Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 11:09 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,513,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A loving person doesn't leave their family behind either and they would move lawfully to a country that shares their culture and language and that is not the U.S.
I forgot. So, people should only limit themselves to countries that share their culture and language? Why? Because you think it’s best? Are you seriously saying that people who leave their families to generate income, don’t love their families? People have been doing this for hundreds of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 11:14 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,513,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I agree with you that wishing harm on all is not what I consider appropriate. I however, cannot point to personal harm done to me over and over by illegals.

I would say - which of our immigration laws and thus the enforcement thereof, are you opposed to or believe need changing, and why?
Simple in concept…..greatly expand the number of visas we issue to permit people entry for work. In spite of what other posters here say, we have a shortage of workers, and we should be welcoming those who want to come in and work, mind their business, and try to improve their lives. We should then absolutely do a better job of securing the borders to limit the number of people who enter without visas. I think building a wall is a mistake for many reasons, but I’d be for more surveillance, more border patrol agents, more judges to quickly adjudicate asylum claims. Reasonable people can disagree about the size of worker visa expansion, but it needs to be a lot more than what it is now.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:32 AM

25,115 posts, read 16,310,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
If the borders were thrown open, why did 53 migrant die in an overheated truck and why are people drowning in the Rio Grande? You may be getting some information from FOX news that`s inaccurate.
If our resources only catch about 80%, is that closed enough?

If the folks in charge make a decision that unless you're a dangerous criminal, we'll let you stay here for 3+ years ... is that closed enough?

If HALF the non-asylees (the vast majority don't apply for asylum) don't show up for court and thus remain in the country in defiance of our laws ... is that closed enough?

Quote:
According to a fact sheet released by the Department of Justice in December of 2020, “Forty-nine percent (49%) of all non-detained or MPP removal cases completed in FY 2020 resulted in an in-absentia order of removal due to an alien’s failure to attend a scheduled immigration court hearing.”

Old 09-29-2022, 11:35 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,364,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
How so. Here is the quote directly form OldGlory….

“Anyone who commits a criminal act deserves whatever bad thing that befalls them and I don't care who they are either.”

Note the word “Anyone”.

You guys are trying so hard not to appear xenophobic that you all use language that attempts to show you are applying the same rules to everyone. When I clearly show how applying the same rules to everyone violates your so-called sense of decency, you moved the goal posts.

Look…if you want to say the boarder situation is a mess, fair enough. I agree. But you guys have made it clear through your rhetoric where you say asylum seekers, illegal immigrants (you pick the term) are a bunch of criminals and deserve death, broken necks, or whatever they get because they are CRIMINALS (they broke the law). At least have the decency to be honest about the real issues: hate and xenophobia. Then we can have a genuine conversation about the real issues you have.
Oh, please....this has nothing to do with hate and xenophobia. You do not stay on point, and I have concluded you are nothing more than a rabble rouser with your inflammatory, accusatory, specious arguments, and I for one am not going to play your game any longer. OldGlory and others are free to do as they wish, but I suggest they ignore you from now on, too.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry that these pro-illegals demonize those of us for the rule of law as being filled with hate and anger. It's not that at all it's objection to their unlawful presence here and the damage they cause our own citizens but what would these pro-illegals have if they couldn't use inflammatory words along with pulling the race card? It gets tiring after awhile.

Anyone who commits a criminal act deserves whatever bad thing that befalls them and I don't care who they are either. As I have often said, no one has a right to a better life by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them and anyone who thinks otherwise is a part of the problem and doesn't care about the rightful citizens of this country. Now that's hatred!
Exactly, and it went far past tiring a long, long, long time ago, Oldglory.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:38 AM

6,423 posts, read 7,712,011 times
Default Citizenship isn't a right, it is a responsibility

Quote:
He/she leaves the part out that they are seeking a better life unlawfully and taking from others to do so. As if it makes no difference. A loving person doesn't leave their family behind either and they would move lawfully to a country that shares their culture and language and that is not the U.S.

I don't wish death or harm on anyone but if it happens because they were attempting to break the law they only have themselves to blame.
Exactly, if an American citizen walking in the middle of the street is crushed by a truck the driver will usually not be charged because the person creating the hazard is at fault. There should not be a different standard of care to protect those who think they are better than Americans looking to defraud us.

Personal responsibility is something decent people practice. While living in a border state for too many years I heard them chanting about how Americans stopped having babies so they are here to take us over...of course we will pay for their expenses. If they want to live like an American, then they should fix their own problems and not destroy our country for their greed. Who among them will care when your child dies from their drugs or daughters raped? We should all care about our personal and community safety and standards.

FOX News has exposed the MS13, and other drug / gang issues brought into this country, while the xoe and company are too busy selling us out to the chinese to even acknowledge what they are doing. Please read The Dying Citizen by Victor David Hanson for a great description of what being an American citizen is about and how liberal policies destroying our great country.

Please, please read this before you vote!
http://victorhanson.com/victor-davis...dying-citizen/

Old 09-29-2022, 11:48 AM

^^^ Everyone would do well to read Prof. Hanson's books. Much of the problem here is there are uninformed, unthinking individuals taking the wrong side out of ignorance and/or a total lack of will to learn the facts and the consequences of those facts.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:49 AM

63,343 posts, read 29,416,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Oh, please....this has nothing to do with hate and xenophobia. You do not stay on point, and I have concluded you are nothing more than a rabble rouser with your inflammatory, accusatory, specious arguments, and I for one am not going to play your game any longer. OldGlory and others are free to do as they wish, but I suggest they ignore you from now on, too.
Exactly, what does hate and xenophobia have to to with our objection to illegal aliens and bogus asylum seekers entering our country? These pro-illegal fools always play the race card as that's all they've got!

It is a criminal act to enter our country illegally but it's racist to say so? Most illegal aliens commit felony ID fraud and/or tax evasion after entering but we shouldn't call them criminals? As for these asylum seekers most of them are lying why do they deserve our respect?

I haven't said that they they deserve death or physical harm but if it happens it's on them and them alone! In fact that is what I said in another post so why is that poster lying about what I said?

He/she doesn't want a genuine conversation about this issue because they are ignoring our immigration laws and why they are in place but instead defends these law breakers and just resorts to personal attacks and pulling the race card against those of us for the rule of law. I already have them on ignore. I can't stand these bleeding hearts and ethnocentrics!

Old 09-29-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
So, I think this is closer to the truth. It is unfortunate….I would use the word tragic, but I’m not going to quibble with a choice of word. I would agree that they made the choices that brought them to this situation….fair enough. I hadn’t considered it before, but you raise another fair point, if in fact US taxpayers are covering their medical expenses. I don’t doubt they are, I honestly don’t know. I would say that in this instance, I’m ok with covering their expenses if the treatments are necessary to sustain life or address a major injury….I don’t see morally how you can deny them care, but I can see your point.

I would only add that most of these individuals will or have requested political asylum, and under US Law (which you may like or not like), they are entitled to stay in the country until their claims are adjudicated. I realize that many of this cases take months if not years to resolve, which again is an issue, but legally they are entitled to be here (assuming they have made an asylum request). So,it is not just a matter of deporting them at will.
the vast majority have NOT claimed asylum, political or otherwise.

https://www.justice.gov/eoir/page/file/1060841/download

In 2021, 243K initial applications from ~2MM detained. Simple math tells us that's ~12%.

Since gotaways are estimated at ~20% of those caught, it would be more accurate to say "almost twice as many that come to the border get away than apply for asylum"

Old 09-29-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
So you still haven’t answered….should Rosa Parks have been arrested for breaking the law? I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts.
at least you've changed it to "arrested" instead of whatever form of capital punishment you suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration