Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:34 PM

776 posts, read 1,276,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Sending money to another country just gives them buying power. Money to pay for bribes. money to pay for the drug cartels and its also against the law to send cash with no tax liability anywhere
As long as the bribe money and drug cartel money stays outside the U.S., who cares? It would only be bad for our economy if it made its way back to the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Sending money out before the person earning it has met HIS OBLIGATIONS HERE IS WRONG. What obligations are these? Things like paying taxes. Things like having insurance for you and your kids . If you live here illegal or not you got to pay your fair share. Do this first THEN maybe talk about amnesty and any rights an illegal may think he has.
Sure these things are wrong. But in this thread we are only talking about how good remittances are for our economy. There are a hundred other threads to discuss these other aspects of illegal immigration.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
With your logic we need to be stopping by Africa on the way back from Iraq so we can load up our warships with people that will work for 1/3 the amount the current Illegals do. My my would that start a bidding war. Why hire an illegal Mexican when I can hire an impoverished individual from that Continent. Besides, they need that remittance far more than the current batch of Illegals do.
More illegals from Africa?? I had not really thought along those lines. But, whatever. (rolls eyes)

I am just saying that remittances are not a bad thing. We are getting labor from illegals, and in return giving them pieces of colored paper that they send to the homeland. How is that bad--the remittances part, that is.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:41 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,479,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
More illegals from Africa?? I had not really thought along those lines. But, whatever. (rolls eyes)

I am just saying that remittances are not a bad thing. We are getting labor from illegals, and in return giving them pieces of colored paper that they send to the homeland. How is that bad--the remittances part, that is.
This is the first time I have heard the 'money is nothing but a piece of colored paper argument'. Why don't you try giving your landlord a few scraps of construction paper the next time your rent is due and let me know how that works out.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
This is the first time I have heard the 'money is nothing but a piece of colored paper argument'. Why don't you try giving your landlord a few scraps of construction paper the next time your rent is due and let me know how that works out.
Exactly. EXACTLY. If my landlord (that is, if I had one) would take colored paper, then that would be good for me. Just like it is good for the U.S. economy to get valuable labor from illegals in return for dollar bills that they then send outside our borders. Exactly!!

Old 10-23-2009, 03:17 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:

Well, it appears you are bending it to suite an agenda of the current Illegals that send money to Mexico and Guatemala. If all we want is bang for our buck we should use the cheapest labor possible and not angle it to the South. So, ya. Whatever. I think we've got you figured out by reading between the lines.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Well, it appears you are bending it to suite an agenda of the current Illegals that send money to Mexico and Guatemala. If all we want is bang for our buck we should use the cheapest labor possible and not angle it to the South. So, ya. Whatever. I think we've got you figured out by reading between the lines.
I guess I don't understand. Is that a bad thing? Bang for the buck is good, right?

Old 10-23-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I guess I don't understand. Is that a bad thing? Bang for the buck is good, right?
Yes, so why are we dealing with S of the border when we can import better workers for less money?

Old 10-23-2009, 05:52 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,442 times
Quote:
Okay. Which is worth more, the $10 bill (piece of paper) or the services provided by the illegal alien to earn the $10 bill? How can we not benefit from this? We are trading pieces of paper for tangible work.
You seem to think that the hole dug by the illegal Mexican is worth more than the $10 paid by the criminal employer to the illegal Mexican for digging the hole. More amateurish maxist theory but probably just pushing your agenda. A dug hole has little value to a criminal employer until the criminal employer has some way to profit from the dug hole. These profits made by the criminal employer from the dug hole enable the criminal employer to conduct business which then profits other businesses. So you agree on how the hole dug by the illegal Mexican eventually helps the economy but refuse to acknowledge, for your agenda, how that $10 earned by the illegal Mexican if spent locally could also pass through many hands to greatly multiply the effect on the economy of that $10.

The total remittances from all illegal aliens is about 200 billion a year. That's 200 billion that doesn't get circulated in the local enocomy which would greatly magnify the effects of 200 billion.

I say that we impose a 40% tax on remittances.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
You seem to think that the hole dug by the illegal Mexican is worth more than the $10 paid by the criminal employer to the illegal Mexican for digging the hole. More amateurish maxist theory but probably just pushing your agenda. A dug hole has little value to a criminal employer until the criminal employer has some way to profit from the dug hole. These profits made by the criminal employer from the dug hole enable the criminal employer to conduct business which then profits other businesses. So you agree on how the hole dug by the illegal Mexican eventually helps the economy but refuse to acknowledge, for your agenda, how that $10 earned by the illegal Mexican if spent locally could also pass through many hands to greatly multiply the effect on the economy of that $10.

The total remittances from all illegal aliens is about 200 billion a year. That's 200 billion that doesn't get circulated in the local enocomy which would greatly magnify the effects of 200 billion.

I say that we impose a 40% tax on remittances.

That's what the rest of us pay in taxes, 30-40%. Why exclude those that are prospering off of this type of work?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, so why are we dealing with S of the border when we can import better workers for less money?
Fine by me. My premise is that Remittances are Good for America!! Who cares what Godforsaken country those pieces of paper are being sent to--as long as they don't come back to U.S. soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration