Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:09 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,855,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo46 View Post
I oppose illegal immigration and support legal immigration. I can't see why this would be considered hateful.
Because some people are so ignorant or brainwashed into believing that anti-illegal immigration is somehow racist/xenophobic/nativist/anti-Hispanic/anti-Mexican/etc.

In addition, some people are sadly incapable of distinguishing the difference between legal & illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 12:12 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,588,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
To stop the flow, it would require a veritable army from the Pacific to the Gulf. Then patrols on the Pacific and the Gulf. Also we would need to check EVERY single person who enters into this nation and keep tabs on them. That's not a cheap feat.

Thus, a more mutual way is beneficial for both parties.
Quote:
My brother and grand father served, as well as uncles and cousins. Hell, I'm even contemplating joining the Navy during grad school.

Why should we use our military for this? It would be a waste of taxpayer money. When will we learn that fighting a war against an idea leads to nowhere (war on terror, war on drugs, war against communism, war on illegal immigration).

So you propose we pull troops from Afghanistan, Iraq, and N. Korea to sit on the border? One of the main reasons we are pulling out of Iraq is due to the high cost. Thus, we can shrink the army a bit. We will have to pay said people now, more equipment, and frankly more taxpayer money towards this.
You are missing the point. IF we enforced our immigration laws, NO ILLEGAL would be able to work in this country, live in this country, or abuse our systems. Thus, there would be no need for a wall, because there would be no incentive to come here illegally.

Obviously, you don’t realize we have troops stationed all over the world; not just in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the N/S Korean border. If it isn’t “a waste of taxpayers’ dollars” to have our troops protecting the borders of other countries, why would it be a waste to protect our own borders? If we don’t secure our borders, we will pay dearly; and I don’t mean tax dollars.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,183,508 times
Quote:
Ok...your point?
It is high time to do away with birthright citizenship unless as least one parent (preferably the mother) is living here legally. Tourists do not count.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Who said anything about fighting? We use our Marines and Army to guard the border between North and South Korea why not use them on our own border?
What additional cost? Infact it would save money. No Isolation duty pay, no hazardous duty pay, the logistics to support guarding our own border would be next to free compared to the cost of moving men and materials 6000 miles. Seal the border and that will stop the majority of illegals from entering.
Pass laws that hammer employers and enablers and that will force self deportation.
Exactly!

The government spends billions of dollars to maintain troops overseas in other countries that are very much capable of defending themselves.

We need to bring the troops home from South Korea, Italy, Germany, Japan, etc. and use the money that subsidizes them to be spent on paying our National Guard to assist the Border Patrol.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,183,508 times
Quote:
I might be one of the few exceptions. I'm hispanic and I oppose illegal immigraton.
More and more American Latinos are coming on board against illegal immigration since for them in particular, it is a slap in the face-----------especially those folks from Mexico, etc. who played it by the rules.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:20 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,588,195 times
Quote:
I might be one of the few exceptions. I'm hispanic and I oppose illegal immigraton.
You are not an anomaly. There are many Hispanics who oppose illegal immigration. However, the MSM and illegal alien profiteers realize they can’t support their anti-illegal “racism” agenda if they admit race/ethnicity is not a factor for the vast majority of opposition to illegal immigration.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:27 PM

13,515 posts, read 17,064,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
What's wrong with supporting something legal yet opposing something illegal? How is it hateful to oppose illegal immigration but not legal immigration?

I don't think I made my point clearly. Poorly written.

Certain facets of the population here in the US want you to think that America is mean to immigrants because many Americans oppose illegal immigration, or want something done about illegal immigrants.

My point is that, relative to the rest of the Western World, we allow more immigrants to come here legally than just about any country, and when you pile on all the illegals, the number of people coming here dwarfs (proportionally) every other Western Nation. Yet some people want you to think we are hate filled xenophobes because we think that uncontrolled illegal immigration should be stopped. The previous post explained the motivations of those calling everyone xenophobes very well.

The people shrieking are
-Hispanic or Latino, so they want to increase their own power by increasing their numbers. Nothing wrong with that, but why is it racist and hate filled to say..no, you can't?

-Business people who want to have cheap exploitable labor.

-Politicians who view these immigrants as future votes up for grabs to whoever is the nicest to the immigrants.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I don't think I made my point clearly. Poorly written.

Certain facets of the population here in the US want you to think that America is mean to immigrants because many Americans oppose illegal immigration, or want something done about illegal immigrants.

My point is that, relative to the rest of the Western World, we allow more immigrants to come here legally than just about any country, and when you pile on all the illegals, the number of people coming here dwarfs (proportionally) every other Western Nation. Yet some people want you to think we are hate filled xenophobes because we think that uncontrolled illegal immigration should be stopped. The previous post explained the motivations of those calling everyone xenophobes very well.

The people shrieking are
-Hispanic or Latino, so they want to increase their own power by increasing their numbers. Nothing wrong with that, but why is it racist and hate filled to say..no, you can't?

-Business people who want to have cheap exploitable labor.

-Politicians who view these immigrants as future votes up for grabs to whoever is the nicest to the immigrants.
I must have misinterpreted your post. Sorry about that.

On the other hand, I pretty much agree with what you've posted.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:51 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,915,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The US has one of the loosest immigration policies in the developed world, but from what people here would have you think, we are bitterly anti-immigrant. I'd like to move to Switzerland..high standard of living, great culture..guess what? I can't. It's almost impossible to emigrate there.

Yet people in the US talks about stopping ILLEGAL immigration, not even mentioning cutting back on LEGAL immigration, and we are a nation of hate mongers.
I've been to Switzerland. I was in Vevey for 3 months. Great place. Fortunately I speak French. However, they hated it when I spoke English while I was on the phone.

The Swiss will not accept you, untill you speak PERFECT German, French, Italian, or Romansch.

This is not a great message to send out to the world. In order to move to Switzerland, you need approval not only of the Canton, but of the city as well.

I never stated that the US was a nation of "hate mongers". I believe just because one nation does one thing we need not follow in their footsteps.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,915,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Exactly!

The government spends billions of dollars to maintain troops overseas in other countries that are very much capable of defending themselves.

We need to bring the troops home from South Korea, Italy, Germany, Japan, etc. and use the money that subsidizes them to be spent on paying our National Guard to assist the Border Patrol.
That's a horrible idea. We need troops near places WE started wars in or have major conflicts in. N. and S. Korea is prime example. We need to stay there since the mentality of the N. Koreans is that the Korean War is still going on. We need troops in Germany and Turkey since we are heavily involved in the Middle East.

It's not feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration