Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support amnesty for illegal aliens?
Yes, let's roll out the red carpet 18 16.82%
No, get them back to Mexico ASAP! 89 83.18%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:42 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Corinthians127 View Post
You are picking little pieces of a post out then turning them around. You should read my post again. I never said you hated anyone. And when I said "you guys" I never said city-data, what I meant was the people who decide to protest illegal immigration but only go after Mexicans and people of color...
Oh no?

Quote:
Edit - Benicar, where did I say anything about this forum? I did not mention anything about this forum, Racist Anti-Illegal immigration supporters are everywhere, on this forum and in the real world... I know Mexican is not a race, no where did I say they were a race. Hatred will make you see things in arguements that aren't there.
I know. . . you specifically mentioned Benicar, but you weren’t referring to me. Got it.

When you comment on THIS forum, and you state “you guys,” it gives one the impression you are in fact referring to us. How will we know when you ARE referring to us? Will you say “those guys?”

At least be man/woman enough to stand by your comments. Or, have enough integrity to admit a mistake. There is nothing wrong with admitting you didn’t quite phrase something as intended. But, please don’t insult my intelligence by telling me you didn’t state something, when you clearly did.

As much as you and other pro-illegals need to believe opposition to illegal immigration equates to hatred of Mexicans, nothing could be further from the truth. Of course, when one supports lawlessness and has nothing substantive as a defense, the only device one can use is the defunct race card. Sorry to disappoint you, but I have several Mexican friends living in Cancun, as well as a few Mexican-American friends. And guess what? They don’t like illegal aliens either. Perhaps it’s more of the self-loathing we’re told is so prevalent among Hispanics who oppose illegal immigration. Yes, that would explain it.

Last edited by Benicar; 05-26-2009 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: Additional comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
A large amount of C/D's posters have a strong anti-illegal tendencies, that I would think would scare off all but determined posters. I got asked to leave the forums by a member who stated that my posts were offensive and my ideas 'repugnant' if I'm not mistaken. Later, the poster acknowledged that we were here to express our different opinions and withdrew the request. I have a rather thick skin so no harm done, but a more sensitive individual might have just left.
I am as anti-illegal as they come. Yet, you may recall, I defended your right to be here in response to that poster. You may also recall, I summarily sent you a DM welcoming you to the forum, and encouraging you not to allow anyone to dissuade your participation. Selective memory?

Quote:
So, I think the poll is more representative of the U.S. opinion than polls conducted via C/D threads.
How can a poll be representative of the U.S. populace when only a few are selected? I certainly have never been polled on the issue of illegal immigration. Nor has ANYONE I know; and I know LOTS of people from diverse backgrounds living in every region of this country. Furthermore, if the majority of U.S. citizens support "a path to citizenship" (amnesty) for illegal aliens, or what you pro-illegals refer to as Comprehensive Immigration Reform -- why has it failed on EVERY attempt? Why was there so much opposition to CIR that the Senate couldn’t handle the calls, and were forced to close their switchboards?

Old 05-26-2009, 10:02 AM

804 posts, read 1,360,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I am as anti-illegal as they come. Yet, you may recall, I defended your right to be here in response to that poster. You may also recall, I summarily sent you a DM welcoming you to the forum, and encouraging you not to allow anyone to dissuade your participation. Selective memory?
I do remember and thank you for your post and PM, and I do realize that I should have added it to the post since it was relevant. But would you stand behind the statement that a similar post to yours happens as often as a post asking someone to stop posting? If you do, since I have not been in this forum that long, I'll back down from this point.

Quote:

How can a poll be representative of the U.S. populace when only a few are selected? I certainly have never been polled on the issue of illegal immigration. Nor has ANYONE I know; and I know LOTS of people from diverse backgrounds living in every region of this country. Furthermore, if the majority of U.S. citizens support "a path to citizenship" (amnesty) for illegal aliens, or what you pro-illegals refer to as Comprehensive Immigration Reform -- why has it failed on EVERY attempt? Why was there so much opposition to CIR that the Senate couldn’t handle the calls, and were forced to close their switchboards?

I do not know of any of my friends being polled either, but that's the nature of polls, they randomly select a few people and ask them about the issue, since asking everyone would be not logistically feasible. You try to do the sampling as random as possible as in not to skew your poll.

I have no idea why the CIR had failed at every attempt, none of the people I know got to vote on it, and I do not have anywhere near enough information to make an informed decision. I do think though, that the political environment at this point and the people in power is more likely to pass such a bill than in the previous years.

About the large call volume, with 300 million people, even if a fraction of a percent of the population feels strongly about an issue it's easy for them to monopolyze those switchboards. Specially with the ease to find information. In the forums supporting the Dream Act are post where the representative's contact information is listed, and people are requested to call them up on a daily basis. The people who receive the phone calls do not ask your name, zip code, ssn, dl, or any other information that would prove that the call comes from a constituent.

Now, I do not know to what extend politicians take into consideration the phone calls, polls, business interest, or the risk that certain stances pose on their careers; but I would think that the all weight in. In Texas a new candidate to governor for the Republican Party has illegal immigration as his main issue, so from that race we will see what Texas residents think about the issue.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Kellem, I was the poster who made that comment. I apologize. It was uncalled for and I received an infraction as deserved.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I do remember and thank you for your post and PM, and I do realize that I should have added it to the post since it was relevant. But would you stand behind the statement that a similar post to yours happens as often as a post asking someone to stop posting? If you do, since I have not been in this forum that long, I'll back down from this point.

I do not know of any of my friends being polled either, but that's the nature of polls, they randomly select a few people and ask them about the issue, since asking everyone would be not logistically feasible. You try to do the sampling as random as possible as in not to skew your poll.

I have no idea why the CIR had failed at every attempt, none of the people I know got to vote on it, and I do not have anywhere near enough information to make an informed decision. I do think though, that the political environment at this point and the people in power is more likely to pass such a bill than in the previous years.

About the large call volume, with 300 million people, even if a fraction of a percent of the population feels strongly about an issue it's easy for them to monopolyze those switchboards. Specially with the ease to find information. In the forums supporting the Dream Act are post where the representative's contact information is listed, and people are requested to call them up on a daily basis. The people who receive the phone calls do not ask your name, zip code, ssn, dl, or any other information that would prove that the call comes from a constituent.

Now, I do not know to what extend politicians take into consideration the phone calls, polls, business interest, or the risk that certain stances pose on their careers; but I would think that the all weight in. In Texas a new candidate to governor for the Republican Party has illegal immigration as his main issue, so from that race we will see what Texas residents think about the issue.
There was no need for you to mention my actions; and that was not my point. You insinuated something false, and I simply wanted to bring it to your attention.

The reasons CIR failed in the past, are the same reasons it will fail again -- ‘We the People’ do not want it. If anything, there is even more opposition now than before. Our economy and the entitlement marches have certainly impacted fence-sitters, as well as the apathetic. CIR will not pass, nor will the DREAM Act.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:15 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
yes, JUST because... what is a haitian or ghanian going to do in mexico?

its funny when people try to say its not about mexicans

Old 05-26-2009, 11:18 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
yes, JUST because... what is a haitian or ghanian going to do in mexico?

its funny when people try to say its not about mexicans
Why, I have no idea! They find things to do here in the US so presumably they could also adjust to life in Mexico.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:45 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
...Edit - Benicar, where did I say anything about this forum? I did not mention anything about this forum, Racist Anti-Illegal immigration supporters are everywhere, on this forum and in the real world... I know Mexican is not a race, no where did I say they were a race. Hatred will make you see things in arguements that aren't there.

Edit again - Why are Mexicans not allowed to fly their flag? People from all nationalities fly their flag openly. Now when one flies another countries flag above the American flag is where one could get mad with reason.
I think you're confused. You consistently refer those of us against illegals as racist.
Quote:
1Corinthians127

71 posts, read 4,901 times

Hate Exposed: Codewords of Hate - ADL
Video

Codewords of Hate for Stacy Burdett spot

Surprisingly, many people use these terms and do not know they are being racist, or they know they are racist but try not to appear that way. The above video is short and it speaks the truth.
Note: About the flag. Perhaps you have never seen that forward that has been around for years that has the mexican students at a high school in California all cheering because they ran the mexican flag up the pole ABOVE the American flag they put UPSIDE DOWN.

I have no use for ANYONE who supports those hateful, useless leaches.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:51 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
what high school? where? got a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I think you're confused. You consistently refer those of us against illegals as racist.

Note: About the flag. Perhaps you have never seen that forward that has been around for years that has the mexican students at a high school in California all cheering because they ran the mexican flag up the pole ABOVE the American flag they put UPSIDE DOWN.

I have no use for ANYONE who supports those hateful, useless leaches.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
what high school? where? got a link?
This incident was also available on YouTube, but has been removed. A photo can be seen on the link below.

Quote:
School officials keep an eye on marching students as hundreds showed up to Montebello High School and urged those students to leave the school and protest against proposition HR 4437 on March 27, 2006, at the Montebello school. The Mexican flag was raised at the school by the protesting students, shown in the background. Students walked from El Rancho High School in Pico Rivera to Pioneer High School in Whittier, then on to Whittier High School, to Montebello High School and then to downtown Los Angeles. (Raul Roa/Staff photo)
So Cal Walkout Pics (Dubya's Future GOP)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration