Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 06:37 PM

4,478 posts, read 5,208,077 times

Advertisements

The fact we are a rich country and the poor illegals should be given a chance to get a piece of that supercilious American pie is an age old stale and redundant argument. Everyone one comes from the accident of genetics and birth situation. So if you believe being white is great does that mean that everyone should have surgeries, bleach their skin and become white? Maybe what people should do and are more naturally inclined to do is make the best of their situation and attempt to better it in their own skin.

Mexicans should not abandon their country all together and start over much like us wastefull Americans do when we aren't satisfied with older homes in older suburbs and thus build monstrocity filled exurbs as far as the eye can see. This benign (yet reckless) behavior mirrors that of locusts or viruses (for you religious folks who seem to be preaching here). Mexicans or (insert poor impoverished nation here) should have fewer children, speak up and choose responsibility and integrity over corruption. There is no price tag for integrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 11:20 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,572,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
There is a lady and she has this poor little girl who is two and she is so fat she can barely walk! I mean very overweight and unhealthy for a little baby. I also see many overweight Spanish babies for some reason. I don't know if its their food or fast food, but I see it alot.

Not knowing this woman or her situation, I can't comment specifically on why her child is so fat...however, poor people commonly are overweight because why? When your child is hungry and you are poor, macaroni and cheese, rice, lots of carbs, will fill a child's hungry stomach quicker and cheaper than high quality foods...

Old 09-20-2009, 11:24 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,572,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As for that 'third world nation' bit; judging by most of them, personal responsibility obviously is not a cultural hallmark.

If discussing just Mexico: its per capita income is over $14K a year----------which ain't poor.

Nice. I rest my case people. Apparently compassion is not one of your cultural hallmarks. This is why I should not visit this particular forum again. Thanks for making my point.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:46 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,237,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Nice. I rest my case people. Apparently compassion is not one of your cultural hallmarks. This is why I should not visit this particular forum again. Thanks for making my point.
Starvation is no longer an issue in Mexico-----------although, obesity is now becoming a problem.

Again: we owe that nation nothing----------it needs to buck up and take responsibility for its own colossal failures.

What I do not understand was that Germany was torn to pieces during WW II (ghastly manpower losses, many of its cities all but destroyed, starvation, losing a lot of its land, etc) ; which it5brought upon itself yet within one generation that a fragment of that nation (West Germany) became an economic powerhouse far surpassing the Nazi era. If formerly devastated Germany could do so---------what is Mexico's problem?

Old 09-20-2009, 01:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,425,390 times
Quote:
Starvation is no longer an issue in Mexico-----------although, obesity is now becoming a problem.

Again: we owe that nation nothing----------it needs to buck up and take responsibility for its own colossal failures.

What I do not understand was that Germany was torn to pieces during WW II (ghastly manpower losses, many of its cities all but destroyed, starvation, losing a lot of its land, etc) ; which it5brought upon itself yet within one generation that a fragment of that nation (West Germany) became an economic powerhouse far surpassing the Nazi era. If formerly devastated Germany could do so---------what is Mexico's problem?
The United States and its allies poured hundreds of millions of dollars, if not billions of dollars, into rebuilding West Germany after World War II. We learned the hard way after World War I that leaving a strong military power devastated and humiliated was not a wise thing to do. That is not to say that the same level of investment would produce the same incredible results in other countries, though.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The United States and its allies poured hundreds of millions of dollars, if not billions of dollars, into rebuilding West Germany after World War II. We learned the hard way after World War I that leaving a strong military power devastated and humiliated was not a wise thing to do. That is not to say that the same level of investment would produce the same incredible results in other countries, though.
In all fairness: Germany suffered very little physical damage after WW I

Quote:
The Marshall Plan

This account has not mentioned the Marshall Plan. Can’t West Germany’s revival be attributed mainly to that? The answer is no. The reason is simple: Marshall Plan aid to West Germany was not that large. Cumulative aid from the Marshall Plan and other aid programs totaled only $2 billion through October 1954. Even in 1948 and 1949, when aid was at its peak, Marshall Plan aid was less than 5 percent of German national income. Other countries that received substantial Marshall Plan aid exhibited lower growth than Germany.
And; Germany lost the equivalent of $10 billion dollars in ca. 1950 dollars shortly after WW II due to all potential patent royalties, etc. being seized.

German Economic Miracle: The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics | Library of Economics and Liberty

Old 09-20-2009, 02:53 PM

1,765 posts, read 3,424,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I am not at all surprised. Its only a low percentage of idealists who believe that illegals are of any benefit to this nation.
My sentiments exactly, but isn't idealist a euphemism for ?

Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 PM

24 posts, read 31,819 times
I told myself "No more contributing" to this post.. Then, I found an idea that I really liked and tried to give a rep point to a noisy flower. No! "Spread points around first!", sayeth the guiders of our blog. Then, I disagreed, but could understand the thought and valid comment from a bear, but that wouldn't work either. "Thou art a computer 0", the message seemed to be. So, here I am again.

I lived in W. Germany (shortly before Pres. Reagan) for over 2 years. Most Germans enjoy a very self-regimented society. They follow orders exactly, precisely. Everything must be orderly and neat. No litter. Recycling is law or you are fined. I could tell you rules for having a vet cremate beloved Fido! But, this is not a pet thread, and you would not believe it.
No one crosses streets on red lights, even without cars or people waiting at the corner. I was blown away. No one is allowed to have a handgun and only in a gun club is a rifle allowed. A license for a gun, ammunition and passing a mental health test + more is a must. This is an easier society to control than a Mexican, Italian, French or American people. How can I forget the lady at the doctor's: "Oh, I know where you live! You sometimes leave your outside light on at night." Danke!
Does this mean that there is no crime, prejudice or illegal immigration? Ha! They are human beings.

There was a murder in our German town. Wanted signs were posted only in Turkish! We found that everywhere we went, people were prejudiced against the people of another country. This "other" is always the person who has the "lowest" job. Germans hated the Turks and Italians (who were the cleaning people everywhere). The French weren't wild about Algerians. The English didn't care for the Indians. No one liked the arabs. Our Polish jokes are Belgian jokes in France.

Did it changed post-iron curtain? Family who lived 2 yrs. in Essen until 2007 says "No." Don't you realize that fear really IS the cause of hatred and distrust. I want everything legal and honesty is important to me because that is my word. Am I an idealist, a Pollyanna, an apologist of illegals ? No. I've thrown out more students who were dishonest, than you can believe. Words really are mightier than a sword (gun).
Mental rep. points from me to all those who write cogently, can actually spell in English and care enough to make a good point, whether I think you are right or wrong.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:58 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,425,390 times
Quote:
In all fairness: Germany suffered very little physical damage after WW I
The economic damage was enough; it was devastating and contributed greatly to World War II. It created an atmosphere in Germany that allowed the Nazi party to take power.

Quote:
And; Germany lost the equivalent of $10 billion dollars in ca. 1950 dollars shortly after WW II due to all potential patent royalties, etc. being seized.

German Economic Miracle: The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics | Library of Economics and Liberty
They have done fine in spite of that. Germany's biggest economic burden right now is the former East Germany. They absorbed what was essentially a third-world country and kept right on going. That is not to say things are perfect in the east; they definitely are not. The former East Germany still lags far behind the former West Germany in terms of economic development. But German reunification did not destroy the German economy, as many predicted it would.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The economic damage was enough; it was devastating and contributed greatly to World War II. It created an atmosphere in Germany that allowed the Nazi party to take power.

They have done fine in spite of that. Germany's biggest economic burden right now is the former East Germany. They absorbed what was essentially a third-world country and kept right on going. That is not to say things are perfect in the east; they definitely are not. The former East Germany still lags far behind the former West Germany in terms of economic development. But German reunification did not destroy the German economy, as many predicted it would.
And the economic damage after WW II was many times greater..........Germany needed to get its Nazi ass kicked for following a fool like Adolf Hitler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration