Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 01:49 PM

24 posts, read 31,780 times

Advertisements

Wish I knew how to quote Andreabeth's message from Mexico City paper. I'm not a good computer person.
Look, we're fat! In fact, we're obese. Mexico is fat, too! Europe is getting fatter. Beans, rice, fatty pork don't make you slim. Fast food joints aren't slimming. What do you call starving? It can be not getting enough food or not getting the correct food? I am tiny and all my life people have tried to fatten me up. I eat so well, but fat is not well-fed.

Give me a reputable source, not a newspaper that lists no sources in the quote. I don't care about fat. We see fat, but we don't see hungry. Why just talk about Mexico? How about other countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 03:47 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,480,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie-mae View Post
Wish I knew how to quote Andreabeth's message from Mexico City paper. I'm not a good computer person.
Look, we're fat! In fact, we're obese. Mexico is fat, too! Europe is getting fatter. Beans, rice, fatty pork don't make you slim. Fast food joints aren't slimming. What do you call starving? It can be not getting enough food or not getting the correct food? I am tiny and all my life people have tried to fatten me up. I eat so well, but fat is not well-fed.

Give me a reputable source, not a newspaper that lists no sources in the quote. I don't care about fat. We see fat, but we don't see hungry. Why just talk about Mexico? How about other countries?
Stay on topic.

Did you even read the article?

Quote:
Mexican health officials say it could surpass the United States as the most obese country within 10 years if trends continue.

More than 71 percent of Mexican women and 66 percent of Mexican men are overweight, according to the latest national surveys.
Mexican health officials are the source of the information.

This is your statement, is it not?:

Quote:
Consider not blaming the individual for trying to feed a starving family.
Mexico sends by far the most illegal immigrants to the US of any country. Your starving families claim does not stand up to scrutiny.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Stay on topic.

Did you even read the article?

Mexican health officials are the source of the information.

This is your statement, is it not?:

Mexico sends by far the most illegal immigrants to the US of any country. Your starving families claim does not stand up to scrutiny.
Nice!
1) Yes, I read the article, top to bottom. I thought that our topic was immigration, and some of it illegal. I think that it should be addressed better than it has been. It is illegal! If I knew how to solve the problem, I would be in congress. At least, that's what we were writing about.
2) I still see nothing in that article that has to do with illegal aliens. It makes the point that starvation was no longer the issue in Mexico, but that Mexicans love fatty foods and fat people have a greater incidence of diseases such as diabetes. This is bankrupting Mexico's fragile health care system, not counting social problems such as space on public transportation.
3) America may lose its place as #1 in obesity! We are not discussing, illegal immigration by fat people from Mexico.

But, you are correct. I should not have responded to the fat, fatter, fattest article, from a newspaper quoting a Mexican health official, a source above reproach, no doubt.

I don't care. Where does this have anything to do with illegal immigration? Leave off personal attacks. I don't do that.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:05 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,328,873 times
The connection I see is that Mexicans claim they are coming here illegally because they are starving. If they are fat how are they starving? Well that theory got blown out of the water, didn't it?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:25 PM

265 posts, read 597,535 times
Quote:
Nice!
1) Yes, I read the article, top to bottom. I thought that our topic was immigration, and some of it illegal. I think that it should be addressed better than it has been. It is illegal! If I knew how to solve the problem, I would be in congress. At least, that's what we were writing about.
2) I still see nothing in that article that has to do with illegal aliens. It makes the point that starvation was no longer the issue in Mexico, but that Mexicans love fatty foods and fat people have a greater incidence of diseases such as diabetes. This is bankrupting Mexico's fragile health care system, not counting social problems such as space on public transportation.
3) America may lose its place as #1 in obesity! We are not discussing, illegal immigration by fat people from Mexico.

But, you are correct. I should not have responded to the fat, fatter, fattest article, from a newspaper quoting a Mexican health official, a source above reproach, no doubt.

I don't care. Where does this have anything to do with illegal immigration? Leave off personal attacks. I don't do that.
So what's your solution to Mexico's social problems? Have everyone come over here.

Because me and my gun have something to say about that.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callo View Post
So what's your solution to Mexico's social problems? Have everyone come over here.
Because me and my gun have something to say about that.
Your gun? Your answer is to shoot people who are here, we think, illegally as they come over? This is too much for me. It is no longer a possible discussion.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:51 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,561,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I am not at all surprised. Its only a low percentage of idealists who believe that illegals are of any benefit to this nation.
Except for the fact that "they" do the jobs that most Americans think they are too good to do...they clean your offices, take care of your yard, scrub floors and toilets...just sayin'...

Signed,
An Idealist

Old 09-18-2009, 06:55 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,561,847 times
Quote:
Your gun? Your answer is to shoot people who are here, we think, illegally as they come over? This is too much for me. It is no longer a possible discussion.

You are correct. A person with that type of attitude about any issue is not worth the energy it takes to try to have any kind of intellectual discourse with...frighteningly there are so many like this poster ready to take their gun and think that will solve a problem. Very sad...

Old 09-18-2009, 06:57 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,480,983 times
Quote:
Nice!
Yes we are. This is what you said, "Consider not blaming the individual (illegal immigrant) for trying to feed a starving family". The majority of illegal aliens come to the US from Mexico. Obesity is a far greater problem in Mexico that starvation so frankly, I doubt that the majority of our illegal aliens are coming here to feed families on the brink of starvation. The 'starving family' scenario is little more than a ploy to elicit sympathy for illegal aliens.

Quote:
Here you go. Data from the World Health Organization itself.

Quote:
Mexico
Definitions of Obesity/Overweight Used
Data Type: prevalence
Definition: BMI ≥ 25 kg/m²

Males
Age Group Prevalence (%)
20-69 66.4

Females
Age Group Prevalence (%)
20-69 67.9
https://apps.who.int/infobase/report...ycode=102359c1

Quote:
There is nothing in my post that can be construed as a personal attack.

Last edited by andreabeth; 09-18-2009 at 07:12 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 07:04 PM

265 posts, read 597,535 times
Quote:
Somebody is certainly thin-skinned. You shouldn't let the opinions of faceless people on the Internet bother you, honey. It's bad for your health.

But yeah, those people are parasites and a scourge on the country. If they won't leave by themselves, I see nothing wrong with encouraging them to go. It's my country, not theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration