Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:31 PM

82 posts, read 199,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Do you think they would have done a better job than illegal Hispanic immigrants when it comes to learning English and assimilating into American society ? How do you think the quality of life in Los Angeles for example would be like if they were the city with the second largest Russian population in the world, second only to Moscow.
They would still be illegal immigrants so who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 04:34 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
I think it likely that if we had a huge influx of illegal Russian immigrants, they would be deported. There are no lobbyist organizations for Russians illegals the way there are for Hispanic illegals. Eastern European illegals are deported all the time, and yet we don't hear stories of them holing up in a church claiming sanctuary.
But, if there was a huge influx of illegal Russians during the cold war era, I can see the government instituting a 'dry foot/wet foot' like immigration policy. Even then I don't think we would have had many. Look at how our government views illegal Chinese, they deport them-- and certainly those people actually can make a better claim towards political asylum then most of the hispanic illegals can.
So, in a nutshell ... my answer would be 'no, we would not have to press 2 for Russian, there would not be Russian/English signage. They would have gotten the boot, as they do now.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:35 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,608,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
If that's the case, why don't these people organize for their rights? Didn't Russia once "own" California (google "Fort Ross").....didn't they own Alaska, as well? I'm surprised these Russians don't want to 'take back' their lands....the lands that 'their people' lost.

They must not be very dedicated Russians...
I thought taking back Alaska by the Russians was recently in the news? Wait...yup....google will give you the answer. Try to research next time...

Old 01-13-2009, 05:37 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
I thought taking back Alaska by the Russians was recently in the news? Wait...yup....google will give you the answer. Try to research next time...
I hadn't heard that news. I DO know that the Russians, before they left, made a lot of Aleuts take Russian surnames....and I know they left behind a lot of those "Orthodox Churches", which are nearly IMPOSSIBLE for a roofing contractor to repair, for a reasonable price..

But in any case, there's lots of prejudice to this day. Look what happened to Milorad Blagojevich. The guy finally gets a government job (Governor of Illinois), and immediately they try to 'knock him down'. Now he's out of a job, because people THINK he's a Russian. (Actually, he's a Serb....but try telling the Gringos that....they can't tell the difference)...

Old 01-13-2009, 07:25 PM

394 posts, read 1,007,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Do you think they would have done a better job than illegal Hispanic immigrants when it comes to learning English and assimilating into American society ? How do you think the quality of life in Los Angeles for example would be like if they were the city with the second largest Russian population in the world, second only to Moscow.
there's no doubt in my mind, IT WOULD WORSE, AS A MATTER OF FACT IT WOULD BE A DISASTER!

my problem with ILLEGAL hispanics has never been their skin color or their attitudes. i find them as a whole to be very polite, respectful people. now maybe they're different in the southwest where their numbers are much greater, i don't know. my problem with them is their negative impact on wages and legal citizens as a whole, not to mention their total disrespect for our laws.

now my problem with RUSSIAN immigrants IS attitude. i've had maybe 10 or 12 dealings with russians and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE EXPERIENCES WAS NEGATIVE....EVERY SINGLE ONE! they were either trying to scam me, rip me off, were complete arrogant a**holes or all of the above. i don't want to generalize, but 0 for 10, or 0 for 12....C'MON!!!!!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:35 PM

956 posts, read 3,002,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
and you know that because....?

Correct me if I'm wrong but Russians have a strong criminal origination.

Correct me if I'm wrong but young Russians in Moscow (in Russia) often live in abandoned buildings because they cannot afford rent ...

Correct me if I'm wrong but Russians often stick their mentally ill people in horrible institutions that would make Guantanamo Bay look like day camp.

Did you know there are 100,000 homeless in Moscow?

you simply spew nonsense with no substance to back it up...
I shall correct you. Firstly, the criminal organizations calling themselves Russians are not ethnically Russian -- they're simply from Russia.

I know nothing about the rest, though I can say that the RF is not fully recovered from communism.

Furthermore, I've been to Russian neighborhoods in the SF Bay Area and not once was I ever fearful of their inhabitants.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:48 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,755 times
Quote:
Furthermore, I've been to Russian neighborhoods in the SF Bay Area and not once was I ever fearful of their inhabitants.
Yeah in San Francisco it is the predominantly Hispanic district of the Mission that you have to worry about. The Richmond district which has a large Russian as well as Asian population has very little crime.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:39 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,107,252 times
Little Russia by the Sea. Looks like a latino immigrant neighborhood minus little bambinos running around. Russians are terrible breeders.

YouTube - LITTLE RUSSIA BY THE SEA

Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Little Russia by the Sea. Looks like a latino immigrant neighborhood minus little bambinos running around. Russians are terrible breeders.

YouTube - LITTLE RUSSIA BY THE SEA
Back home their birthrate is ca. 1.5 children per woman, which is well below replacement level.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:04 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
I shall correct you. Firstly, the criminal organizations calling themselves Russians are not ethnically Russian -- they're simply from Russia.

I know nothing about the rest, though I can say that the RF is not fully recovered from communism.

It doesn't matter. Thier nationality is Russian and they would still be making their way here. Do you care if an illegal immigrant born in Mexico is of Honduran decent? I know I don't. An illegal, is an illegal, is an illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration