Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 09:33 AM

30,398 posts, read 52,011,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
To live In Mexico full time, you must get an FM-3, a "no Inmigrante" visa, or a FM-2 "Inmigrante restista" visa. You are not allowed to reside in Mexico with the FM-T tourist visa you came in with. There are certain requirements that must be met with each type of document, and it is best to talk to your Immigration official to find out exactly what they are. Don't expect your immigration official to speak much English, so if you don't speak Spanish, bring along an interpreter.

Couples considering retirement to Mexico should make sure both partners feel the same way. If dad's hobby is fishing, but mom's is shopping in Bloomingdale's and Nieman Marcus, Manzanillo may not be her kind of town. You should be adventuresome, flexible in your lifestyle, interested in learning new things, and open to exploring a different culture. You should be able to make friends easily, study the Spanish language, and be able to be separated from your family and friends in the U.S. Patience and tolerance is a must. Everything moves slower here, and "type A" personalities don't fit in. You will be a "minority" race here, and you'll have to accept all the differences that being a gringo entails.

You must be financially stable. It's difficult to get work papers here, and even more difficult to make a living. Tourist season is from November through April. After Easter, Manzanillo looks like a ghost town (except for major Mexican holidays). The heat and humidity can get pretty oppressive for some people, especially when there are other health problems.

You must be a free spirit, a self starter, confident and independent. You must be open minded to a different way of life, but "street-wise" enough not to be taken in by some fast talkers. (if you've got some money to invest, there'll be plenty of folks around who'll take you in as their "business partner.")

There are so many things that we take for granted in the states, such as paying bills by writing out a check. This is a cash economy. You pay your phone bill, electric bill and water bill with cash, in person, standing in line. You wake up one day and the electricity or the phone has been shut off because you didn't pay the bill (that you haven't even received yet). The drivers and the driving "laws" are different. (I use the term "laws" loosely, because even though there are laws and rules of the road, abiding by them is arbitrary.) There are often no modern conveniences, like air conditioning. Dinner is at a different time than back home, usually after 8 p.m. You can't tune in to a radio station in English. Unless you have a satellite dish, all TV programs are in Spanish. Car repairs are a royal pain. You can't find your favorite food at the supermarket. You planned to have pork chops, but the Commercial Mexicana doesn't have any. If you have big feet, there are no shoes to fit. (So who wears shoes anyway?) You hold a dinner party and everybody's late. And so on.

Do you see how we would have to assimulate ourselves into their way of life. gee why do we cater so much?
Can I ask for a citation on this quote? Anyway, it's obviously speaking of a small, rural town... and if you flipped it around for the US, that would apply to most of our rural areas too. Have you been to the big cities in Mexico? I have, and they totally cater to English-speaking Americans & tourists. McDonald's on the corner, shop clerks who speak English, American grocery products, etc. - many of them will even accept US dollars instead of pesos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 09:39 AM

172 posts, read 309,541 times
Susan Dearing's Facts, Tips & Day Trips Guide to Colima & Manzanillo

It's the "Bible" of Mexican day-trippers the world over.

I swear by it.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:40 AM

178 posts, read 735,567 times
Quote:
Nope I would work 3 jobs if I have too. It is MY responsiblilty to care for my family that I chose to have. And If I had to cross the border, I would do what ever I could to get a work visa. And I hate that they come in with the intensions so many of them do, the no respect, let the americans pick up their tab mentality I have witnessed. if they are truely here to become citizensthey should have no problem doing what it takes, life will still be better here legally than back where they came from. BTW I have met quite a few that have said they were not poor back home, making money here and not having to pay for it is just easier.
So you would if you had to cross the border. I appreciate your
honesty. All the illegals I have met have been very respectful,
hard working, nice people. They love their kids and get the whole
family dressed up to go to Church and after Church they usually
go shopping (walmart) so I guess you'll never relate to my
experiences and I will never relate to yours. I just assume you
have been around some low life people (they come in all shapes, colors,
sizes and nationalities) and I have been around some nice
ones. Trying not to stereotype the people you are around
is one of the hardest things to do in life. I've lived places where
there are a bunch of white trash meth users and I've lived places
where there are a bunch of black thug gang bangers. I don't dislike
a group because of bad experiances. I realize there are bad and good
in all of us. Too bad you've only experienced the bad where you
are.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:42 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,682,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Can I ask for a citation on this quote? Anyway, it's obviously speaking of a small, rural town... and if you flipped it around for the US, that would apply to most of our rural areas too. Have you been to the big cities in Mexico? I have, and they totally cater to English-speaking Americans & tourists. McDonald's on the corner, shop clerks who speak English, American grocery products, etc. - many of them will even accept US dollars instead of pesos.
she was speaking from Manzinillo (sp) a tourist town. but she has 10 years of living all over mexico. That why she mentions Mexico and not just towns. My mom has been all over mexico and says this is the way of life there. And you speak of Just the big cities, well here in America, they dont live in just the big cities. and they are not tourists.

http://www.tomzap.com/living.htm (broken link)

Old 02-06-2007, 09:43 AM

178 posts, read 735,567 times
Quote:

Yes!! I"ve been to Puerta Vallarta and also Baja Mexico..... english
speaking sales people everywhere and they accepted our u.s. money.
I wonder if they have blogs trashing all the rich white american
kids who are so spoiled and go down there on spring break with
Mom and Dad's money... I mean swords go both ways.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la quinta family View Post
So you would if you had to cross the border. I appreciate your
honesty. All the illegals I have met have been very respectful,
hard working, nice people. They love their kids and get the whole
family dressed up to go to Church and after Church they usually
go shopping (walmart) so I guess you'll never relate to my
experiences and I will never relate to yours. I just assume you
have been around some low life people (they come in all shapes, colors,
sizes and nationalities) and I have been around some nice
ones. Trying not to stereotype the people you are around
is one of the hardest things to do in life. I've lived places where
there are a bunch of white trash meth users and I've lived places
where there are a bunch of black thug gang bangers. I don't dislike
a group because of bad experiances. I realize there are bad and good
in all of us. Too bad you've only experienced the bad where you
are.

I have lived in four states, the same all over so far. the ones I have met with work visas and trying to become citizens are very nice and respectful. The ones that are just here to use are not. And I have the same disdain for the white trash drug users and black gang thugs. I dont judge them all the same. I have hispanic friends ,ones in the process of becoming citizens, even they have problems with the illegals that have no intensions of living here after retirement.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:46 AM

30,398 posts, read 52,011,068 times
Quote:
I have lived in four states, the same all over so far. the ones I have met with work visas and trying to become citizens are very nice and respectful. The ones that are just here to use are not.
You see, and I've met nice ones (and not-so-nice ones) from both sides... which proves our point, that you can't judge based on individual experiences. One of the sweetest, most respectful women I've met came here illegally, to provide a decent life for her 2 kids. She's now a legal citizen, and out of thanks for helping her daughter in school, she'd send me gifts, cards, and invitations to family events. Hardly the disrespectful, rude and dirty person some of you make them out to be....

Old 02-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elishan View Post
Susan Dearing's Facts, Tips & Day Trips Guide to Colima & Manzanillo

It's the "Bible" of Mexican day-trippers the world over.

I swear by it.
Atleast she has the expereince. How long have you lived in Mexico?

Old 02-06-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
You see, and I've met nice ones (and not-so-nice ones) from both sides... which proves our point, that you can't judge based on individual experiences.
I am judging the ones that abuse the systems. The ones that want to be apart of america, well welcome. I have met more not nice than nice. If there was no abuse of the services and the USA we wouldnt be having this conversation. All I do know for sure is if we keep giving they will keep coming. So giving them more free services will do nothing to prevent the problem. So give me your ideas on how to solve the problem.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:56 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,191,157 times
Quote:
Here's an example of how generous other countries can be... it's time we lose this "America first" attitude, and start considering ourselves to be part of the WORLD.

HURRICANE KATRINA: Aid offers from around the world
Independent, The (London), Sep 6, 2005
AUSTRALIA $10m, mostly to US Red Cross
CHINA $5m
JAPAN $200,000 to the US Red Cross
SINGAPORE Three Chinook helicopters
THAILAND Sent 100 doctors and nurses
SOUTH KOREA $30m plus 50 rescue workers
BANGLADESH $1m
SRI LANKA $25,000 to US Red Cross.
KUWAIT $500m worth of oil products
QATAR Pledged $100m
BAHRAIN Pledged $5m
CANADA Four ships loaded with relief supplies and 1,000 personnel
RUSSIA Three planes with emergency gear
ROMANIA Medical staff
CUBA Fidel Castro offered 1,100 doctors with 26 tons of medicine
VENEZUELA President Hugo Chavez, a vocal critic of the US, has offered cheap fuel, humanitarian aid and relief workers
MEXICO Fifteen truckloads of supplies and two ships, two helicopters and 15 amphibious vehicles
BRITAIN Sending 500,000 military ration packs, medical experts and engineers
Americans have troops in Iraq & Afganstian sacrificing EVERDAY!! Americans have given by sweat and blood from war to making a living for there families. We didn't get to were we are today by following Europe and this is still the best land to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration