Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:42 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,289,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Uhh...no.

I was not pointing out the so-called character flaws of a specific group of illegal immigrants. In case you haven't noticed, many things have changed since people firsts began coming to this country. Religious persecution--the main reason that people left the European countries--is no longer a major factor in emigration. You may have noticed the fact that we no longer burn witches around here.

Poverty can only be changed from within--handouts rather than hand ups benefit no one, especially the recipients. As I pointed out earlier, at some point, people must begin to stand up for themselves and for their progeny. They cannot continue to run away to the U.S. in order to solve their problems. We have enough of our own to worry about without adding more to the mix.

I'm sure that someone as important and educated as yourself would understand that the correct grammatical construction of this particular sentence is actually "someone as important and educated as you" with no comma after making. The word "and" is a coordinating conjuction and requires no comma.

I appreciate the fact that you've attached a label of importance to me, but you can lay off now. You're beginning to really embarrass me.
So all those Italians, Germans, Irish, Scottish, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Swiss, Norwegians, Swedish people came to escape religions persecution?

Man, do I got my history mixed up.

I could've sworn the floods of people landing in Ellis Island from Europe were "economic refugees".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 05:55 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,302,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
So all those Italians, Germans, Irish, Scottish, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Swiss, Norwegians, Swedish people came to escape religions persecution?

I could've sworn the floods of people landing in Ellis Island from Europe were "economic refugees".
And do the rest of your history regarding Ellis.
They had to stand in line,
They had to endure a physical exam from a doctor
They had to demonstrate a means test.
Many were rejected and sent back.
It wasnt an open border situation nor a free for all................

Big Big Difference between then and now.....................thats not a difficult comparison is it,

Old 12-09-2008, 06:09 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post

Big Big Difference between then and now.....................thats not a difficult comparison is it,
As you stated. My father had to jump through the hoops when here immigrated (legally) here to the USA in 1951.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:25 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,757,650 times
Quote:

Lovely the way that you continually pull what you want out of posts and disregard the rest.

The first immigrants to this country to arrive (displacing the Native Americans you claimed were the only ones with the actual right to be here) came here to escape religious persecution. That is the emigration of which I spoke, however--if you choose to be deliberately obtuse, well--you just go right on ahead and have fun with that.

I have much better things to do, especially this week, than to try to clarify myself to you--the only person on this forum who seem to have this much trouble understanding my posts.

By the way, Asians are not Europeans. I think I was pretty specific about the wave of emigration I was referring to.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Lovely the way that you continually pull what you want out of posts and disregard the rest.

The first immigrants to this country to arrive (displacing the Native Americans you claimed were the only ones with the actual right to be here) came here to escape religious persecution. That is the emigration of which I spoke, however--if you choose to be deliberately obtuse, well--you just go right on ahead and have fun with that.

I have much better things to do, especially this week, than to try to clarify myself to you--the only person on this forum who seem to have this much trouble understanding my posts.

By the way, Asians are not Europeans. I think I was pretty specific about the wave of emigration I was referring to.

The emigration of which you spoke? I thought I brought up all the immigrants of the past when you brought up the shameful motives of the illegal immigrants, which is very similar to the motives of the previous legal immigrants.

Asians aren't Europeans? Amazing.

This is going in circles, and you're way too argumentative to give any ground, or admit you might've made an ironic comment about the motives of immigrants.

Moving on..

Old 12-09-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post

Again, you're missing the point. But I'll give you credit for not deliberately missing the point like someone else. Nice try.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:29 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,302,185 times
Quote:
Again, you're missing the point. But I'll give you credit for not deliberately missing the point like someone else. Nice try.
Pray do tell what the "point" was.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration