Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 02:47 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times

Advertisements

So what do we DO?? Write our representatives? Does anyone still think that even helps? (I do write from time to time, but it feels futile.)

This is all so crazy it is unfathomable. But instead of just complaining, let's talk about how to TAKE BACK OUR NATION!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 03:06 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,068 times
It has been nearly one year now since my former neighbour, now 81 years old American born to generations of Americans, has been living in a room inside of someone's business (no kitchen, no loo--he had to take out a gym membership just to have somewhere to bathe every day) with no hope of finding a sliding scale property to lease. His SS is not enough to qualify him for any apartment. I know many Americans in similarly dire situations. Can you imagine how much $40 billion would help poor Americans? Yet, our government is going to spend it to build housing for illegals and refugees.

Can someone tell me how my former neighbour and I can pass as refugees so we can get help? Seriously, there is NOTHING out there. Bell 211 and they will give you the same short list of "resources," i.e. Catholic Charities, the county offices, food pantries, etc., and all of them will tell you they have nothing available to help you. Subsidised housing for Americans has years long wait lists. In the meantime, well you are homeless and vulnerable to crime, disease, hunger, etc. THAT is the reality for Americans who need help.

Old 08-15-2023, 04:12 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
This is unbelievable. What next? Force Americans to house illegals and refugees in their homes? Maybe they should force Americans out of their homes so the properties can be turned over to illegals and refugees? How much worse is this going to get, folks?!?!?! This is another hard, hard slap in the face to Americans who suffered/suffer from homeless and live in poverty.
You think $40 Billion for refugees is bad?

How about this lunatic's plan to give $300,000 cash to each and every black person in the US for a total of $14 Trillion.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rep-...ry?id=99390652

Old 08-15-2023, 04:23 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
I get the weekly update from Senator Marshall (KS), and he is constantly on the job working against the illegal alien mess. He was a Representative for some time, and now is a Senator, where he is "front and center".

Right now, my adult son with developmental disabilities is trying to get into HUD "affordable" housing. There is one or two others in the program he will enter that will be his roommates. The paperwork is stalled, and there is just the one opening, so I am terrified (he is 37 and we are retired+) that someone else will get it, as the city he will go to is already overrun by illegals, and I am sure more arrive everyday. If they have an anchor baby in tow, these citizens with developmental disabilities with families that have paid into the system for decades will have to remain at home, which has become very difficult for aging parents, as waiting lists simply for any services get longer all the time. There is not enough money to fund services for adults with disabilities. Money paid to providers is low, of course that is because there is no money to "spare", so there is a shortage of providers. This also applies to the needs of seniors and the programs/housing for them.

I am so fed up and have been for years. While I express my opinions to my elected officials, and they agree, that along with voting is all that I can think to do.

I will have to say that I was shocked that with HUD affordable housing, at least this provider required an income 3 times the fair market value of the rent as income in order to live in the apartment, and the income had to be one that could be garnished. So, without that income, he needed a co-signor that made at least 5 times the amount of the fair market rental value of the apartment that could be garnished. We are on SS, and do not make that much money, so the program director is signing, saying she has signed for others. So, a light bulb went off "This is why some people end up homeless." I swear I thought this housing was for those living below the poverty line, but evidently not. How many people would have someone to co-sign for them with that income? In KS that would be 150% of the average monthly income of an individual. So, I'm wondering how these illegals are getting in, but there is probably an exception since they have an anchor baby or 5 or 6 of them.

I asked several years ago when told there wasn't money to meet my son's needs in school "So, what, I take him out, become a citizen elsewhere and then come in illegally and then you will get him the services that he needs." I did not get an answer.

What can we do? I do think people are waking up now. Many are feeling the pinch of the economy and seeing these moochers come in isn't going down so well. It was great that TX "spread the wealth" that is illegal immigration to those cities who were "all talk and no action", but sadly now, the expense will fall on us.

I am so fed up.

Old 08-15-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I get the weekly update from Senator Marshall (KS), and he is constantly on the job working against the illegal alien mess. He was a Representative for some time, and now is a Senator, where he is "front and center".

Right now, my adult son with developmental disabilities is trying to get into HUD "affordable" housing. There is one or two others in the program he will enter that will be his roommates. The paperwork is stalled, and there is just the one opening, so I am terrified (he is 37 and we are retired+) that someone else will get it, as the city he will go to is already overrun by illegals, and I am sure more arrive everyday. If they have an anchor baby in tow, these citizens with developmental disabilities with families that have paid into the system for decades will have to remain at home, which has become very difficult for aging parents, as waiting lists simply for any services get longer all the time. There is not enough money to fund services for adults with disabilities. Money paid to providers is low, of course that is because there is no money to "spare", so there is a shortage of providers. This also applies to the needs of seniors and the programs/housing for them.

I am so fed up and have been for years. While I express my opinions to my elected officials, and they agree, that along with voting is all that I can think to do.

I will have to say that I was shocked that with HUD affordable housing, at least this provider required an income 3 times the fair market value of the rent as income in order to live in the apartment, and the income had to be one that could be garnished. So, without that income, he needed a co-signor that made at least 5 times the amount of the fair market rental value of the apartment that could be garnished. We are on SS, and do not make that much money, so the program director is signing, saying she has signed for others. So, a light bulb went off "This is why some people end up homeless." I swear I thought this housing was for those living below the poverty line, but evidently not. How many people would have someone to co-sign for them with that income? In KS that would be 150% of the average monthly income of an individual. So, I'm wondering how these illegals are getting in, but there is probably an exception since they have an anchor baby or 5 or 6 of them.

I asked several years ago when told there wasn't money to meet my son's needs in school "So, what, I take him out, become a citizen elsewhere and then come in illegally and then you will get him the services that he needs." I did not get an answer.

What can we do? I do think people are waking up now. Many are feeling the pinch of the economy and seeing these moochers come in isn't going down so well. It was great that TX "spread the wealth" that is illegal immigration to those cities who were "all talk and no action", but sadly now, the expense will fall on us.

I am so fed up.
3X and 5X the fair market value of the rent? Do you mean the FULL monthly rent? That sounds illegal. Have you spoken to legal aid and HUD Fair Housing Office? I feel your pain. As I mentioned earlier, my former neighbour is now 81 and living inside of a small room in someone's business. I moved into a one room apartment last year because it was all I could find. I have to move again this year, and I have no idea where I will go. I do not get my paperwork until mid September, so I cannot even apply anywhere until then, yet I have to be moved out by September 30th. I am going to be homeless---no exaggeration.

There is no such thing as emergency housing generally (Covid was an exception which frankly made me angry), and no charities have any funds to help anyone. The future is bleak for both my former neighbour and myself. I think he will end up dying in that one room---he is not likely to secure a sliding scale property for several years if he lives that long. I could be killed whilst homeless. It is very dangerous to be alone and homeless. Even after I secure my paperwork, it could take up to four months to find a property that will accept the stipend. Last year, I searched for more than four months to find anything.

America is broken. I would emigrate if I were younger and healthier. I no longer recognise this country or the majority of the people I see in it.

I wish you and your dear son all the best in the world. I hope it works out really well for him.

Old 08-15-2023, 06:07 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Again, not a lot of detail in the article, but even though I absolutely hate illegal immigration (and love legal immigration) it almost sounds like this is a "nicer than jail" temporary housing solution while immigration is processed.

Why it costs $40B is beyond me, but the reality is southern migration isn't going to end and there may need to be some temporary living structures.

Basically, it sounds like we're building refugee camps.

Now, that being said....until you have control over the border, what would compel would be illegals to:
1. Stop and become citizens.
2. Stop at all and not just keep moving to where they want to go illegally.

More information would be needed.

Old 08-15-2023, 11:30 PM

^^^ It is not just the $40 BILLION that Biden's administration wants for housing. They have been getting free mobile phones, taking up space in U.S. homeless shelters where homeless U.S. citizens are being forced out, and securing other benefits as well.

Do not misunderstand me; I do want to help people within reason. It is just that the scale of this has grown and grown since the 1970s, and it is now so far past intolerable, so far past unacceptable that it seems surreal to me.

Why have we neglected Americans for decades, but we have kept spending and keep spending billions on wars (think Vietnam and Ukraine for a start), and now we are spending billions on illegals and refugees whilst Americans continue to suffer?

It may sound trite, but it is true: Charity begins at home. Our churches and civic groups such as United Way are overwhelmed. They should not be asked to pick up the entire tab for U.S. poor living below the poverty line whilst our government continues to spend billions on guns, illegals, and refugees instead of spending on butter for its own citizens.

Think about it for a bit. How many Vietnamese who helped the U.S. but were left behind once Saigon fell? What about WWII? It was one of the blackest period in history, but how many people did the U.S. allow in then? Very, very few were allowed in. The U.S. mainly took in top intellectuals and scientists who could help the U.S. whilst millions died in Europe in concentration camps and in fighting. Yet, now the U.S. suddenly can take on all of these illegals and refugees from Mexico and South America, etc.??? Why did we not do that during WWII? How many lives could have been saved if we allowed this sort of thing then??

I am past disgusted with this country. If I had children in school here, I would tell them NOT to ever recite the pledge or sing God Bless America. Why should they be subject to such indoctrination whilst they go underfed, under housed, under educated, under employed???? We have more children living in poverty in the richest country in the world than any other country save for third world countries. All Americans do is vote out one bunch of self-interested b*st*rds for another set of self-interested b*st*rds. Our government is a disgrace. We hit one low point after another. Great civilisations come and go over a period of hundreds, sometimes thousand of years, and it is happening to America right now. We will do well to remember how so many civilisations self-destructed from Egypt to Rome to Easter Island. We are in the process of committing suicide in this country right now. Believe it, babies!

Last edited by PhinneyWalker; 08-15-2023 at 11:41 PM..

Old 08-15-2023, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We could probably wall of our entire southern border with that kind of money. However, I just wish that the other half of the wall would get finished that needs to be done which is only another 500 miles of it.
In the third century B.C.E., Chinese emperor Qin Shi Huang began the Great Wall of China to defend China. The wall still stands today. Yet the U.S. in the modern age with all its computers, technology, and wealth cannot protect its own borders. Puh-Leez!

Old 08-15-2023, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Why are there politicians who would nearly do anything and everything in their power to cut food stamps, yet the fangs nearly retract all the way back when crap like this comes up.
Exactly. They not only want to cut food stamps to U.S. poor, they do not want to approve increases for medical, housing, unemployment, and other benefits to the most vulnerable U.S. citizens, etc. The allowance for nursing home residents has not been increased in something like 6o years for example. I cannot recall the exact numbers off of the top of my head, although I recall posting about this once before, but I think the old dears in many states still get only $30 per month allowance out of their incomes for anything and everything they need. You can spend that much on personal hygiene items alone. Forget anything more than that. The rest of their incomes goes to the nursing homes.

Old 08-16-2023, 12:32 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
It has been nearly one year now since my former neighbour, now 81 years old American born to generations of Americans, has been living in a room inside of someone's business (no kitchen, no loo--he had to take out a gym membership just to have somewhere to bathe every day) with no hope of finding a sliding scale property to lease. His SS is not enough to qualify him for any apartment. I know many Americans in similarly dire situations. Can you imagine how much $40 billion would help poor Americans? Yet, our government is going to spend it to build housing for illegals and refugees.

Can someone tell me how my former neighbour and I can pass as refugees so we can get help? Seriously, there is NOTHING out there. Bell 211 and they will give you the same short list of "resources," i.e. Catholic Charities, the county offices, food pantries, etc., and all of them will tell you they have nothing available to help you. Subsidised housing for Americans has years long wait lists. In the meantime, well you are homeless and vulnerable to crime, disease, hunger, etc. THAT is the reality for Americans who need help.
Less than $40 Billion can easily house those that are homeless but are not addicted to drugs. Housing that portion alone will make the homeless issue that much easier to deal with. Yes, there are homeless people that are not addicted to drugs.

Plus even the ones who are homeless because of drug addiction, cannot really be helped if they are left on the street. It is not an environment conducive to healing, and rehabilitation. Yes, of course these addicts have to want for and by themselves to get better, but if the avenue to get better is not there for them, then it wont matter. They cannot get better even if they want to.

$40 Billion will go a long way to helping everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration