Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
That doesn't mean I shouldn't have the right to chat with my neighbors. I shouldn't be obligated to worry about whether or not my neighbor cheats on their taxes or if their immigration documents are in order, that's their deal. I pay taxes so that law enforcement and government agencies exist to handle those issues. However, since they live on my block I see them every day and there is nothing wrong with chatting with them once in a while, that's all I'm saying.
I’m sure many illegals are “nice.” However, that does not change the fact that their lives are based on fraud and deception. I knew a very “nice” drug dealer – good to his mom, very generous and hospitable. But, he was still wrong, and I would never attempt to justify his behavior. If not for his chosen lifestyle, we would have remained friends. However, that would have required compromising my principles, which is something I refuse to do. Of course, we are all different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 09:51 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I assumed you were. You have made many statements based only on your personal experience. That's the error in your argument. You've been lucky.

Now, having lived in Minnesota myself for about a year, many times I heard a saying: "Sure it's cold but it keeps out the riff-raff." I found that to be for the most part true. From my observation, it seems to hold true for illegals as well.
I think most who've experienced the brutal winters would agree that it's not a place that would attract the lazy and shiftless types that tend to gravitate toward warmer climates. Let's face it, the illegals you find in a warm place are not the same you encounter in MN. There's also the fact that MN doesn't have any large cities. Illegals are attracted to larger cities for too many reasons to go into. I don't mean to be offensive but though Minneapolis is the biggest in MN, it's not a large city. If you take a look, you'd see the folks who seem to take issue with illegals most tend to be in the Southwest, Texas, Southern Pacific Coast, and Florida, i.e. the same states where it really is a huge problem.

In short, while most folks in the warmer climes are good people, the more pleasant climate also attracts the riff-raff both legal and illegal. Life is easier down here and that's exactly what lazy people seek. Though there are a few things I don't like about Minnesota's climate and geography, as a rule the population is anything but shiftless and lazy. Minnesota is a great place with amazing people. If it had an Ocean for at least one border, I'd still be there. But as nice as it is, it's hardly representative of the US in general.
Ok so to summarize:

Undocumented immigrants in Minnesota = good
Undocumented immigrants in states with warmer climates = bad

Old 11-25-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I’m sure many illegals are “nice.” However, that does not change the fact that their lives are based on fraud and deception. I knew a very “nice” drug dealer – good to his mom, very generous and hospitable. But, he was still wrong, and I would never attempt to justify his behavior. If not for his chosen lifestyle, we would have remained friends. However, that would have required compromising my principles, which is something I refuse to do. Of course, we are all different.
Right, because I have nothing against drug dealers either. I have nothing wrong with people who make money by fulfilling a demand. If the demand for drugs wasn't there, there would be no drug dealers. Drug dealers are just entrepeneurs trying to make a buck, who of course have the other risks of dodging the law. I'm well aware of the laws, but it doesn't mean I agree with them. If I had my way drugs would be legalized and taxed with part of the tax income going to education, making the trade safe and in recovery programs.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:01 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Right, because I have nothing against drug dealers either. I have nothing wrong with people who make money by fulfilling a demand. If the demand for drugs wasn't there, there would be no drug dealers. Drug dealers are just entrepeneurs trying to make a buck, who of course have the other risks of dodging the law. I'm well aware of the laws, but it doesn't mean I agree with them. If I had my way drugs would be legalized and taxed with part of the tax income going to education, making the trade safe and in recovery programs.
It is certainly your prerogative to condone criminal behavior. I appreciate your honesty.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:04 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,656 times
Quote:
Ok so to summarize:

Undocumented immigrants in Minnesota = good
Undocumented immigrants in states with warmer climates = bad
Gimme a break. Are you 12?

Old 11-25-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Gimme a break. Are you 12?
No, I'm just poking fun at your wild generalizations.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:25 AM

706 posts, read 940,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It is certainly your prerogative to condone criminal behavior. I appreciate your honesty.
"I have nothing against drug dealers either"

It took me about 4 seconds to get over my surprise on this one...But considering that he(?) also supports undocumented "migrants" it came as little surprise that he would also support any "unlicensed pharmacist"...What's next, a person who breaks into another persons home becomes an "undocumented tenant"..

His(?) problem is with the law,so he ignores them and their value...it's called "aiding and abetting.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
"I have nothing against drug dealers either"

It took me about 4 seconds to get over my surprise on this one...But considering that he(?) also supports undocumented "migrants" it came as little surprise that he would also support any "unlicensed pharmacist"...What's next, a person who breaks into another persons home becomes an "undocumented tenant"..

His(?) problem is with the law,so he ignores them and their value...it's called "aiding and abetting.
Quit trying to treat my views as black and white, I completely recognize the issue with undocumented immigrants in this country and I think the issue needs to be more heavily studied and then acted upon with a solution that is the most beneficial to all parties involved. The problem I have with alot of what is posted on this message board is the stereotyping, the generalizations and the general feelings of angst and hatred towards a large group of people residing in our country, hence my posts that may come off to you that I'm in support of people coming into the country without permission, working without permission, etc. Listen, I'm probably the biggest proponent of E-verify here, I've seen it work, it's a great program.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:31 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,656 times
Quote:
No, I'm just poking fun at your wild generalizations.
According to that rationale, stating that the sun is hot would be a generalization.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:46 AM

706 posts, read 940,350 times
Quote:
Quit trying to treat my views as black and white, I completely recognize the issue with undocumented immigrants in this country and I think the issue needs to be more heavily studied and then acted upon with a solution that is the most beneficial to all parties involved. The problem I have with alot of what is posted on this message board is the stereotyping, the generalizations and the general feelings of angst and hatred towards a large group of people residing in our country, hence my posts that may come off to you that I'm in support of people coming into the country without permission, working without permission, etc. Listen, I'm probably the biggest proponent of E-verify here, I've seen it work, it's a great program.

You are an apologist, pure and simple. Your posts have shown which side of the "arguement" you are on....And I will continue to respond accordingly. I stand by what I stated

BTW, E-verify is voluntary unless the busness is a government contractor....Not nearly strong enough.

Last edited by borderlord; 11-25-2009 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: add line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration