Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 05:13 AM

178 posts, read 735,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
We're well blessed with idiots looking through those Hector Sanchez glasses.

Instead of looking through Archie Bunker glasses, why not
focus on the problem and offer up ,if you have any, constructive
and intelligent solutions to this growing problem if anyone can think of one.
Key words being constructive and intelligent. I don't believe anyone on this forum was ever being
pro illegals. We were just trying to stick up against bigotry, which sadly appears to be a lost cause.

Last edited by la quinta family; 02-06-2007 at 05:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 07:15 AM

504 posts, read 1,765,331 times
I learned a long time ago you just help where you can and I do, my time, money and sometimes my patience. My ex husband enjoyed working with Mexicans and he still feels something must be done for them because so many live in limbo, by being welcome if a job is available to being hated if they sit needing emergency medical care, which many do pay for. I have taken many to doctors and they have paid, the children usually use the clinics for shots and yearly check ups, the last thing this country needs is unhealthy tiny children.
Lets just say all undocumented workers or as they say ''I have no papers'', started paying taxes, paying for medical, or being able to get insurance thru some sort of co op, and were not eligible for government benefits for a period of time, paid into social security and enrolled in English speaking classes, would it be better, or is it because so many of you just want to get rid of them. They are here to stay, this country will not deport millions of people and leave their citizen children here, lets try to stop the flow and help those that are here be part of this country so their would be no great divide as thier is now.
I enjoy my Hector Sanchez glasses they help me see both sides.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:26 AM

10,197 posts, read 11,182,085 times
Alexander - I can understand where you're coming from. No, we don't need sick children running around. I love all kids, regardless of who or where they come from.

THe problem I see is - when is enough going to be enough? How many more will come here. There is only so many jobs - land for that matter. We need to put an end to more coming in. I don't see those who are already here leaving.

Yes, they need to start paying taxes, insurances, etc, etc.

We need to control the inflow.....

Old 02-06-2007, 07:37 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,681,976 times
If they can some how become legal, pay real taxes not this claim 10 crap so nothing is hardly taken out!, pay for their own health insurance, not this government sponsered type either, but real health insurance like most of us have to do,no more special services, take some basic english courses, I dont expect them to become fluent, take some living courses, you know how to treat your neighborhood and country, get real car insurance, then yes I have no problem with them being here, they will be contributing like we do everyday.

Last edited by Nea1; 02-06-2007 at 07:57 AM..

Old 02-06-2007, 07:52 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,482,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
I learned a long time ago you just help where you can and I do, my time, money and sometimes my patience. My ex husband enjoyed working with Mexicans and he still feels something must be done for them because so many live in limbo, by being welcome if a job is available to being hated if they sit needing emergency medical care, which many do pay for. I have taken many to doctors and they have paid, the children usually use the clinics for shots and yearly check ups, the last thing this country needs is unhealthy tiny children.
You state 'many do pay' for ER services. Far too many do not. The individuals that receive care need to make an effort to pay. It is very troubling to read that illegal aliens annually send billions of dollars are sent to their home countries while ignoring their obligation to pay hospitals and care providers for the services they received.

(this is from 4 years ago, the situation is probably considerably worse now)
February 2003:
America: Medical Welcome Mat To The World

-The costs of providing health care to illegal aliens is crippling many hospitals throughout the country.

-In North Carolina, a Medicaid emergency services program averages 221 new cases every month involving immigrants, many of them illegal, at a cost of about $32 million.

- Washington Times: dozens of hospitals in the 28 counties along the U.S.-Mexico border in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California have either closed their doors or face bankruptcy because of losses caused by uncompensated care given to illegal immigrants

-Scripps Memorial Hospital in San Diego was forced to close after losing more than $5 million a year in unreimbursed medical care, much of it for illegal immigrants

-The Southeast Medical Center in Douglas, Ariz., is on the verge of bankruptcy because of uncompensated care to undocumented aliens

-The Cochise County, Ariz., Health Department spends as much as 30 percent of its annual $9 million budget on undocumented aliens

-The University Medical Center in Tucson will spend up to $10 million this year providing uncompensated alien health care.

-The costs of such “charity” care typically are shifted to insured patients, resulting in higher health insurance premiums.

Last edited by andreabeth; 02-06-2007 at 08:06 AM..

Old 02-06-2007, 08:16 AM

178 posts, read 735,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
You state 'many do pay' for ER services. Far too many do not. The individuals that receive care need to make an effort to pay. It is very troubling to read that illegal aliens annually send billions of dollars are sent to their home countries while ignoring their obligation to pay hospitals and care providers for the services they received.

(this is from 4 years ago, the situation is probably considerably worse now)
February 2003:
America: Medical Welcome Mat To The World

-The costs of providing health care to illegal aliens is crippling many hospitals throughout the country.

-In North Carolina, a Medicaid emergency services program averages 221 new cases every month involving immigrants, many of them illegal, at a cost of about $32 million.

- Washington Times: dozens of hospitals in the 28 counties along the U.S.-Mexico border in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California have either closed their doors or face bankruptcy because of losses caused by uncompensated care given to illegal immigrants

-Scripps Memorial Hospital in San Diego was forced to close after losing more than $5 million a year in unreimbursed medical care, much of it for illegal immigrants

-The Southeast Medical Center in Douglas, Ariz., is on the verge of bankruptcy because of uncompensated care to undocumented aliens

-The Cochise County, Ariz., Health Department spends as much as 30 percent of its annual $9 million budget on undocumented aliens

-The University Medical Center in Tucson will spend up to $10 million this year providing uncompensated alien health care.

-The costs of such “charity” care typically are shifted to insured patients, resulting in higher health insurance premiums.
As long as business owners and farmers hire illegals to work...
and pay them low wages so they can pass on savings to the
American public ( and profit themselves) we'll always be paying
in other ways. That "free" medical they recieve is not really free.
They would have earned it.
If they worked such low wages .. then the business owners
are handing us the bill.. not the illegals. As a side note since everyone keeps talking about
how much medical and such illegals cost us....... I wonder how much less we pay for our
strawberries..... and lettuce, oh and carrots.. times millions of americans.. yeah, I wonder what
the numbers are on that just to be fair sided. No one talks about those numbers. Hmmmmm

Last edited by la quinta family; 02-06-2007 at 08:26 AM..

Old 02-06-2007, 08:23 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,471,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;340784
pay for their own health insurance, not this government sponsered type either, but real health insurance like most of us have to do,no more special services.
Why are some of you folks so focused on this issue?! They don't make as much money as you after its all said and done, regardless of necessary services. Your complaining about being jipped from someone who comes from a less fortunate nation and was born with less than you, and has less than you.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Why are some of you folks so focused on this issue?! They don't make as much money as you after its all said and done, regardless of necessary services. Your complaining about being jipped from someone who comes from a less fortunate nation and was born with less than you, and has less than you.
Born with less, how do you know what I was born with? I was raised on a farm, we had to get up sometimes at four to do the harvest and go to school, come back and work. We were NEVER rich, never had insurance either but never took handouts or worked any system..

I still cant afford health insurance for us, we had to use our house to pay a huge medical bill, then had to sell the home because we couldnt afford the new payment. How is that fair? We cant walk away from medical bills, or our credit and perhaps way of life will be ruined. I cant give false SS# and false address. I am an america I would be hunted down like a dog. My daughter recently had hand surgery, cost 7000 so we are on a payment plan. 150.00 a month. Why cant they? Because that would be called responsibility for ones own. Yea I am irritated about being jipped by our own citizens, why should I have to be jipped by people that dont belong here as well? Oh by the way since you know me so well, how much money do I make?

Old 02-06-2007, 08:31 AM

30,395 posts, read 52,006,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Yup, that's the point! I don't spend time worrying about their healthcare, because I realize how fortunate I am... I have a good education, family support, insurance, and will never have to worry about employment or shelter. All border issues aside, once they're here, they need to be provided with healthcare and educations - otherwise we'll just have more uneducated, unemployable sick people, and who needs that?? It's for everyone's benefit that they are given these things, whether or not people agree with how they've arrived. We're not a third-world country, so people on our soil should not be treated as such.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:33 AM

What about those of us citizens that cannot afford insurance? Should we be given that assistance as well? I am glad you are so fortunate, but not every american is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration