Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:33 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,475,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Analogy. I grew up on a farm and the principle of a fence is the same.
If you have a strong fence in 80% of your fields you need only focus on the remaining 20%.. You still remain alert to the rest but its easier to tend to 20% v.s 100%.
The fence is forcing the illegals to attempt crossing in fewer areas. making patroling Easier to manage.
Excellent points in detail.

I totally agree,

But I think this poster may not see the connection...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 08:41 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,764,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Whoa, you are replying a little late. Almost didn't see this red opened envelope all the way down there.

Weren't we talking about your claim that I was all for open borders? And then I asked you to find a quote where I hinted towards that? And then you had to go to work?

My views towards illegal aliens? I don't hate them, or even dislike them. And I don't hide that at all.
Well, gee...

Pardon my tardiness. I apologize for allowing my education and my job to take precedence over this forum. I mean after all, this should be my priority I suppose, even though next week is finals week. I mean, who really cares about studying when I could be in here having yet another fruitless, go nowhere, argument with you?

And I didn't say that you were an open borders fanatic. I said that your posts have made your views on illegal immigration quite clear. Big difference.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:13 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,291,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Well, gee...

Pardon my tardiness. I apologize for allowing my education and my job to take precedence over this forum. I mean after all, this should be my priority I suppose, even though next week is finals week. I mean, who really cares about studying when I could be in here having yet another fruitless, go nowhere, argument with you?

And I didn't say that you were an open borders fanatic. I said that your posts have made your views on illegal immigration quite clear. Big difference.
Well, you sound like a very important person, I wouldn't dream of taking up your time. I know what it's like to be off the forum and have a bunch of people say "crickets" or "don't expect an answer" because I'm out and about and haven't replied to a question.

I got confused by this:

Quote:
Well, if you want to open our borders up to the world's poor, then I guess you'd better stick Mexico waaaaayyyyy down at the bottom of the list.
thinking it was insinuating I was for open borders.

Sorry about that.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Well, gee...

Quote:
Well, you sound like a very important person, I wouldn't dream of taking up your time. I know what it's like to be off the forum and have a bunch of people say "crickets" or "don't expect an answer" because I'm out and about and haven't replied to a question.

I got confused by this:

Kele: "Well, if you want to open our borders up to the world's poor, then I guess you'd better stick Mexico waaaaayyyyy down at the bottom of the list."

thinking it was insinuating I was for open borders.

Sorry about that.
And then we have the original post to which I responded.....

Quote:
But I guess this country is full of examples since it is almost exclusively made up of people who ran away from a life that wasn't exactly what they would have planned for themselves, instead of working to insure that life would be better for their children and their children's children.

Maybe the vast majority of people in this country ran away to the United States because they found that to be the best way to insure a better life for their children, children's children.
I can see where you would make that mistake, seeing as you took MY quote completely out of context as a reply to the above.

You are justifiying illegal entry on the basis of the old "They're just coming here for a better life," rote excuse that we have heard ad nauseum. Whether or not your personal convictions allow for illegal immigration is fuzzy at best. You continually exculpate illegal aliens regardless of the lawless behaviror they are involved in, so it is difficult to suss out.

I merely pointed out that we cannot feasibly open our borders to all of the poverty stricken of the world and that if indeed we are to do so, Mexico's citizens are positively Rockefeller-esque compared to the rest of the world. I stated that if you are willing to bypass the law in favor of the poverty-stricken, there are far more deserving third world citizens than those of Mexico--the 16 richest country in the world.

Next time you want to use one of my own quotes against me, be sure to read the entire post as well as the post to which it pertains. It's quite easy to glean from each of them, when taken in context, that I was in no way calling you an open borders fanatic.

Last edited by Kele; 12-08-2008 at 10:27 AM..

Old 12-08-2008, 04:57 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,291,229 times
Quote:
And then we have the original post to which I responded.....

I can see where you would make that mistake, seeing as you took MY quote completely out of context as a reply to the above.

You are justifiying illegal entry on the basis of the old "They're just coming here for a better life," rote excuse that we have heard ad nauseum. Whether or not your personal convictions allow for illegal immigration is fuzzy at best. You continually exculpate illegal aliens regardless of the lawless behaviror they are involved in, so it is difficult to suss out.

I merely pointed out that we cannot feasibly open our borders to all of the poverty stricken of the world and that if indeed we are to do so, Mexico's citizens are positively Rockefeller-esque compared to the rest of the world. I stated that if you are willing to bypass the law in favor of the poverty-stricken, there are far more deserving third world citizens than those of Mexico--the 16 richest country in the world.

Next time you want to use one of my own quotes against me, be sure to read the entire post as well as the post to which it pertains. It's quite easy to glean from each of them, when taken in context, that I was in no way calling you an open borders fanatic.

Uhh.....no.

Someone, I believe it was you, made a statement about the character of people who come to America, running away from their problems rather than staying home and fix theirs.

I pointed out that that description describes how the vast majority of the people in this country ended up here.

You describe it as a character flaw of a specific group of immigrants, when that is the case with everyone in this country except for the Native Americans and most African-Americans.

I'm sure someone as important and educated as yourself would understand the point I was making, and would understand the irony of your comment.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Uhh.....no.

Someone, I believe it was you, made a statement about the character of people who come to America, running away from their problems rather than staying home and fix theirs.

I pointed out that that description describes how the vast majority of the people in this country ended up here.

You describe it as a character flaw of a specific group of immigrants, when that is the case with everyone in this country except for the Native Americans and most African-Americans.

I'm sure someone as important and educated as yourself would understand the point I was making, and would understand the irony of your comment.
Uhh...no.

I was not pointing out the so-called character flaws of a specific group of illegal immigrants. In case you haven't noticed, many things have changed since people firsts began coming to this country. Religious persecution--the main reason that people left the European countries--is no longer a major factor in emigration. You may have noticed the fact that we no longer burn witches around here.

Poverty can only be changed from within--handouts rather than hand ups benefit no one, especially the recipients. As I pointed out earlier, at some point, people must begin to stand up for themselves and for their progeny. They cannot continue to run away to the U.S. in order to solve their problems. We have enough of our own to worry about without adding more to the mix.

I'm sure that someone as important and educated as yourself would understand that the correct grammatical construction of this particular sentence is actually "someone as important and educated as you" with no comma after making. The word "and" is a coordinating conjuction and requires no comma.

I appreciate the fact that you've attached a label of importance to me, but you can lay off now. You're beginning to really embarrass me.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,266,098 times
Quote:
Uhh.....no.

To be fair antialphabet there is a mile of difference between coming here legally and skulking accross the border illegally in the dead of night.
Sort of like the difference between knocking on someones door and waiting to be invited in and sneaking through an unlocked window at 2 am and helping yourself to the owners goods.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:16 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,303,825 times
Quote:
To be fair antialphabet there is a mile of difference between coming here legally and skulking across the border illegally in the dead of night.
Sort of like the difference between knocking on someones door and waiting to be invited in and sneaking through an unlocked window at 2 am and helping yourself to the owners goods.
Good points Tm the subtly of which is lost on some.................

Old 12-08-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Uhh...no.

I was not pointing out the so-called character flaws of a specific group of illegal immigrants. In case you haven't noticed, many things have changed since people firsts began coming to this country. Religious persecution--the main reason that people left the European countries--is no longer a major factor in emigration. You may have noticed the fact that we no longer burn witches around here.

Poverty can only be changed from within--handouts rather than hand ups benefit no one, especially the recipients. As I pointed out earlier, at some point, people must begin to stand up for themselves and for their progeny. They cannot continue to run away to the U.S. in order to solve their problems. We have enough of our own to worry about without adding more to the mix.

I'm sure that someone as important and educated as yourself would understand that the correct grammatical construction of this particular sentence is actually "someone as important and educated as you" with no comma after making. The word "and" is a coordinating conjuction and requires no comma.

I appreciate the fact that you've attached a label of importance to me, but you can lay off now. You're beginning to really embarrass me.
Well stated

Old 12-08-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
To be fair antialphabet there is a mile of difference between coming here legally and skulking accross the border illegally in the dead of night.
Excellent points
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration