Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:50 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
What industries and what companies? I'm in the restaurant industry and we have the complete opposite approach. The risk of fines/penalties we could face are far more costly than the miniscule cost savings of purposely hiring people who aren't documented.
I don't have a list of those companies who oppose it. I imagine they are companies that have illegals on their payrolls or paying them under the table. You tell me then why e-verify hasn't been implemented across the board. Also the Hispanic advocacy groups are always lobbying congress on these issues and their Hispanic congressmen keep fighting it also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 01:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Yes, we should stop incarcerating non-violent criminals and instead punish them with steep monetary fines, work programs, community service, military service, etc. Does it really make sense to throw a guy in jail for tax evasion? No, just punish the crap out of him financially or ship him off to Iraq, you know something that actually helps the country out instead of wasting money holding him in a cell.

If you can't do the time. Don't do the crime.... dummy!

Old 12-03-2009, 02:43 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I don't have a list of those companies who oppose it. I imagine they are companies that have illegals on their payrolls or paying them under the table. You tell me then why e-verify hasn't been implemented across the board. Also the Hispanic advocacy groups are always lobbying congress on these issues and their Hispanic congressmen keep fighting it also.
You imagine is right...I think you are imagining this because I don't think there is any legitimate company in the US (AKA - a company that pays its taxes) that purposely hires illegal immigrants. If there was the government would've picked up on it by now and forced them to alter their practices.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:56 PM

309 posts, read 427,927 times
Quote:
You imagine is right...I think you are imagining this because I don't think there is any legitimate company in the US (AKA - a company that pays its taxes) that purposely hires illegal immigrants. If there was the government would've picked up on it by now and forced them to alter their practices.
Actually American Apparel in LA was busted not too long ago for employing 1600 + illegal aliens. As reported on CBSNews.com in Sept. of this year:
"A government inspection two months ago uncovered 1,600 illegal workers and another 200 who had problems with their work records, including, in some cases, faked social security numbers.
Peter Schey, a lawyer for American Apparel, told the Times that the company "is very disappointed and disheartened at having to terminate a very large number of workers who by and large have been reliable contributors to the success of the company."
American Apparel founder and Chief Executive Dov Charney wrote in a letter that he was upset that he would have to fire so many employees, a number that amounts to 10 percent of the company's workforce."It is my belief that immigrants bring prosperity to any economy," Charney wrote. American Apparel is known for its support of immigration reform. Charney told employees that if they got their work status in order they would be given preference for open jobs at the company."

Last edited by SDBorn; 12-03-2009 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 12-03-2009, 03:46 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Apparently you don't listen to or watch the news. There have been numerous employers that have been fined and/or jailed for knowingly hiring illegal aliens. One was a kosher meat packing plant in Iowa I believe.

Some employers do not hire illegal aliens knowlingly. The fake documents are so good that the employer is fooled. E-verify will fix that.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:34 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Even if a company who employs low-skill workers isn't employing illegals, keeping the flow of illegals going is still in their best interest because it keeps wages down overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration