Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:43 AM

776 posts, read 1,276,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
The illegal alien should use that $10 to pay part of the hospital bill for his anchor baby instead of sending it to Mexico.
Good point. Maybe. But we don't really know if those sending remittances are the ones ringing up unpaid debts, do we? If you have proof of this I would like to see it.

Back on point, it doesn't hurt us that remittances are sent out of our borders, does it?

Old 10-23-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
5.) See what the flood of illegals has done to our public education. It goes way beyond that $10 crossing borders!
Sure, illegals are a drain on our school systems. But this thread is about remittances. And what a good thing they are for our economy!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Thats 45 billion dollars that NEVER comes back into the US economy too!
But that is okay. We just gave them a football stadium full of paper with green ink. And in return 100,000 houses got drywalled and painted, and all of the fruit fields in Napa Valley got picked. As far as I am concerned they can have all the pretty green printed paper that they want. Speed up the printing presses!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
So, wow ! Let's import 53 million illegals from India,, Darfur, etc. They can send their money to their homeland !!! Anyone have a problem with that ?
Heck no. I got no problem with that. As long as they send the money they earn home--well, except for what they spend here on food, clothing and low rider chevys. (No, wait. That is another group who buys the low rider chevys. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
If you do, you are heartless, and totally un American. !!! So what if some of them get hurt on the job, and are laid up for months, and want to bring over the whole clan to take care of them. We can handle it, right ? Just think ! They can all get saved by jesus, and go to KFC. Picture them in their cute baseball hats, and sarongs !
Okay. You are getting silly with your improbable scenarious. Sure, a few may get injured and laid up. But that is beyond the scope of what we are discussing. We are talking about how great remittances are for the U.S. economy in this thread.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:38 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
We taxpayers are basically subsidizing this illegal population while they send back what money they earn never to be seen again in our economy. That money is either untaxed from them working under the table or they have committed identity theft by using a fake social number. Sounds like a great deal to me, someone is taking care of my needs fincially while I send untaxed money back to my family. What a deal!

IMO those remittances should be taxed 30-40 percent which is what it should have been taxed in the first place. If they can't show where the money came from and that it has been legally taxed then 30-40% is more than fair.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:02 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Remittances—illegals sending money home to family—are good for America. The dollars crossing the Rio Grande are only pieces of paper. You can’t eat them, or wear them, or make houses out of them. When a dollar bill leaves the U.S. we lose a scrap of paper. But our economy gains the labor value from the illegal alien who earned that dollar bill. So let's hope that more illegals send greenbacks home from the U.S.
Just a pro illegal apologiser/sympathiser/abetter with an obvious agenda spouting amateurish marxism. The illegal Mexican earning the $10 under the table from a criminal employer displaced a taxpaying American who would have spent that $10 in the US circulating through many hands and benefiting many other Americans. That's the whole idea of these stimulus packages-getting money in circulation.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We taxpayers are basically subsidizing this illegal population while they send back what money they earn never to be seen again in our economy. That money is either untaxed from them working under the table or they have committed identity theft by using a fake social number. Sounds like a great deal to me, someone is taking care of my needs fincially while I send untaxed money back to my family. What a deal!
But they do generally pay some taxes on it, right? For instance, they pay FICA. Also, there would presumably be some small amount of witholding tax wouldn't there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
IMO those remittances should be taxed 30-40 percent which is what it should have been taxed in the first place. If they can't show where the money came from and that it has been legally taxed then 30-40% is more than fair.
Even so. The value of the work done by the illegal to earn the remittance money is worth much more than the paper money sent back to the homeland. So we come out far ahead on remittances.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
Just a pro illegal apologiser/sympathiser/abetter with an obvious agenda spouting amateurish marxism. The illegal Mexican earning the $10 under the table from a criminal employer displaced a taxpaying American who would have spent that $10 in the US circulating through many hands and benefiting many other Americans. That's the whole idea of these stimulus packages-getting money in circulation.
Okay. Which is worth more, the $10 bill (piece of paper) or the services provided by the illegal alien to earn the $10 bill? How can we not benefit from this? We are trading pieces of paper for tangible work.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:59 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,141,957 times
Sending money to another country just gives them buying power. Money to pay for bribes. money to pay for the drug cartels and its also against the law to send cash with no tax liability anywhere , I cant do it so why should anyone else be able to. Sending money out before the person earning it has met HIS OBLIGATIONS HERE IS WRONG. What obligations are these? Things like paying taxes. Things like having insurance for you and your kids . If you live here illegal or not you got to pay your fair share. Do this first THEN maybe talk about amnesty and any rights an illegal may think he has.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:42 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
But they do generally pay some taxes on it, right? For instance, they pay FICA. Also, there would presumably be some small amount of witholding tax wouldn't there?

Even so. The value of the work done by the illegal to earn the remittance money is worth much more than the paper money sent back to the homeland. So we come out far ahead on remittances.

With your logic we need to be stopping by Africa on the way back from Iraq so we can load up our warships with people that will work for 1/3 the amount the current Illegals do. My my would that start a bidding war. Why hire an illegal Mexican when I can hire an impoverished individual from that Continent. Besides, they need that remittance far more than the current batch of Illegals do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration