Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:16 PM

638 posts, read 1,919,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett
I think there would be a hell of alot more attractive women in the U.S if the majority of the illegals in this country were from Russia and not from Mexico/Central America. There is a reason why Russian mail order brides are in alot more demand than Hispanic mail order brides.
And there would be a hell of a lot more ATTRACTIVE MEN if they would start mail order grooms from Italy, France and Turkey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:04 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,151,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinCarl View Post
And there would be a hell of a lot more ATTRACTIVE MEN if they would start mail order grooms from Italy, France and Turkey.
What a hoot: a Frenchman can be of any race/ethnicity.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM

117 posts, read 152,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I think there would be a hell of alot more attractive women in the U.S if the majority of the illegals in this country were from Russia and not from Mexico/Central America. There is a reason why Russian mail order brides are in alot more demand than Hispanic mail order brides.
Ever been to an east bloc country? I have and let me tell you they aint all hot. In fact from what I saw most look rode hard hung up wet and makeno mistake. Those russian brides are here for the chance to rip off the idiot that married them. It happens every single day.
Now we all know that I am not pro hispanic. But to say mexican women are not attractive is just nuts. There are many very beautiful hispanic girls out there. Beauty aint a race thing its an attitude.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:45 PM

25,801 posts, read 18,848,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinCarl View Post
Hmmm... let's get all mooooshy and philosophical:

And if we were all blind, maybe we'd think about what REALLY matters in a relationship and makes someone 'attractive.' You know... the old 'beauty is only skin deep' thing.

Sheesh, if all you're lookin' for is 'flesh,' buy a realdoll. They look very realistic (and 'attractive') these days. And they never have a headache.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:07 AM

394 posts, read 1,007,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I have good news for you. A NUMBER of participants on this forum apparently fit your requirements for posters who want to be 'taken seriously'. They have, in their sentiments, in their writings, (and often, in your exact words) shown that they are "against all illegals, not just Hispanics". There are many, MANY of them on this forum....you don't even have to look very hard.

Not only do many of these folks AGREE with your qualifications (above), they often go on to "scold" the racists on here, who really ARE "just anti-Hispanic". Happens more often than you seem to think.
mac, they hear what they want to hear and nothing more.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:20 AM

73,050 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
I think a lot of this has to do with language. There have been several cases of incompetent Russian translators causing serious havoc in the industry. It seems that native Russian speakers (62% of whom are light-skinned, and 57% of whom ALSO have blue eyes...and could pass for 'white capitalists' at first glance) have a difficult time distinguishing the subtleties of colloquial English....and when the Russian brides are entered into the catalogue, occasionally the publisher (usually based in some sweatshop in Vladivostok, with illegal North Koreans on the payroll) will print "MALE, OLDER, brides" (which, in ENGLISH, sounds pretty close to "MAIL order brides", but means something quite different)...And THAT, to many American 'grooms' would be regarded as a major deal-breaker.

Also, there are those who hear of "the Russian Mafia", and automatically rule out Russian brides, assuming they'll look like Tony Soprano in drag.

Still OTHERS fear a Russian woman MIGHT look like Rod Blagojevich, not realizing that Blagojevich isn't Russian, he's Serbian...and MIGHT pass for a Rumanian, if the light was dim enough.

The "bride" business is a tricky one...
I just looked at a picture of Blagojevich. He could pass for Romanian in any light. I always thought he was Croatian. I know the difference between a Russian name and a Croatian/Serbian name. Most likely, a Russian name will not have the letter "J: in it. Anyone who knows Slavic languages(or has any knowledge at all of Slavic languages) would know this.

As for the Russian imigration, I know there was alot of fear of Russians during the Cold War. Today not so much.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:33 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,563,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
And I refuse to speak a foreign language to get around in my own country no matter what foreign language.
I understand, Tom, that you feel frustrated. These arguments CAN seem to go on ad infinitum....but I feel that if you ABSOLUTELY refused to ever use a foreign phrase, it would be a MAJOR faux pas on your part....a TOTAL fiasco. I KNOW you're an aficionado of English, and I feel your angst....but if you have ANY savoir-faire at ALL, (and you DO seem to be an articulate bon-vivant), then please, I urge to to accept the status quo as a fait accompli, and realize that SOME foreign phrasing is just about inevitable.

Merci, and ciao.....Continue to favor English, but don't conduct a jihad against foreign phrases. Vive la difference !!

Old 02-13-2009, 11:13 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,572,319 times
Quote:
I understand, Tom, that you feel frustrated. These arguments CAN seem to go on ad infinitum....but I feel that if you ABSOLUTELY refused to ever use a foreign phrase, it would be a MAJOR faux pas on your part....a TOTAL fiasco. I KNOW you're an aficionado of English, and I feel your angst....but if you have ANY savoir-faire at ALL, (and you DO seem to be an articulate bon-vivant), then please, I urge to to accept the status quo as a fait accompli, and realize that SOME foreign phrasing is just about inevitable.

Merci, and ciao.....Continue to favor English, but don't conduct a jihad against foreign phrases. Vive la difference !!
Brilliant "find the word" quiz. It's late, so I'm sure I missed some, but I hope I passed.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,563,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Brilliant "find the word" quiz. It's late, so I'm sure I missed some, but I hope I passed.
You passed, all right....summa c*m laude !!

Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,010,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherhead View Post
Ever been to an east bloc country? I have and let me tell you they aint all hot. In fact from what I saw most look rode hard hung up wet and makeno mistake. Those russian brides are here for the chance to rip off the idiot that married them. It happens every single day.
Now we all know that I am not pro hispanic. But to say mexican women are not attractive is just nuts. There are many very beautiful hispanic girls out there. Beauty aint a race thing its an attitude.
but the pretty ones are usually not the illegal alien types that we see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration