Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:59 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I've been to Switzerland. I was in Vevey for 3 months. Great place. Fortunately I speak French. However, they hated it when I spoke English while I was on the phone.

The Swiss will not accept you, untill you speak PERFECT German, French, Italian, or Romansch.

This is not a great message to send out to the world. In order to move to Switzerland, you need approval not only of the Canton, but of the city as well.

I never stated that the US was a nation of "hate mongers". I believe just because one nation does one thing we need not follow in their footsteps.
Shouldn’t a sovereign nation have the right to determine their laws, and who will and will not be admitted? If foreigners don’t like it, they don’t have to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 12:59 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Who said anything about fighting? We use our Marines and Army to guard the border between North and South Korea why not use them on our own border?
What additional cost? Infact it would save money. No Isolation duty pay, no hazardous duty pay, the logistics to support guarding our own border would be next to free compared to the cost of moving men and materials 6000 miles. Seal the border and that will stop the majority of illegals from entering.
Pass laws that hammer employers and enablers and that will force self deportation.
That is an international dispute that directly affects our national safety. Contrary to the fear instilled people on this board, illegal immigration does not affect national security as much as you think.

So what, we magically grow troops? They magically just appear on the border? We magically solve our international crises? It's complicated.

Laws that hammer employers will not force self deportation. Coupled with other things (encouraging a guest worker program) this may help create a BETTER legal method to enter into our nation.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:00 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
I've been to Switzerland. I was in Vevey for 3 months. Great place. Fortunately I speak French. However, they hated it when I spoke English while I was on the phone.

The Swiss will not accept you, untill you speak PERFECT German, French, Italian, or Romansch.

This is not a great message to send out to the world. In order to move to Switzerland, you need approval not only of the Canton, but of the city as well.

I never stated that the US was a nation of "hate mongers". I believe just because one nation does one thing we need not follow in their footsteps.
It's not one nation. Check immigration statistics in all of Western Europe. They are much stricter about how many people they let in compared to the US.

There's a REASON for that. Not controlling your borders is stupid and self destructive. If you let 20 million unskilled people in whose birth rate is twice what the natives is, you then have an ever expanding group of underclass that put strains on your entire infrastructure. The Europeans know this. They have a more extensive social safety net than the US does, and they want to be able to keep it that way. It's very difficult to do with an exploding population of people who are in need of government help, who don't understand the language, who don't have health insurance, etc, ad infinitum.

At least if you control your immigration, for every one unskilled worker from Mexico, you could let in one person with a PHD from India. What we have is about 10 times the unskilled workers coming in because they are illegal, not to mention that the "anchors" allow more unskilled family members to come and stay.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Shouldn’t a sovereign nation have the right to determine their laws, and who will and will not be admitted? If foreigners don’t like it, they don’t have to come.
Exactly my point. We are a sovereign nation that needs to determine its own laws to suit the populace of the its residents. Since said residents are in contact with illegal residents, it is needed that parity is achieved otherwise a South Africa type situation will occur. A fast gorwing permenant underclass will develop hampering growth.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:03 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,245 times
Quote:
That's a horrible idea. We need troops near places WE started wars in or have major conflicts in. N. and S. Korea is prime example. We need to stay there since the mentality of the N. Koreans is that the Korean War is still going on. We need troops in Germany and Turkey since we are heavily involved in the Middle East.

It's not feasible.
Considering that South Korea is heavily armed, heavily trained militarily and quite technologically advanced, I think they're perfectly capable of defending themselves from North Korea which can barely feed its own people and relies on handouts from other nations.

On the other hand I think we can limit our bases in Europe to one considering that we're already going broke because we spend too much on many things, incl. subsidizing our military and its bases overseas.

In addition, we certainly don't need to waste money on building a military base in Colombia which has inevitably irritated the Venezuelans and other South Americans.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's not one nation. Check immigration statistics in all of Western Europe. They are much stricter about how many people they let in compared to the US.

There's a REASON for that. Not controlling your borders is stupid and self destructive. If you let 20 million unskilled people in whose birth rate is twice what the natives is, you then have an ever expanding group of underclass that put strains on your entire infrastructure. The Europeans know this. They have a more extensive social safety net than the US does, and they want to be able to keep it that way. It's very difficult to do with an exploding population of people who are in need of government help, who don't understand the language, who don't have health insurance, etc, ad infinitum.

At least if you control your immigration, for every one unskilled worker from Mexico, you could let in one person with a PHD from India. What we have is about 10 times the unskilled workers coming in because they are illegal, not to mention that the "anchors" allow more unskilled family members to come and stay.
You mentioned Switzerland...hence why I brought up Switzerland. Putting a miltary is stupid on the border. There is a middle ground on this conflict.
For the record the majority of Hispanics (illegal and legal) do understand the language. I state Hispanics since they comprise the majority of illegal immigrants and since we are talking about the Southern border.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Considering that South Korea is heavily armed, heavily trained militarily and quite technologically advanced, I think they're perfectly capable of defending themselves from North Korea which can barely feed its own people and relies on handouts from other nations.

On the other hand I think we can limit our bases in Europe to one considering that we're already going broke because we spend too much on subsidizing our military bases overseas.

In addition, we certainly don't need to waste money on building a military base in Colombia which is inevitably irritating the Venezuelans and other South Americans.
You are right. We shouldn't waste money on said projects. We also shouldn't waste money on putting troops on the border.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
That is an international dispute that directly affects our national safety. Contrary to the fear instilled people on this board, illegal immigration does not affect national security as much as you think.

So what, we magically grow troops? They magically just appear on the border? We magically solve our international crises? It's complicated.

Laws that hammer employers will not force self deportation. Coupled with other things (encouraging a guest worker program) this may help create a BETTER legal method to enter into our nation.
It won't solve the problem that too many of the illegals are unskilled and put strain on infrastructure beyond what a skilled worker would.

If you need more landscapers, you pay them more. If you don't want to pay them more, people can cut their lawns themselves. If you want more people to work at Burger King, you pay more. So the cost of a Burger goes up? That's the law of supply and demand. If demand goes down, fast food joints close down and people buy more groceries to feed themselve. It all evens out in the end.

what happened in this country is that people who didn't want to pay more broke the law and hired people who don't pay taxes and will work for less, and the government looked the other way because 1) the people who don't want to pay more own the government 2) the Hispanic lobby saw their power increase as illegal immigration skyrocketed, therefore they also lobby the government to look the other way.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
You mentioned Switzerland...hence why I brought up Switzerland. Putting a miltary is stupid on the border. There is a middle ground on this conflict.
For the record the majority of Hispanics (illegal and legal) do understand the language. I state Hispanics since they comprise the majority of illegal immigrants and since we are talking about the Southern border.
You said that just because one nation controls it's borders, it doesn't mean that we should. Controlling your border is a figurative term for controlling immigration by numerous means, not just putting up a wall.

My response to that initial point is: it isn't just one nation. Most Western nations control their borders much more strictly that we do. What you came up with to that point was: that doesn't mean we should.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't. Anything else?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:14 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
You are right. We shouldn't waste money on said projects. We also shouldn't waste money on putting troops on the border.
In other words, we should simply continue to allow Mexican drug cartels to have unfettered access to this country, and to propagate their heinous murders. We should also continue to allow any terrorist organization, any illegal alien fleeing prosecution for rape and murder in their countries of origin to enter this country. We have an obligation, and it is not cost prohibitive to protect the borders of other countries, but not our own. Do I understand you correctly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration