so why don’t you ask for it? It be smart to vote for a Social Security Reform, or for a tax reform altogether.
Below is just one of the many articles that you should read about the so called tax dilemma caused by illegals. Or just take it from an ex-illegal truly there is more to the term... illegal only makes its sound dishonest, criminal, unacceptable, but the person behind that label truly isn’t all that it is claimed to be.
[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24054024]At tax time, illegal immigrants are paying too - Tax Tactics - MSNBC.com

Have a Blessed Day! Saludos a mis Paisas

And this is YOUR opinion of he subject. Me I have lived more in my 37 years than many plenty of tragedy and joy. In fact I have a son your age. My family has experienced more than many. We have our views of what is is to be a Good American, based on my families unique history and what it meant for them to become Americans. They took nothing for granted and gave of themselves to this country proudly. I am of German/ Irish heritage, but I am an American, born and raised. Do I enjoy the history of my heritage, absolutly but I am first an American and will stand up for I believe is best for America. I don,t call myself an Irish American or German American, I am purely an American, and if that makes me an arrogant American, well thats your view. Me, I have a few opinions on who the really arrogant people are.

And as far as the last part about illegals and taxes, well that is just a small piece of the pie, their costs to us are alot more than taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration