Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we take care of migrants?
Yes, from the population according to their ability, to the migrants according to their needs 2 6.67%
Yes, we have to support all comers 1 3.33%
They are welcome to come but not get support 3 10.00%
They are welcome but should pay the fair market value of their encampments 3 10.00%
Other views, post away! 21 70.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 12:00 PM

23,742 posts, read 12,615,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That should be our policy today. Allowing mostly those from one ethnic group legally or illegally into our country just encourages balkinization not assimilation.
Exactly. What we should be doing is putting a cap on how many come from each country, like back during Ellis Island. And we should also be incentivizing first world legal immigration for young adults who have children or who're planning on having children.

Quote:
Even if their kids attend our schools they will still embrace their native culture and language above ours and once they outnumber us it will feel like the country that they came from not what our identifying one has been. I'm not talking about race here either it's about our identifying culture and language. I live in So. Calif. so I ought to know. It's happening here at a rapid pace.
Yep. My great grands on my mom's side came here with their kids during Nazi Germany. They made sure the kids learned English and didn't allow the kids to speak their native language in the home. They all worked hard, often more than one job, paid their taxes and they were not a blight on society. They assimilated and were happy to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 12:08 PM

63,009 posts, read 29,203,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Exactly. What we should be doing is putting a cap on how many come from each country, like back during Ellis Island. And we should also be incentivizing first world legal immigration for young adults who have children or who're planning on having children.

Yep. My great grands on my mom's side came here with their kids during Nazi Germany. They made sure the kids learned English and didn't allow the kids to speak their native language in the home. They all worked hard, often more than one job, paid their taxes and they were not a blight on society. They assimilated and were happy to do so.
My German ancestors did the same. My wife's Polish ancestors did the same. Practicing one's native culture is fine within the home just that they should embrace ours first and foremost especially out in mainstream America. Illegal immigration does nothing to encourage that especially when it's on a massive scale.

The early immigrants came from different countries, spoke different languages and had different cultures so it was diversified, unlike today. They joined together to form the melting pot and made English our national de facto language. That's not what is happening today.

Old 01-16-2024, 12:37 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,446,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The early immigrants came from different countries, spoke different languages and had different cultures so it was diversified, unlike today. They joined together to form the melting pot and made English our national de facto language. That's not what is happening today.
I'll have to disagree with this. By the second generation essentially everyone is speaking English. It just so happens the illegal entrants are currently coming from Aisa, Latin/South America, and Africa. They speak a variety of languages.

The early melting pot you romanticize wasn't very kind to Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians and isn't necessarily an ideal either.

Old 01-16-2024, 12:51 PM

35,122 posts, read 17,080,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
The early melting pot you romanticize wasn't very kind to Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians and isn't necessarily an ideal either.
Asians have done extremely well for themselves, for one.

Old 01-16-2024, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
True. Despite the unnecessary obstacles of the olden days they are progressing. Actually all 3 groups mentioned are navigating obstacles and progressing.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:05 PM

363 posts, read 286,416 times
why no option for, get the hell out and apply legally?

Old 01-16-2024, 01:22 PM

25,973 posts, read 22,164,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
You 'thought' wrong on most every count.

Slaughtering animals is a necessary part of human existence. My family and I don't enjoy having to slaughter an animal, but people need to eat.

Try not to worry about being an across the board 'liberal'....which is something you have assigned but does not apply.

You are bringing up 'brown people' out of the blue here. I'm not the one trumpeting trying to deport 40 million of them. so speaking of their welfare doesn't walk hand in hand with those statements.
Actually, no, slaughtering animals is not a necessary part of human existence.

Most that support illegal immigration fall into one of two categories: 1. They are liberal. 2. They personally benefit from the presence of illegals - both need to be detained and deported and shipped out with those people that they hold above our own citizens.

I don't give a darn what color someone is, these people need to be detained and deported, but those that want to favor them over our own citizens always whine that it is because they are brown. Got news for you, we take more legal immigrants from the countries they come from then any place else in the world.

We won't get the slaughterhouse. Those with serious investments in town don't want to see it become a "dive", and the needed information has been circulated.

Trump did very well in Iowa. I had heard yesterday that when polled just before the caucus and asked what the most important issues were to the Republicans, the first was "immigration". I was surprised that the economy came in 2nd, but also thrilled that people, well some people, are waking up to the plague that illegal immigration is now that we have spread the "blessing" that these people bring to the streets of our cities!

Detain and deport. Let them go home and complain there about the food and shelter they are provided, because I am tired of hearing them complain here.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:34 PM

25,973 posts, read 22,164,069 times
Quote:
Actually, many of the immigrants that came in legally, or in the case of blacks were "brought" in, have done well. Most immigrants comeing in legally were determined and came with the idea that they would have build a life for themselves, and welfare didn't exist as a draw to moochers like today.

"Sleeves rolled up ready to help build the country." vs "Hands out and pregnant asking what do I get."

I lived near South Bend, IN, and there were many ethnic groups there with businesses, and my hometown was the end of the Underground Railroad, so I saw diversity as a child. They earned a living, and built a life not one dependent on taxpayers.

I would have to say that Asians are generally very motivated to achieve, as I worked with several from different countries over time. My DIL and grandson are both Filipino, but citizens now, and my grandson's dream was to be in the military when he graduated, and he has realized that dream. It was SO important to my DIL to take the citizenship test, and she was very proud when she became an official citizen. My Korean friend told me that she gave their daughter an American name (born in the US) because her daughter was an American. Gosh, she and her husband worked so hard, and worked even harder and waited to get to come to their new country.

The jobs open to those coming in do not pay enough to live on, thus they become dependent on public assistance through their anchor babies. The reason the jobs are open is because citizens realize they cannot live on the income provided, and they don't want to get public assistance. Most jobs illegals are qualified for are disappearing due to technology, and you know what they say about "idle hands".

Old 01-16-2024, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Actually, no, slaughtering animals is not a necessary part of human existence.
We won't get the slaughterhouse. Those with serious investments in town don't want to see it become a "dive", and the needed information has been circulated.
:
Ok in your world no people will eat meat and slaughterhouses aren't necessary. In the rest of the (real world) it is just the facts of life. Most people across the globe eat meat. If the nation's people don't have the stomach to provide the services, other nations will, and we will slowly bankrupt ourselves.

Quote:

Most that support illegal immigration fall into one of two categories: 1. They are liberal. 2. They personally benefit from the presence of illegals - both need to be detained and deported and shipped out with those people that they hold above our own citizens.
That is a lot of people you want deported! Hopefully people with this attitude can live in small, isolated areas where they don't have to be around the general populace, they obviously aren't fond of.

Quote:

Trump did very well in Iowa. I had heard yesterday that when polled just before the caucus and asked what the most important issues were to the Republicans, the first was "immigration". I was surprised that the economy came in 2nd, but also thrilled that people, well some people, are waking up to the plague that illegal immigration is now that we have spread the "blessing" that these people bring to the streets of our cities!

Detain and deport. Let them go home and complain there about the food and shelter they are provided, because I am tired of hearing them complain here.
Trump would be better than Haley, although I don't agree with many of his supporters regarding immigration issues.

I think many stories are designed to enrage people regarding illegals, and those stories are especially effective to the base that wants to read stories that enrage them.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:55 PM

63,009 posts, read 29,203,719 times
Quote:
The melting pot had nothing to do with any treatment of minorities back then. It's about assimilation back then and today. The topic is about assimilation not discrimination. Maybe someone should start a topic about the latter in the proper forum. This one isn't it. The non-assimilation going on today is directly due to illegal immigration in massive numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration