Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:39 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,178,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
From 2005-2007, they have been lean years for the army. People with lower education and criminal behaviors have helped in the surge of entering into the Army. Also, not to mention stop loss which keeps high amounts of people. Let's face it, the army is hurting for people. Hence why it does employ stop loss and enable those without high school diplomas (but with criminal records) to enter into the Army.

You are right on us meeting goals, but what type of military do we want?

Not to mention the fact that a 8/09/2009 headline in Pyongyang proclaimed North Korea "ready for war"...should we pull out?
Re: N Korea............that country could probably be destroyed by guided missiles alone---------it is is, Kim's boys are all but begging S Korea for aid since the economic sanctions are starting to bite down hard.

As for the Armed Forces today; our severely injured economy is 'encouraging' many high quality folks (Yuppies even) to enlist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,585,798 times
Quote:
Actually, funny story about leaving the doors unlocked on vacation. We were leaving for Ivory Coast. We left thinking the garage door was closed. It wasn't, the sensor detected the cat and rose back up. Our neighbor closed it.

Once I left keys on the car door overnight. My car was still there. All I got was a note saying that next time, be careful.

We obviously use common sense (these are isolated incidents) but we realize that statistically it is rare for things to get stolen in our area. Rare events do happen, but again, not the norm.

The reason why these wars are dismal failures is because you can't fight an intangible.
I left the keys in the front door of my house overnight (more than once). However, that is the exception. Try leaving the keys in the door in some neighborhoods -- like the Mexican border.

Quote:
Also, THERE is a difference between a house/thief and the border/immigrants. Sorry, but that's common sense.
Somehow I knew you couldn’t resist. At least it wasn’t 7 paragraphs.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,250,858 times
Quote:
From 2005-2007, they have been lean years for the army. People with lower education and criminal behaviors have helped in the surge of entering into the Army. Also, not to mention stop loss which keeps high amounts of people. Let's face it, the army is hurting for people. Hence why it does employ stop loss and enable those without high school diplomas (but with criminal records) to enter into the Army.

You are right on us meeting goals, but what type of military do we want?

Not to mention the fact that a 8/09/2009 headline in Pyongyang proclaimed North Korea "ready for war"...should we pull out?
becareful what you say about those who would serve. That is an Obama line of BS. Todays military is the most highly trained, well balanced military in our history as well as the history of the world.
Those criminal low class no education guys are working on and repairing technology that very few of Obama's friends and those who think like them could never hope to grasp the fundamentals of.
Guy normally I can find a way to to relate to your posts but this one crossed the line by a mile...
Fact you can not get a security clearance if you have a criminal record.
Fact most service personel do in fact have at least a confidential security clearance.
Fact the population of the military pretty much reflects the population of the USA. In other words all walks of life including college grads.
Fact a college grad is not more intellegent than a non-grad simply because of a diploma.
The big difference between the military and the general population is that in the Military we obsess less over what is PC and focus on doing our jobs.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I respectfully disagree with the West Point grad. Pull our troops from Korea, phase in fresh recruits as part of their training and it is a 0 additional cost venture and the recruits would benefit from some real hands on training.
Army recruitment is down??? Then why the 9months to a year wait to be able to enlist?
This is true; also in other branches of the military. I have a friend whose son wants to join the Air Force. Although he is a bright young man and aced his exam, he must wait because so many want to join.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:52 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,572,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

You've got to admit, though..he DOES have a point. Often, on this forum, we forget the power of simple, old fashioned common sense.

I, for one, am grateful for the reminder. Yes...common sense. Good point.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:57 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,914,627 times
Quote:
I left the keys in the front door of my house overnight (more than once). However, that is the exception. Try leaving the keys in the door in some neighborhoods -- like the Mexican border.

My aunt has left keys on her house...she lives in Chula Vista (1-5 miles from the border). Nice part of town (Otay Ranch). The exception are the rapists, and terrorists, and so on and so forth you mention. The vast majority work, pay taxes, try to speak English (universal fluency by 2/3rd generation). They really are not too different than previous groups. Actually this debate originated with the "Know Nothings"...we saw that everything worked out.

Something told me you had some common sense to figure it out.
sup?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:01 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,533,280 times
definitely lack of unity--- kind of like the conservatives that dont wana wear all black and goose step waddle behind rush limbaugh. i personally jumped up and down and cheered when they finished the fence at san ysidro.
its effect was dramatic and immediate. i could hear the howling all the way from los pinos.
signed
a tree hugger

Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,914,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Re: N Korea............that country could probably be destroyed by guided missiles alone---------it is is, Kim's boys are all but begging S Korea for aid since the economic sanctions are starting to bite down hard.

As for the Armed Forces today; our severely injured economy is 'encouraging' many high quality folks (Yuppies even) to enlist.
Yeah, except it any fallout from a bomb were to enter into China/Russia that would create significant problems on our already strained relation with them.

Armed Forces today focuses those hardest hit by the recession...typically those with less education.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:06 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,250,858 times
Quote:
This is true; also in other branches of the military. I have a friend whose son wants to join the Air Force. Although he is a bright young man and aced his exam, he must wait because so many want to join.
Pretty sure I know the young man you speak of. If it is who I think it is his intelligence dwarfs most...
He is a well spoken able debater. Has enjoyed the benefits of private schools most of his life. His Mother a hard core fiercely independent woman who asks for no handouts and makes no excuses for it. A single mother who has forgotten more about hardship than most can ever imagine.
This young man is what gives me hope for the next generation. Someday I hope to teach him a few skills that he has expressed interest in.
So here is evidence that not only criminals and the poorly educated join the Military. Many join because the wish to serve their country.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Pretty sure I know the young man you speak of. If it is who I think it is his intelligence dwarfs most...
He is a well spoken able debater. Has enjoyed the benefits of private schools most of his life. His Mother a hard core fiercely independent woman who asks for no handouts and makes no excuses for it. A single mother who has forgotten more about hardship than most can ever imagine.
This young man is what gives me hope for the next generation. Someday I hope to teach him a few skills that he has expressed interest in.
So here is evidence that not only criminals and the poorly educated join the Military. Many join because the wish to serve their country.
Absolutely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration