Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 08:20 PM

124 posts, read 91,954 times

Advertisements

Because the labor rate for domestic workers has risen, and the need to meet tremendous financial obligations that the American family has to pay have risen as well. Consider if a lettuce farmer had to pay American workers...he would have to take on a healthcare plan for his business (very expensive, and something that he wouldn't have to do for migrants). What is he going to do? Pass that cost on to the consumer. I gaurantee that if you replace all the migrant workers with domestic workers requiring a minumum wage and benefits, the cost of the items they are producing will rise...

Also, don't forget that many of these migrants are paid under the table such that the employer does not have to pay his share of payroll taxes (1/2 of the social security and Medicare contribution). If he had to pay this as well, it would be another cost to pass on to the consumer, as would be participation in unemployment insurance costs if he had to hire domestic workers.

Overhead saved by the business owners is passed on in savings to the consumer. I am not saying it's right, I am just saying it's reality. So do we, as consumers, want to keep costs down. Or, will be willing to accept higher costs as consumers for domestic-only workforce?

Last edited by 525600minutes; 06-01-2007 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 08:25 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 525600minutes View Post
Because the labor rate for domestic workers has risen, and the need to meet tremendous financial obligations that the American family has to pay have risen as well. Consider if a lettuce farmer had to pay American workers...he would have to take on a healthcare plan for his business (very expensive, and something that he wouldn't have to do for migrants). What is he going to do? Pass that cost on to the consumer. I gaurantee that if you replace all the migrant workers with domestic workers requiring a minumum wage and benefits, the cost of the items they are producing will rise...
Sure it will rise ... but how much does illegal immigration cost you in taxes and services? How much over crowding of schools are there? How many taxes are NOT being paid? How much free health care is used?

Do the math and you'll see legal worker cost less than illegal in the long run.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:32 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,851,149 times
But who says that lettuce farmer will supply insurance for his American workers? Many many businesses don't, and there are many requirements for corporate business that don't apply to ag business. To make any sense of this issue the facts have to be considered. The fact is, there is no justification for allowing anyone to be here illegally.
This argument is not about LEGAL migrant workers. The issue is about anyone being here ILLEGALLY and getting by with it. The issue is about anyone EMPLOYING illegal aliens, which is against the law, and getting by with it. If it is OK to break one law "to support your family", why isn't it OK to break all laws? If business can break one law "to keep consumers cost down" then what other laws or OK to break?

Old 06-01-2007, 08:37 PM

124 posts, read 91,954 times
I am not totally disagreeing with your points, chele. I am just saying I am keeping my own interests at heart too...and I will be a bit concerned when costs start rising on consumables. So, I am willing to let a little bit slide

Old 06-01-2007, 08:49 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,125 times
Quote:
I am not totally disagreeing with your points, chele. I am just saying I am keeping my own interests at heart too...and I will be a bit concerned when costs start rising on consumables. So, I am willing to let a little bit slide
You're already paying the cost in reduced services, higher state and local taxes, higher state, local and federal debt and reduced quality of education do to over crowding, underfunding and illegal children who are not on the tax poll or listed as residents. and reduced job opportunity for the young entry level/summer job American citizen worker.

Maybe you don't see it on a price tag, but you're paying already.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:54 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,851,149 times
Quote:
And truthfully, I think that is how most of us felt at first. But BAM! Now we have a surplus of illegal immigrants and a BIG problem. You can't just break the law a little bit, and you can't just leave the door open a just a crack.

Quote:
You're already paying the cost in reduced services, higher state and local taxes, higher state, local and federal debt and reduced quality of education do to over crowding, underfunding and illegal children who are not on the tax poll or listed as residents. and reduced job opportunity for the young entry level/summer job American citizen worker.

Maybe you don't see it on a price tag, but you're paying already.
Exactly Davart!

Old 06-02-2007, 12:25 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,991 times
I own and operate a small business. For the first 2 years I busted my a$$ everyday to make it what it is today. Now I have a staff (americans only, no illegals) but I still work everyday. Im not afraid of hard work, I do what I have to. And I even have my kid working for me, that way he can learn to appreciate his pay and not be frivalous with it. He also knows that mom works hard for what we have.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:47 PM

7 posts, read 18,550 times
Illegal immigrants do affect american jobs, sorry to say, what about all the construction jobs that are getting scarcer b/c of them being hired at alot less wage.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:38 PM

111 posts, read 447,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaranda View Post
I'm not gonna argue anymore b/c you'll never change my mind...if you lose your job b/c of an illegal immigrant suck it up and deal with it and go find another job...there are plenty of jobs out there in this country that are just looking to be snatched up!

You are such a *******....You know that. People like you must be killed. No, just kidding! But, do you think, its good, what youre saying?

Old 06-02-2007, 10:01 PM

233 posts, read 440,037 times
Default I smell an illegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaranda View Post
I'm not gonna argue anymore b/c you'll never change my mind...if you lose your job b/c of an illegal immigrant suck it up and deal with it and go find another job...there are plenty of jobs out there in this country that are just looking to be snatched up!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++
Reading this persons posts it comes to mind that we are either dealing with someone who is one of the illegal theives or at the least a product of them, so this poster will never see any other side of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration